[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION) Page 297

Started by Prof. 9 January 31st, 2007 7:25 AM
  • 27748 replies

swampert249

finally got his braces off! :D

Age 23
Male
Our planet Earth (Just in case u think Im an alien)
Seen August 18th, 2014
Posted July 11th, 2010
15 posts
13.4 Years
Please help me! I need help changing the hero sprite! I do not even know the program i am supposed to use! I have searched google about a billion times but it never gave me what i wanted! Help!
Seen December 27th, 2014
Posted November 12th, 2014
980 posts
13.5 Years
Please help me! I need help changing the hero sprite! I do not even know the program i am supposed to use! I have searched google about a billion times but it never gave me what i wanted! Help!
In order to change the hero sprite, you need a tool called Unlz-gba. If you want a link to it, Click here: Unlz-gba!

If you want to change the OW of the hero, you need OWE.
Seen December 27th, 2014
980 posts
13.5 Years
I have a question. If I import a new tileset in FR or Ruby, how do I make the animations work for the doors and flowers? If I try to make a door/warp behavior byte and walk in, the door doesn't move.
To make the door usable, go to Block Editor in Advance Map. On the left side, scroll down to find the door. Click on it. You will find on the right side, a section called Behavior Byte. If it's 00 00, change it to 69 00, as in Use door/warp.
You will also see Background Byte; Make it 00 20.

For the animation of the door, not sure. :\ Sorry.

Hope that helps.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.

Age 26
Male
Seen August 19th, 2020
Posted August 12th, 2017
2,535 posts
13.9 Years
How do you hack Super Mario Brothers 1? I want to make something harder than Super Mario Brothers 2 (JAP), or known here, SMB: Lost Levels (U). Just need some map editing and music editing. The rest, I'll try to figure out. Please no HEX.
I've been on this forum for about 10 years now. You guys wanna see a rare badge? I got some rare badges.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪

An igloo in Canada
Seen December 17th, 2014
Posted July 20th, 2011
1,770 posts
14.4 Years
How do you hack Super Mario Brothers 1? I want to make something harder than Super Mario Brothers 2 (JAP), or known here, SMB: Lost Levels (U). Just need some map editing and music editing. The rest, I'll try to figure out. Please no HEX.
Well then, it's too bad for you. You would need hex.
That's what everyone needs when it comes to a ROM. Pokémon hacking = HEX.
_█████████_
_█▄█████▄█_
_█▼▼▼▼▼▼▼█_
██_______██
_█▲▲▲▲▲▲▲█_
_█████████_
_██_____██_
Seen September 8th, 2013
Posted March 11th, 2013
402 posts
14 Years
Could somebody provide me with a diagram of the Bulbasaur line's evolution data in Crystal? This would help me get a better idea of how evolution editing in hex works, thanks.
Offset 0427A7: Bulbasaur
01 10 02 00
01 = by level
10 = level 16
02 = Ivysaur
00 = no more evolutions

Offset 0427C2: Ivysaur
01 20 03 00
01 = by level
20 = level 32
03 = Venusaur
00 = no more evolutions

Offset 0427E1: Venusaur
00 = no more evolutions

More examples below…

Offset 0432B8: Eevee
02 17 87 02 18 86 02 16 88 04 02 C4 04 03 C5 00
02 = by stone
17 = Thunderstone
87 = Jolteon
02 = by stone
18 = Water Stone
86 = Vaporeon
02 = by stone
16 = Fire Stone
02 = Flareon
04 = by happiness
02 = morn/day
C4 = Espeon
04 = by happiness
03 = night
C5 = Umbreon
00 = no more evolutions

Offset 043AFB: Tyrogue
05 14 02 6B 05 14 01 6A 05 14 03 ED 00
05 = by stats (unlike the others, stat evos use four bytes per evolution)
14 = level 20
02 = (Defense > Attack)
6B = Hitmonchan
05 = by stats
14 = level 20
01 = (Attack > Defense)
6A = Hitmonlee
05 = by stats
14 = level 20
03 = (Attack = Defense)
ED = Hitmontop
00 = no more evolutions
No hex? Then how about some assembly? ;)
iimarck.us / hax.iimarck.us

If you want me, please contact me by email. [email protected]

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Pokémon Red disassembly project

Rules that should be rethought: 25charlimit, bumping.
Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.
Seen December 27th, 2014
980 posts
13.5 Years
Well, HEX, and Assembly should be used to hack Mario. Although, I think I found some tools. Click here: Super Mario

Hope that helps.

Christos

Male
Seen April 16th, 2020
Posted December 16th, 2019
6,370 posts
15.6 Years
Okay, back to editing pokemon evolutions. Say I want to edit a pokemon that evolves by trading, like Haunter. Is it possible to change it so it evolves by level, instead? If not, do I have any alternatives?
You can use any Pokémon Editor, such as Pokémon Amplifier or YAPE. Just search in the Toolbox and you'll find one, it's easy to use, too.

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
Seen September 8th, 2013
Posted March 11th, 2013
402 posts
14 Years
Okay, back to editing pokemon evolutions. Say I want to edit a pokemon that evolves by trading, like Haunter. Is it possible to change it so it evolves by level, instead? If not, do I have any alternatives?
Sure, just replace the 03 with the type of evolution you want. 01 is level, 02 is stone, 03 is trade, 04 is happiness, and 05 is stat.

Cierra, he’s talking about GSC, so those tools aren’t applicable.

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.
Seen July 6th, 2012
Posted October 5th, 2010
26 posts
12.9 Years
You can use any Pokémon Editor, such as Pokémon Amplifier or YAPE. Just search in the Toolbox and you'll find one, it's easy to use, too.
Sorry, I should have specified in that post that I want to do it in Crystal. AFAIK, those editors only support 3rd gen or later games. I tried to do it manually, but it seems whenever I add a hex value such as one to indicate the level for evolution on a trade pokemon, the ROM won't load...

For example, when I tried to edit Haunter's evolution data, I changed the 03 to 01, and then added a value for 27 next to that, for level 39 (is that right?). Well, when I tried to load the ROM after doing this, it simply wouldn't run.
Seen September 8th, 2013
Posted March 11th, 2013
402 posts
14 Years
Sorry, I should have specified in that post that I want to do it in Crystal. AFAIK, those editors only support 3rd gen or later games. I tried to do it manually, but it seems whenever I add a hex value such as one to indicate the level for evolution on a trade pokemon, the ROM won't load...

For example, when I tried to edit Haunter's evolution data, I changed the 03 to 01, and then added a value for 27 next to that, for level 39 (is that right?). Well, when I tried to load the ROM after doing this, it simply wouldn't run.
That should have worked. Are you sure you overwrote the 03 00 with 01 27 (the right thing) instead of inserting a byte (the wrong thing)? What error does the emulator give, if any?

EDIT: The right thing to do is overwrite 03 FF with 01 27.

Seen July 6th, 2012
Posted October 5th, 2010
26 posts
12.9 Years
That should have worked. Are you sure you overwrote the 03 00 with 01 27 (the right thing) instead of inserting a byte (the wrong thing)? What error does the emulator give, if any?
The only thing I can assume is Haunter's evolution data based on what you gave me just now is:

03 00 5E C0 30 01 00

That doesn't seem to fit to what you gave me as an example earlier, but that might just be me being stupid. :P

In any case, I edited the above line to 01 27.. and so on, and the ROM loaded fine, but it didn't cause Haunter to evolve into Gengar by level 39.

The thing I was looking at and added a byte to (stupidly enough) was:

03 5E 00 (with another 00 after that)

Which I put between the 03 and 5E. I had a backup thankfully. As you can see, I'm pretty new to this whole hex editing thing, and while I get the general gist of it, I'm having a bit of trouble with editing trade evolutions to evolve by level in particular.
Seen September 8th, 2013
Posted March 11th, 2013
402 posts
14 Years
Oops, I should have checked first and not relied on my (very poor) memory. Trade evolutions without items use FF as the byte, not 00. Haunter’s evolution data is at 042F54.

Seen July 6th, 2012
Posted October 5th, 2010
26 posts
12.9 Years
Oops, I should have checked first and not relied on my (very poor) memory. Trade evolutions without items use FF as the byte, not 00. Haunter’s evolution data is at 042F54.
It works! Thanks for putting up with me for so long, haha. Just wondering though, do pokémon that are trade evolutions that also require held items (like Seadra-Kingdra) have any special bytes I should look out for? It would be great if you could provide one last example, let's say if I wanted to edit Seadra so it evolves at level 44 instead of a trade while holding a Dragon Scale. :)