• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too old for Pokémon?!

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    It's always seen as a little kids game which I hate, why does it have to be seen that way? Some friends of mine see it as a classic and don't play anymore, some like me still play.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    To BartCiao,

First and foremost, I would like to say, Welcome to Pokecommunity. You may not have noticed yet that there are many people older than you here. Pokemon is considered by many a fad of the 90's, because to most people it was just a Fad. But for some people, like yourself, Pokemon is not just a Fad, but a hobby, a lifestyle.

I have learned several real life things by playing the game. Alot of my vocabulary comes from Pokemon. I did not know what Ayers Rock was, before reading Rapidash's Pokedex entry. And Pokemon has played a big part on my moral guidance. Sometimes (I am being quite literal when I am saying this) I will ask myself if I am doing something the Antagonist would do.

Now I got into Pokemon at the age of 4, after seeing a Pokemon coloring book on the floor of a gymnasium. The first thing about Pokemon I ever saw was a picture of Viridian Forest with a Metapod. I instantaneosly fell in love. Some may say it is childish, dumb, silly, ridiculous, etc, but for me, it did something very important. When I felt like I didn't have any friends, I would pick up my game, and start playing with my Charmander. It was one of the few things that made me feel good about myself. So, some may say it is childish, but it made my lonely life happy, even for a moment.

I hope this helps you.

With all regards,

-ChrisTom

P.S. 100TH POST!! YAY! WHOOHOO!! WHOOPEE!!!

MadaraUchiha.

Typhlosion Master
    Years
    Like everyone else I will start off with saying this: There is no age limit to pretty much anything! Sure people think its just a plain old game where once you beat it your done but NO! Those people are WRONG if they say that then they dont know about IVs,EVs, Collecting and EVERYTHING that you can do after. Im only 12 but I have liked pokemon ever since my brother got blue. I LOVED pokemon ever since I got crystal (Whoever created Cyndaquil and evolution deserves a country XD) And I keep continuing. Sure there was a time where once I beat the game I thought it was done but take a look at this forum and a whole new world opens up. You may not be socially excepted (As my friends whenever I tell them about a new game they say its dumb but sometimes a few hints drop out proving they still like pokemon) but do what you want to do. You wanna do drugs DONT DO IT! You wanna play Pokemon DO IT! :D Also as for Anime I watched it everyday as a kid and hated when I missed it. But now I am re-watching it from season 1 (Im almost done it :D) to the current episodes as I have missed a ton of those. The new ones are cool just sometimes its a little to emotional.

Last edited:

SiReNzZ

I ♥ Misty.
    Years
    My friends always say that Pokémon is too childish , im 17 and I really enjoy it :D . I guess I cant just not love it ^^

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2010
    Im 16 and i play pokemon all the time. What you do is when some one says pokemon is for babies just tell the to GTFO. Works every time ;).

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Toddlers and babies would have a hard time reading all the text in Pokemon. XD

But the reason Pokemon isn't well received by a lot of people is because a) the younger folk want to seem 'older' and think that means games which really shouldn't be played by kids, rather than be played by anyone. The people that say this most likely will say it about things like Mario and Zelda too. This is why, as mentioned by other people, you will be better excepted at age 20 than 15. b) Adults that aren't to receptive to video games. This is the more trouble you will get when you're older, like 20+. But they will usually say it about any games, not just Pokemon.

Years
    Too old? NEVER

I'm sixteen and know the entire 490 Pokemon from the Pokedex like the back of my hand. Seriously, you ask me anything, I'll know the answer right there and then.

Years
    • OZ
    • Seen Sep 17, 2022
    I'm 19 and still enjoy playing Pokémon. I grew out of it for a while during high school, I think it was because I knew it was 'unacceptable' to play Pokémon when you're 15 or so. But when i was about 17 I started playing it again and I still enjoy it just as much now as I did all those years ago.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2010
    never to old imo

im also 15 (16 in August), i used to love pokemon when i was a kid, after silver and ruby i took a long break (5 years i think?) in those 5 years i had nothing to do with pokemon, never watched the anime, nor did i have any games as i sold them due to thinking i was getting to old, even though i havent played pokemon for so many years i still knew the first 376 (i think?) pokemon in the thirst 3 generations of by heart.

i dont know what happened, but two months ago i decided to get myself a ds and start all over again. then i learned about hg/ss..now im hooked. I know what you mean by people laughing at you, ive told only about 2 people that i started playing pokemon again, they thought i was joking so i just left it at that, just act normal and pretend you dont play it lol.

Yukima

Mad Scientist
    Years
    I'm 22, finished with college, and working full-time... and I still play Pokemon.

I'm pretty sure there's no age limit for liking this stuff. ^_^

LegendaryPokeBreeder

Did you get the pecan sandies?
    Years
    Im 20, looking for work and got a beard I can actually brush! xD Your never too old. Games you love you will always love.
    I've played pokemon since I was like 9/10 and I've continually played it throughout my teens and there's no way thats gonna change! :D

La Foudre

<3 Sneasel.
    Years
    As far as I can tell, the only people that have ever told me I'm too old for Pokemon{I'm flippin' 13! How is that too old?} are people who judge Pokemon solely by the anime and have never played the game.

Then again I myself have only been told once, and it was from this kid who thinks he's cool/tough{no one likes him. seriously.}

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    I'm 16 and 1/2, and I love pokemon. Haven't touched a non MD game in a while, but then again, it always happens every few years. I'll probably start playing when I have time. So let me tell you something.

No matter what, Pokemon isn't restricted by age, despite what all of the wannabe gangsters in my area say, despite the threats they originally delivered to me, only to cower when I look at them. (I am a big guy, and people down here only 'talk the talk, but never walk the walk'.) Really, they don't come up to me anymore, but they harassed one of my friends about it.

Bolanboy

ǝpısdn uʍop
    Years
    There's no such thing as too old for Pokemon. There is such a thing as too childish to see that Pokemon is not childish, however.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    Too old for Pokémon?!

But anywho, hi, and 15 isn't too old for pokemon. as long as you dont take it too far (dressing up like pikachu for a costume party would be an example).

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    I am 15. First off, I'm just gonna say I LOVE fps games like Modern Warfare 2 and Metroid Prime. I also like sidescrollers and adventure games like Mario and Zelda. But Pokemon's been with me since I was 4 or 5, and even though I've only ever seen one guy in my school with a GBA and Pokemon Red, that's fine. I get my Pokemon gaming in at home or with a few friends who also still play.
    Not socially acceptable? It is here!

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    Age has nothing to do with liking Pokemon or not... If you like Pokemon, what is it to others anyway? The fact you like it doesn't mean others should. I have plenty of friends that like stuff I despise, and I don't care... It doesn't matter...

Everyone has their different likes and dislikes, so it's only natural for them to be different. Besides, what will people say if they know you like Pokemon? "LOLZ HE LIEKS POKEMON!"? Big deal.

Jaamies

Sharingan User
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2011
    i'm 18 an RPG fan and Pokemon was awesome RPG Game,don't listen to what other people say as long as you enjoying it

RedBaron474

I don't even know
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Nov 26, 2016
    There's no such thing as too old for Pokemon. There is such a thing as too childish to see that Pokemon is not childish, however.

Hey guys, I'm 13 and I still love pokemon. The reason I quoted this is because he's absolutely right. There is no age limit on pokemon. Do what you love, not what other people tell you to do.

Inpu

Rocket Lieutenant
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2010
    I'm 24 and I just got back into it after a 10-year hiatus. My older brother never stopped playing it, and got me back into it last month so that he could fight someone challenging again :D

Back