• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too old for Pokémon?!

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2023
    I'm 14, I've been playing it since, probably 1999, maybe earlier. My brothers played it then, and I started playing it (before I could read :P )

Occasionally I take breaks from it, but I always come back.

Everyone in 5-6th grade played it (I'm in 8th now), but not many people play it now. Probably me, my friend (I let him borrow my GBA SP, so he could do a solo run, and I got my new DS :D ), and possibly a few others that I don't know about.

I'm excited for HG/SS, and I'm prepared to pay $80 to get both of them, just need to pre-order. I'm friends with someone that's, I think, 19-20, and he is also getting HG/SS.

My mom thinks it's a kid game, but I really don't care, especially with all the mechanics that most "kids" don't care about/understand.

EDIT:

I also play Call of Duty, Left 4 Dead 2, and some other mature titles. But, they'll never match the love I have for pokemon.

I also know a few little kids (6-8 year old brothers) who think pokemon is the stupidest thing ever, and they think Modern Warfare two is the best game ever (Though, the younger does kinda like pokemon, and doesn't play MW2 all the time, like the older.)

It's an RPG, I play other RPG's, also, but Pokemon is my favorite.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2014
    hey, the games are cool. let's face it, the anime and manga are for kids. the card game is for kids. all the merchandise is for kids. but the games are a must have for any rpg fan! i'm 22 and i still love 'em.

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    hey, the games are cool. let's face it, the anime and manga are for kids. the card game is for kids. all the merchandise is for kids. but the games are a must have for any rpg fan! i'm 22 and i still love 'em.

The manga is for kids? You mean like Pokemon Adventures? I don't think those are necessarily for the little people. Some scenes are kind of violent compared to the anime, anyway. Oh well. It doesn't matter.

I don't think that there is ever a age where you are too old to play Pokemon. Forget about all those people that say it's childish and all that. It's a reasonable RPG experience. It's packed with nostalgia for the majority of us. It's just plain awesome. The anime and such are sort of marketed towards the small people at least in the United States, but who cares?

Besides, if high school students can watch Hannah Montana and wear little kids backpacks to school (I swear some girls at my school do that. No joke. It's a fashion statement, apparently.) I think we should be allowed to play a fun game.

And besides, everyone has an inner child. We just choose to keep our inner child happy with video games.

Years
    No way are you to old to play Pokemon!! Don't care what other people tell you about it being for toddlers or babies. I'd like to see a toddler get far in a competitive tournament for Pokemon.
    I just turned 17 and I'm still a big fan of Pokemon, have been since the release of the Blue and Red games.
    My older brother is 24 and he also still plays Pokemon, even more than I do, as a matter of fact he just got every Pokemon into his Pokedex recently. His girlfriend is just a few years younger than him and she really loves Pokemon, too.

If they think it's for toddlers and babies then just tell them to take their shot at a competitive tournament. Then ask them if that's something that a little kid could get far in.

On the issue about the manga, Pokemon Adventures REALLY is not for kids XD I've read really far into it and that manga can get pretty violent. I'll use the example of one of the parts I remember when a Arbok got cut in half and it actually showed the blood of it.

Last edited:

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    I grew up on Pokemon I've been playing the games since I could read and probably won't stop playing them there is no age limit for pokemon
    People who say you are to old to play pokemon games are just mad because they lost theirs or just suck at them :)
    I am 17 by the way

Colette

I'm dying Gyarados.
    Years
    Well I'll be 21 in April and I still love the games/anime (well, a little less since the voice actors changed haha). It's not strange to me, Pokemon has been a part of my life since Red/Blue came out (12 years omg). Also, everyone I hang out with still plays as well so I've never been chided for it. :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2010
    It's peer pressure. You shouldn't be ashamed of liking pokemon, after all, I'm 24.

If you ever get teased about them you should figure out what you like about it and why. Having a good reason for liking something usually helps.

I usually say that While it's directed at a younger demographics I find the games endearing, the character designs playful and fun and the game engine well designed after the years of development. Then I ask, How do you explain it's enduring popularity if only toddlers like it?

I just use the excuse that I'm a cartoonist, and I get to watch cartoons as a requirement for my "trade." =D

Years
    im 14 and me nd my friends Rob and David r the only ones n my school who are actually like crazy about pokemon.I dont think anyone should stop playing becuz of age but the only thing i hate is i can no longer play on the bus or during lunch

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2014
    I'm 16 and I took a long break from Pokemon as well. Just recently started playing the games again actually. I was 12 or 13 the last time I played a Pokemon game before now. In all honesty, the TV show is for the kids. But Pokemon games are for everyone and with the hacking and stuff now, people make it more suitable to older players. The TCG is lame in my opinion and I never even got into it as a kid. I collected like 3 or 4 cards and said that it was boring.

PKMN Games = For Everyone
    PKMN TCG = For 'tards. Jk, just don't like the TCG.
    PKMN Shows & Movies = For 5-10 year olds.

Now if there was ever a pokemon book series that took you into the life of a trainer through one of the regions in 5 to 6 book series.... you better bet that'd be the top of my list.

LittleShinyDrifloon

Shiny Hunter
    Years
    I'm twenty, married and have a child of my own and I still love Pokemon.
    I just taught my son how to run around and act like Pikachu!
    XD
    Epic. I know.

You can never be too old for the games.
    The movies have gotten too weird for me, so I just stick to the games and role plays.
    Of course, I'm thinking of being a shiny Drifloon Gijinka for Halloween this year.
    : D

Anyway....
    You can never be too old.
    :3

Years
    Too old for pokemon??? Whaaaaaat? Believe me man, there is no such thing. I am 27 years old and I still love pokemon. Lol, when i was in college i was playing it on an emulator and some of my friends were like "no way, are you actually playing pokemon"? Before long i had every one on my floor playing pokemon emerald and they loved it. Pokemon is or was part of everyone's young life, it brings back good memories of a simpler time. Better yet, they are still making good games in the series. I can't wait for heartgold to come out, i'm even gonna take a day off work on release day so i can sit around and geek out on it. Never let anyone tell you what is, or what isn't cool. There is no one who can live your life except for you, so you should concentrate on the things that make you happy. Like pokemon. Good luck!

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2016
    I'm 15 but I don't really care, my friends are fine with me even though I still love pokemon. Even some of them are playing too.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
    Well, since i was a little kid, videogames where you can't kill anything always would be seen as "childish games" =)
    Personally i really love videogames, i've the opportunity of play since the Atari to the Nintendo Wii/PS3/Xbox360 (i'm 24 years old) so i'd played a lot of games and always enjoy it, well except superman for the N64 XD, anyway, is only matter of what you like and what not, myself, i really hate FPS, go, shot, kill, go, shot, kill this is not my style, but i have played some really good games (personally no one FPS has give me so much fun that Perfect Dark 64) and still not liking but i, at least, try it.
    Pokemon isn't a kid's franchise, only look at others countrys, do you has seen a anime convention in japan??? Sure, a lot of naruto's/sasuke's and others anime characters but, what about the people that are dressed like a pokemon or like trainers???
    Not so childish =), and yes always gonna be people that tell you that you're this or that for playing pokemon (or other game), don't listen to they, or all of these people are really mature only for playing GTA 4, COD6.
    Put you two examples: i've a few friends who, telling by they, are really "videogamers"; anyway they play COD4 like no tomorrow and when i buy Rainbow Six Las Vegas 2 they went to my home to play and when i beat all of they (and i tell you, i never had played Las Vegas 2) they say: ah, i don't like the button configuration of RSLV, is way too different for COD4; ok let's play Call of Duty, i beat them all again and then they left my house, so always will be people that tell you that this game stinks, this other is very slow, whatever excuse they can invent to make you play only the games that they play and that way they can always be the "winner".
    Example 2: All the soccer, basquetball, baseball (and others sports) players are too childish, they're making their lifeplaying a childish game, WTF =)
    Lastly, i'm 24 years old, i've a girlfriend, i'm studying in University, i need to work to pay my studies, pay rent, services and everything and still i play videogames and still playing Pokemon because if we leave behind what you're, you'll become a souless man, and if anyone tell you again that you're a child, throw a Flamethrower to they, JK =)

Scialen

My Goodness, I'm DELICIOUS!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    let's be honest here, there are always going to be people who don't like a game.

It doesn't matter what it is; some people think Dungeons and Dragons is satanic, despite the fact that it is an awesome educational tool, not just for arithmetic and strategy, but also social skills (even if it is only in-game), improvisation and imagination. I bought the source books because I wanted to be a good writer.

People think Magic: The Gathering is childish because it's a trading card game and it's got bright colors. Never mind the fact that there are professional tournaments, and if you play the type of deck that relies on controlling the game, you can spend years perfecting that art... and then the new cards come out.

The same is true for anything, really. Think about TV shows, movies, computer games, music... because of the diversity of people's interests, some are going to be for and some are going to be against it.

Now, here is the important thing: what do you like?

I'm 21 and doing an undergraduate Masters degree. I'm currently at the lab and playing on SoulSilver. Screw the populace, I'm the one who's doing what he likes. I'd rather be playing a game that promotes friendships and overcoming challenge and adversity, than a game that potentially promotes mindless violence and trauma. Besides, your friends are the ones who accept you, even if they don't like Pokemon.

Too old for Pokemon? Never. Too young for violence? Always. Too immature for friendships? Only if you stop going outside yourself and accepting others.

Tree_x

Breeder
    Years
    You are never to old for pokemon it just keeps expanding :O like it is just impossible cuse even at 18 i have found things to do the battling over wfi Gts and Ev Breeding will keep anyone entertained ;D!

Back