• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too old for Pokémon?!

Years
    There's no such thing as "too old" for Pokémon. Been a fan since my parents bought me a copy from an import game store in 1998 (shortly after Red and Blue's US release), and since then, I've became a fan of the anime (I don't watch it as often these days, but I have all of the Kanto and Orange Islands episodes downloaded to my hard drive), the music (I own a few of the Japanese soundtracks, the first 4Kids soundtrack CD and recently ordered the HG/SS Soundtrack), and I even own a few plushies (Pikachu is too adorable for its own good, seriously!).

Pokémon may be a franchise marketed towards Children, but Nintendo makes their games with no genuine "target audience", so to speak. They make games that any age group can enjoy. You never get "too old" for their games, just too boring.

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    You aren't never too old for Pokemon. There is a guide for adults and, if you like playing Pokemon, continue playing it ;)

Bye ^^

LordDarkrai

Gamer
    Years
    I never too old to play, I'm 16 and I play at home only and only have a few friends that know I played Pokemon. People will think of the anime childish.

blueblur155

Proud American Citizen
    Years
    you're only too old for it when YOU think you're too old for it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm 15 and I'm still hooked, especially on the games. people have said the same to me. I don't care, I just play what I want.

xPsychosocial

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
    Years
    I'm going to be 19 in August and I'm still pretty much as obessesed with the game now as I was when I got Pokémon blue.

You're never too old, some people just don't see it that way. I make no secret of the fact I still play the games. And I won't stop until I'm bored of them.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
    I'm 14. I only tell my very close friends that i play pokemon. The people at my school a dicks. They'll take the mick out of you for anything. But sitll i love it very much ;)

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
    I don't think Pokemon is childish. If you play through the games, you will see that it is not very childish. It takes a lot of thought and strategy, just as any RPG would. I'm 19 now, and I've been playing since it first came out.

I don't see myself growing out of it either. At least, not right now. I see myself at the operating table trading events with my patients. :)

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm 20, and I still enjoy Pokemon quite a bit.

Granted, I'm not exactly a social butterfly, but I have yet to be shunned by people simply for liking Pokemon.

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
    Never too old for Pokemon! I'm 18, played for 14 years, and still play the TCG, and yet I do it all while not living in my mom's basement. *Self High-Five*

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2010
    I'm 16 and i still play although i'm not very open about it ... after 6 months i decided to tell my girlfriend (cause i thought she would think i was a nerd) and i learned that she loves pokemon too! haha so some people you really never know what they'll think but do what you want and don't worry about others from the great Dr. Seuss "Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Newbie 2.0

The New Type of Noob
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2011
    ^ I like that Dr. Seuss quote. We should all live like that.

I'm 18 and I love Pokemon! I don't tell much people cuz they don't understand, but you're not too old at all. You're too old when you're 115. XD

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
    Years
    I'm 18 and I play pokemon. I'll say it loud and proud across my highschool courtyard. I dont give a Hoothoot! Any one gotta problem with it, they better come say it to my face! Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Who gives a darn if you're "too old" for pokemon. It sure beats committing crimes and doin drugs.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    I'm the same age as you and alot of people [esecially girls] make fun of me. They're more interested in fashion and celebrities and all that stuff. I'm not ousting it. But if I respect that they basically live on that [IMO] trash, they should respect me too. But even if they don't i just ignore them cause they never played the games. they associate itwith the Anime which is, admittedly, very childish. But the game is actually quite challenging and requires strategy and I highly doubt someone's "three year old cousin"could actually even get past the first gym leader [Questionable with how easy the later games are but thats Off topic.]

Anyway, no, I don't think you can be too old. Who cares what's socially acceptable? Would you really want people like that as friends anyway?My eighteen year old brother stillplays Pokémon [Secretly, on his mobile phone] but he says it's good to while away a boring Biology class [a very lax attitude to study but there ya go XD]

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
    I'm 15, as my age suggests, and I play Pokémon.

I think the way Pokémon is portrayed with the anime, cards, and things like that makes people think it's childish. I would think so too if I hadn't played the games. But I do play the games. And I love them.

You should definetly not judge something you haven't played, that is true, but in a way we are made that way, atleast I think so.
    I can even go as far as saying it's partly the official's fault, as they clearly make Pokémon with smaller children as the main group, and an anime that works best for children (at least I think so. Anime-fans may be dissapointed), and so on. And I think that's pretty sad. Because they could really make the games more attractive to the older crowd.

Atleast that's how I see it.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    People who loved or even liked Pokemon in the past still have a thing for it, believe me.

Your never to old to like Pokemon. I'm 14, not much younger then you. But I love it. I do play Call of Duty and them, too, though. xD

There's nothing wrong with loving Pokemon. And those people who say that its babyish don't know what there missing out on. Plain and simple.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    Reading Pokesticks post, I agree.

I mean they call Anime and Mangas "cartoons" [Those norrower minded people] but have they ever watched Bleach? That is certainly not for the little kids Pokémon seems to be stereotyped too.
    They need to find a mid point of maturity and kidiness. But I guess it's a bit too late now.
    We just have to live with it. Imean if seventeen year olds can watch Hannah Montanna why can't we play Pokémon? I'm pretty sure ITS aimed at little kids.

Back