• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too old for Pokémon?!

BartCiao

It has always been Pokemon :)
Years
  • 15 is an awkward time. It's probably more acceptable (at least socially acceptable) to like it when you're 20 than 15.

Totally agree with that one!

OK ok! I got it! You're never too old for Pokémon! It's just your taste of games... But it's really not socially acceptated, to refer to one of the first replies. That's sad, but I'll just tell nobody:P

Last edited:
    Years
  • Totally agree with that one!

OK ok! I got it! You're never too old for Pokémon! It's just your taste of games... But it's really not socially acceptated, to refer to one of the first replies. That's sad, but I'll just tell nobody:P
    But if you do tell people, you'll make friends with other people your age who like Pokemon! ^_^

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    Im 17 I know a few who still like pokemon, the fact of the matter is the games are fun so what else matters?

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • EDIT: Ok, now I know that you're never too old for Pokémon! But still it's really not socially acceptated, at least: not at my age! How could that be?

First off, even though others have said it before me, welcome to PC! ^^

Secondly, I'm nearly 21, and I still love Pokémon. I don't think an age limit can be applied to anything; there are people I know at university who still watch Bananas in Pyjamas when they're off sick (they only admit to it after a certain level of alcohol is injected into them, though ;)).

As for not being socially accepted...hmm. Nothing I used to like at school was really socially accepted, if by 'socially' you mean 'idiot classmates'. I tended to just ignore them and roll on with what I was doing; you can't sacrifice what you love just because others don't approve of it. (Unless it's like, illegal or something, obviously 9:). So, if it's what you like to do, keep on playing and collecting
    ! There's no harm in it. :>

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'm 15 as well, and even though everyone at school associates me with computers (Macs, to be specific, but who's counting? :p ) I'm a true Pokémon fan. I'm one of four people in my sophmore class who: a) play the games on a regular basis, b) understand the more advanced jargon like IVs and EVs, c) talk about some of the less obvious game mechanics to further my own understanding (and confuse everyone else :D ), d) produce Pokémon that might actually stand a chance in competitive battling, and e) beat all of them if they say they can beat me :D. Not only that, I'm working on my own hack, so I'm becoming involved in the fandom in ways I couldn't imagine.

So yeah. There's no such thing as "too old for Pokémon."

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • 1998 - present and 17 years old. Ah, I think this is the universal question of some sort! I don't think it's too childish. It's merely up to preference in games, or to be specific, preference in a good game. They're not bad games. The only thing about Pokemon that could be considered "childish" in my opinion is the anime since most people watched it when they were kids. So, looking back on it, most people think "oh, I watched that as a kid, it's too young for me blah blah blah" and ba-bam, there you have it. But most of the people that make fun of it end up druggies and bums anyway, so it's okay. (:

Have no shame, my friend.

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • Nu-uh.
    You can't be too old for pokemon end of.

It's just a RPG, like any other game out there, just with cuter monsters.

But I'll admit, the show is childish.

XCHAMPX

Nazi 4 life!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2010
    Hell no never to old. You should do what you feel and feel what you do.

akamichi

Back......For Now [Active]
    Years
  • im 19 and i still love all pkm games right now im playin platnium can't wait 4 HG/SS to air on march but anyway yep im still playin.

Years
  • OK I'm 20 going on 21 in a few weeks I think I may be able to help here, I grew up playing pokemon for over ten years for the original RBY up to DPPt and looking forward to the SSHG remakes out soon. But I do get where your coming from, especially being a high school student a place where saying you still play Pokemon games wasn't the coolest thing you could bust out at lunch time. So I didn't really make it of huge knowledge to everyone that I still played. During high school I took a few years off Pokemon for 2 reasons A) I was burnt out by them I had simply played them for too long and then moved on to games like GTA III & Vice City, B) I thought I had outgrown Pokemon and thought I had done all the challenges (Pokedex completion & just general battling in Silver). I suppose with it being socially awkward at the time Eventually I did go back to it toward my final years of high school and played it for a while the GBA games didn't really hold my attention like it used to. It wasn't until I picked up Pearl that I found that same level of enjoyment that I did ten years prior.

But getting back to your point it probably depends on your mind set because if you go out and proud about playing Pokemon you'll get a few jokes thrown your way but if you stand tough they'll soon stop. If you want to save yourself the trouble then it might be wiser to keep it on the down low.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • I'm sixteen and I still love Pokemon. I still watch the anime, collect the cards and buy the games. People who say Pokemon's for babies don't know what they're talking about.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    my friends insult my sexuality because i still play pokemon. I punch them in the face and scream, "WOBBUFFET SAYS NO U ************************************, **********, ********************"

they don't do it anymore lol

Teto

- - wobbuffan. ☆
    Years
  • You can never be too old for Pokemon! D8`
    But you already know that, so. xD
    I think that some people make fun of Pokemon fans for a few reasons .. because they're just typical bullies that pick on people to make themselves feel better, or they secretly like it and don't want to seem "uncool". D:<
    People know I love Pokemon, and they don't make fun of me about it, cause it's actually considered "cool" at my school. And I'm in high school, so .. ;u;

Karasuma

It's beemo time!
    Years
  • Oh come one now, thats like saying you're too old for mario as well. I'm 19 and even though I haven't seen the latest new episodes of pokemon due to time, I still enjoy playing my Special Pikachu Edition on my gameboy color. I like the latest ones that came out for the DS as well and I can't wait for the remakes or Gold and Silver. I'm in college and I see fellow classmates playing pokemon so who cares what people think.

btw, I also play CoD4 but I'm not that good at it. XD

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2010
    Um, really, it's because pokemon is so well received and adopted by children, and that is the targeted audience of the pokemon franchise. Adults get into usually for the games or the TCG, because of the gameplay.

You can't try to force pokemon to be accepted by general clicks because it is a niche, like anything else.

Trust me though, your friends who tease you about pokemon just havent revealed their own embarassing hobbies or interests, but everyone has them, just not everyone is willing to admit them.

And call of duty could be considered just as geeky as pokemon, if so many people of varying backgrounds didnt play it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2012
    15, some people in their middle ages still play Pokemon, so why can't I?
    So yeah, I don't think you can be too old for Pokemon.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    The day I become too old for Pokemon is the day when my body in the ground. Enough said. :/ People who think they're 'too old' for Pokemon need to go and get a life. That, or they need to understand the fact that people can like anything and pretty much any age.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • im 18 (almost 19) and i still love the games. i still watch the anime occasionally and i am planning on reading the manga.but i really think i will still be playing for a lot more years. it is just that it is no longer popular like it was a couple years ago, and if people laugh at you so what, you like what you like.
    also i think people are basing that on the show because its on cartoon network so they automatically think its for younger children
    pokemon can be a very challenging game if you put alot of time and effort into it.

Last edited:

ReiXMinako

緑な美奈子
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2016
    If you're too old for pokemon, then you're too old for any video game, which makes your friends hypocrites :) Don't conform to what society wants, just be yourself.

Back