• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

US Elections 2008: Debate the Issues

Which party are you voting for? (If you could vote...) Foreigners are welcomed.

• Democratic Party (Obama/Biden...Your Democratic Congressman/Senator)

Votes: 98 63.2%
  • Republican Party (McCain/Palin...Your Republican Congressman/Senator)

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Third Party (Green, Liberatarian...etc.)

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • I'm disillusioned. It's all campaign rhetoric I won't even bother to vote...

Votes: 19 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
Years
  • They didn't.

Anyway, about the debate, was it me, or did Gov. Palin wink a couple times?

Hahaha, she totally did, I think on some occasions to members of the audience like her family, but some were obviously addressed to the camera. And why not? She's a woman and she's close to the White House, I think that's something to be proud of. That may or may not be related at all to winking but...lol

Lusankya

The cake is a pie!
    Years
  • The debate was a good show, I only watched part of it, but both candidates did fairly well, no major blunders or anything. While I don't think it'll convince many swing voters for one side or another, it probably helps cement the faith of the already faithful.

Years
  • Um...

The debate was a good show, I only watched part of it, but both candidates did fairly well, no major blunders or anything. While I don't think it'll convince many swing voters for one side or another, it probably helps cement the faith of the already faithful.

That is true... I'm cemented to Obama now... But those just tuning in will be swayed either way...

Lusankya

The cake is a pie!
    Years
  • I don't know, I'm still undecided either way, but neither canditate seemed better than the other to me. Maybe experience really doesn't mean all that much.

Anyways, I think it's interesting how so many more people who voted in this thread are pro-Obama.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • I don't know, I'm still undecided either way, but neither canditate seemed better than the other to me. Maybe experience really doesn't mean all that much.

Anyways, I think it's interesting how so many more people who voted in this thread are pro-Obama.

I think that kind of reflects the personalities you get in people that actually go on forums related to things they like to do. I don't really understand the direct correlation between them, but maybe I just can't explain it all that well. =/

I could go either way right now (despite the fact I can't vote). I have both extremist democrats, and republicans within my family. It really gets to me sometimes :<

I still can't get over the fact Governor Palin winked at the camera during the debate though xD

Not trying to persuade you at all, but I've also been around extremists of both sides (not in my family, but friends/teachers, etc.). Don't be persuaded by the extremists. Take the issues one at a time and scroll through reports on them (preferably unbiased) to decide where you definitely stand on the political spectrum. Go with your beliefs, and if your family has something to say about them, you can take their thoughts into consideration. It can be alright to swing one way, but still have family values.

Last edited:

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
  • Maybe it's just me, but doesn't this make McCain a bit of a hypocrite (maybe not the right word) for choosing someone who is a newcomer in politics? Granted as Palin said last night, she has some experience, but a VP is president of the senate. Though all they do is cast a tie breaking vote, she never served on the senate. I mean it isn't really a simple job. Honestly a pre-requisite should be that the VP you choose should have served on the senate. I mean McCain has been going on an on about expreince but he is choosing someone who could potentially be president (in the extreme case of his death) who doesn't really know the workings of the senate.

Rant Aside...

As for last night, Palin seemed like she was just dancing aroudn the questions. I mean yeah she answered, but unlike Bidden, she didn't really give a straightforward answer. I guess it's clear I'm a democrat XD

Lusankya

The cake is a pie!
    Years
  • Don't think so, Palin did fairly well answering the questions, especially for someone as inexperienced as she is. Sure, she did a little bit of dodging, but it's not really more than what one expects in politics.

Oh, also, VPs don't do anything that's really that important, anyways. The main thing about selecting VPs is in case if the President dies. Which, considering McCain's age, is quite high. If McCain weren't as old as he was, I think people would be a lot less touchy about Palin.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
  • I can agree with that. It's just she seemed (at least to me) to dodge the questions and went just talked about the energy plan.

Well that makes sense though, someone that inexperienced (meaning again never even served on the senate) shouldn't really have that high of a chance.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • I can agree with that. It's just she seemed (at least to me) to dodge the questions and went just talked about the energy plan.

Well that makes sense though, someone that inexperienced (meaning again never even served on the senate) shouldn't really have that high of a chance.

I can respect your opinion on that, but how can you turn that around and say that Obama is more qualified than Palin? In some respects, being a governor is just as much work as being in the Senate. And everyone seems to forget that it's McCain, not Palin, who's running for president. This is why I don't argue the experience factor between Palin and Obama, becaise no one can win. But McCain and Obama is a whole other story...I happen to think that the experience argument has cancelled itself out, and we should just focus on the issues.

Lusankya

The cake is a pie!
    Years
  • Obama's actually been a politician much longer than Palin, especially if you don't count her time as the mayor of a town with 5,000 people. Actually, I think Governors are more suited to being Presidents/Vice Presidents, because Governors actually do governing, while Senators just sit around reading and voting on bills.

Years
  • FEESA of 2008 Passes....

"The American People fought the lobbyists and the Lobbyists won..."

As I said on Monday I was surprised that the bill didn't pass...But eh...as it turns out we were just prolonging the inevitable...The Lobbyists called in everyone and with the bussiness community was able to threatened Congress into passing the $700 Billion Bail-out (Now $850 Billion 'cuz of all the "Sweeteners" added in to entice the Republicans and Democrats into passing it....)

The biggest heist of Wall.St towards the American People....

So Me, Aura, Red and every single American taxpayer are now the "Proud" owners of $700 Billion worth of crap... Yeah you heard me the "Proud" owners of $700 Billion worth of BS...

What the bail-out boils down to:
    US Elections 2008: Debate the Issues

With a gun pointed at it's head by Wall St. and Lobbyists, Congress was forced to pass a Bill as a $700 Billion "Band-aid" to the Stinking corpse of the financial markets.

I understand that if Congress didn't do anything it would be a "catastrophy/apocalypse now" But Congress could have done way better than giving Sec. of Tresury Henry Paulson $700 Billion to throw around.

But hey that subtle language giving Paulson authority to use the money to get "stocks" from the Banks (Sombody was smart for doing this) instead of giving them $700 Billion and taking the "Toxic Assets" makes me think we could work with this act...

Last edited:

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
  • I can respect your opinion on that, but how can you turn that around and say that Obama is more qualified than Palin? In some respects, being a governor is just as much work as being in the Senate. And everyone seems to forget that it's McCain, not Palin, who's running for president. This is why I don't argue the experience factor between Palin and Obama, becaise no one can win. But McCain and Obama is a whole other story...I happen to think that the experience argument has cancelled itself out, and we should just focus on the issues.

Oh I understand I completely agree with you in that respect that Obama is THAT much more quailified. As for McCain people forget because it seemed like his campaign became a bigger thing when she was on the ticket as VP. And it's the fact that McCain went on an on about expereince and then chose someone at the experience level, if not less, then that of Obama. Considering also that again she isn't my favorite person...yeah.

To be honest I just want a president that will do something about the bailout. I mean I am happy about it succeeding in the end (or did it officially fail). With us about to hit a recession, I just want to know what's going to happen with the economy.

pong08

Black & White... don't fail me
    Years
  • I just love how at the debate how Sarah Palin was using the words such as "Doggone" and "Straight Up" in the debate. I got the feeling that she was trying to appeal to young voters. Also, I just love how what she said in the Katie Couric interview that she was for Women's rights, but doesn't support abortion? LMAO

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
  • I could make a joke about her not supporting abortion, not only is it fairly obvious, I may get banned. XD

And yeah she is trying to appeal to younger voters, I don't think many American Youth really could relate to McCain. Granted there are the informed voters, but there are many people who judge candidates solely on appearance. I mean the man doesn't even really know how to use a computer apparently.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
  • Exactly, that's I think another reason that he picked Palin. Rather than use his daughter, I guess he wants a parents who can relate to the kids.
    Edit: He's 72 XD.

Back