• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When do you become an adult?

Ayutac

Developer who wants your help
Years
  • Good day, everyone!
    In most states you get the status of being an adult by reaching the age of 18. You don't actually do anything for it. But like anybody can guess, it's not like you transform overnight. In fact, you don't really change from one day to the other. The state just had to set its now-you-are-considered-to-be-an-adult-line somewhere and it happens to be the age of 18. So, what does it really mean to be an adult? A philosophical question and not part of this discussion. (Would actually be worth a thread I guess.)
    And here is it! As written, the question is what actually qualifys you as an adult in general. I've just read about some people over 18 I don't consider as adults.

As for a start, I think you have to differ between sexual, social and so on adulthood. Discuss, I'll be monitoring this thread for now.

Also yay for my first discussion thread!

EDIT: If "mature" is part of your answer, please explain that as well :)

Last edited:

Ghost

[b][color=orange]ツ[/color][color=teal][i]In the Ma
    Years
  • If your responsible, mature and can carry yourself well then you are capable of being an adult and standing alone. Of course making the right decisions and having the correct motives helps you drive towards success. You have to have wits and good character, not be just irresponsible. This is just how I see it. Once again, this does not apply to anyone or everyone. I'm simply stating my opinion.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Honestly, I believe when you become an adult is all up to you. You'll reach a certain point of maturity and be able to deal with all your responsibilities. When you reach that point, you'll just know. At least that's how it was for me. I can't tell you what the moment was like, but I remember thinking, "Well, this is it. I'm my own man now."

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • I'd say that the law is right in saying that 18 / 21 (depending on country) is when you become an adult, as it's assumed you've developed enough to be mature and make proper and informed choices for yourself.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • Here, you become "officially" an adult when you reach the age of eighteen. But, I knew seceral people who have become adult at the gae of sixteen. You could be considered as an adult once you are responsible enough to make your own decisions and be responsible for it.

Ayutac

Developer who wants your help
    Years
  • So a lot of people wrote you become an adult when you matured. I think you just transferred the point :D
    What means maturing then? (And don't write it's becoming an adult ;) )

Ghost

[b][color=orange]ツ[/color][color=teal][i]In the Ma
    Years
  • My view.

Being mature is when you have good character, responsibility, motives and well informed choices.

Castgurl

The Cuban Artist ~
    Years
  • Honestly, as one poster has stated, it really depends on the person. When they are ready to be responsible for their actions, conditions, making their own choices that revolve around their life and more, I think that is the moment when the person is mature. Well, depending on what they decide to do, or how they portray themselves to others, one might say that they are immature or unable to really make any choices that may benefit them in the long run. Sometimes (taking from someone I know) in order for one to mature, they may have to go through a brief period of time where they have to carry their own weight around, and worry about more then just themselves. With others, it takes one mistake that they have made perhaps during their younger years or right before they are considered an adult in the eyes of the states. Maturing can occur from the above, if the person learns from what has gone on from it. If they repeat the mistake(s) (And this can be anything from maybe vandalizing a corner store to puffing out cracko stones from a pipe; your call.), then honestly, they are either a complete idiot for even repeating a habit that can either have a bad impact in their life, or they simply are not "mature" or level headed enough to see the true effects of it. When someone is truly aware of cause and effect at a greater level; then they have matured in my eyes.

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
    Years
  • I agree with almost every post that lies within this thread, however, I thought that I'd might as well contribute to this interesting topic.

Firstly, I'd like to state that everything I am about to rant on about is just my opinion. I don't think of it as fact and should in no way be treated as such by anyone. Second, there is no second, I just thought that it'd sound better if there was.

I know that there are many definitions of adult but in my eyes, an adult is someone who can nurture one of their own and do it exceptionally well. There are a few exceptions, of course, but not many. I'd say that if someone who is mature and responsible but can't nurture, then they aren't much of an adult. I may be looking at it the wrong way but from my perspective, life revolves around reproduction, am I right? So if a human cannot or does not successfully nurture a child then they either have forgotten their purpose in life or they have not matured enough to say the least. They need to have that nurturing aspect about them. If you mature enough to be called an adult, don't you think you should be able to fulfill your life purpose? I'm not trying to say that anyone without a child is not an adult, I'm just simply stating that if they are incapable of nurturing a child if they had one, then they aren't an adult in my eyes and never shall be unless they learn how to care for another being. Of course, if you see it with my eyes, you won't know if someone is an adult right off the bat. You must carefully observe the person if they do not have a child. This can be rather difficult to say the least, but most of the times you can tell if they have the characteristic that is vital to life. If they have children, then by observing the children, you can best tell if they have the certain qualities. The exceptions I was talking about is if the human physically cannot have a child. I have yet to determine what this means for them but I know that I should not overlook them as some human being without a life purpose. Perhaps their life purpose is to exist. I never shall know what life is all about and I don't think any of us can so it is what it is. We can only believe what we choose to and know that we may or may not be right. I guess that's what faith is all about. (Im in no way trying to define faith. It is what you want it to mean.)

Of course I know many people will not agree with me upon the matter, and that's fine. I'm not looking for an argument, I'm looking for a better understanding by observing the variety of opinions and perspectives that I hope will swarm this Thread.

Years
  • When you actually take on day to day responsibilities in which you are taking control of your life, whether it be fending for yourself by having a job and/or so on.

Just because facts and figures mean you are an adult, doesn't mean you are, that is how I look at it.​

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    That's very subjective. Most people 18-24 aren't truly adults maturity-wise.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • It varies. People mature, both mentally and physically, at different rates. I think tribal societies had the right idea with "rites of passage." If someone wants to prove that they're ready to be an adult, I think they should be allowed to do so.

Years
  • I feel like becoming an adult is something that happens gradually and isn't some milestone you reach. Like for me, one day I realized that I was paying rent to live somewhere and I thought: "I feel like an adult." It's not that it happened the first time I payed rent, but maybe more of how it had become a routine? I don't know really, just that it was a kind of feeling that what I'd been doing recently felt more mature and that I'd reached a point where my life felt like it was an "adult" life.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Adult is nothing more than a label. People are more complex than simply passing from a child to an adult; there different levels of progression, maturity, and responsibility, that cannot be measured.

There is also nothing wrong with not being considered an adult, personalities have more to them. Some can be incredibly immature, but still be valued for other traits they possess; whilst some people who are very mature and responsible can still manage to be nothing but an annoyance.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    I personally think that you grow your entire life, even after you are an adult, but I generally think anybody over the age of 45 is an adult.

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    Gonna be really corny now and say this...

When you actually fall in love.

Back