• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

World Cup South Africa 2010

Who will win?

• Total voters

Nudge

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    Anyone else watching on here Australia vs Serbia? Or is it just me? Haha

Years
  • And I was wrong. Good game for Australia, but unfortunate about the goal difference. Ghana hasn't scored a single goal in open play and it was purely luck that they went through (including not conceding more goals to Germany).

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    England against Germany... again. 1-1 and the Germans to win on penalties in my opinion.

Years
  • So Germany did actually make it out of the group, I was already highly doubting it after the Serbia game. That means England awaits in the next round, which is uncomfortable...
    But then again, whoever wins that will probably be up against Argentinia in the quarter finals, who's going to win that anyways.

Also, congrats to Ghana for making it through as well, they played a great game, if it weren't for Neuer being such a beast, everything might have looked different.

By the way, how was Australia - Serbia? I know the result, but I didn't see a single second of it, not even the goals.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • of course i'd love us to win by a decent margin but I really just can't see it happening. If we are going to win it'll be by a single goal imo.

What do I win?

In seriousness though, one of the more entertaining England matches i've watched recently (Not really saying much). Defoe took his goal well and could have had a couple more, and for once we actually looked like we wanted to win.

Can I also just say now how much I really didn't want to play Germany in the next round? If ever there'd been an incentive for us to perform well and finish top of our group it was purely to avoid Germany. Still, it just wouldn't be England if we did things the easy way.

Nudge

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    @monday suck: The Aussie-Serbia game was pretty good.

I got up at 4am to watch it haha.
    Serbia managed to find a few openings but couldn't capitalise apart from the one time.

Aussies played alright (obviously, they won lol) definetely alot better than against Germany.

All I have to say about them losing by so much to Germany is because of Pim Verbeek.
    He left Harry Kewell, Josh Kennedy and Marco Bresciano all on the bench which meant we were screwed from the get-go, but meh, whatever.

He definetely made some better choices for the Ghana and Serbia matches.

If England is playing Germany I'm assuming USA is playing Ghana?

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
    Years
  • HAHAHA! England vs. Germany! Yay, finally a chance for the English to get eliminated!

Now the only hope for Africa is Ivory Coast. I'm not sure if my calculations are right, but I think Brazil has to win against Portugal 2-1 and Ivory Coast has to win against North Korea 4-0 or something for them to qualify.

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
  • Nudge, yeah, it's USA vs Ghana in the next round.

England vs Germany. Damn. I wanted Germany to take on USA. But whatever, better now than later.

The world cup gets really tougher for England from now on. Germany in the last 16, possible clash with Argentina in the last 8, we have to play like we played in the qualifiers now.

EDIT: WonderGirl, Ghana is through to the next round already, they are the only African hope left as Ivory Coast need a miracle to qualify.

Portugal's GD is +7 while Ivory Coast's is -2. Assuming Brazil beat Portugal 3-0, Portugal's GD will drop to +4. Ivory Coast would need to win 6-0 to get their GD to +4 and then, as they both can't be seprated on goal difference, goals scored and head-to-head, there will be a lucky draw to determine who gets to the next round. Ivory Coast need to win 7-0 to qualify without a lucky draw in case of a 3-0 Brazillian win.

Lol if Brazil win 1-0, Ivory Coast need to win 8-0 for a lucky draw and 9-0 for assured qualification. It seems Ghana is the only hope for Africa in this World Cup now.

Last edited:

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • I'm actually hoping that England beats Germany. If, by some miracle, USA gets any farther... No, I won't complete that sentence. I won't jinx us...

But, yeah, USA lucked out. I'll admit it.

jjeangi

It's me...
    Years
  • Can't wait to watch the Netherlands tomorrow. Hopefully Robben is FINALLY back. They've pretty much already qualified but I still want to see a good performance against Cameroon.

And yes, the U.S. is playing Ghana.
    "The matchup provides some interesting talking points for eager U.S. fans looking ahead to Saturday's clash. Ghana were the last team the Americans saw on the pitch in their horrid 2006 World Cup campaign in Germany, watching their hopes vanish with a weak penalty call and a collapsing Claudio Reyna helping advance the damage on the way to a 2-1 loss that had us all waiting four long years for Wednesday's events. A certain measure of revenge will be on the Americans' minds, and they'd be hard pressed to go out to the Ghanaians in as crippling a fashion as four years ago. It's do or die once again for the Yanks and the Black Stars.
    In terms of the present, the U.S. will head into the match with the massive confidence-boosting trump card of that Landon Donovan extra time winner that sent them through in their back pocket, something most nations certainly won't possess and would probably sell their fitness coach's left arm for. Ghana have seemingly limped into the last 16, having not won since the first game of the tournament after being held by a 10-man Australia in the second and falling to group winners Germany 1-0 in the third. Ghana have also yet to score from the run of play in the entire tournament, finding their two goals off penalty kicks from star attacker Asamoah Gyan in each of their first two games. Also, if you put any stock in FIFA's wacky rankings, the U.S. would be considered the favorite heading in as the 14th ranked nation in the world and Ghana being the 32nd. But, if any of that actually mattered, maybe they wouldn't be playing that game on Saturday.
    Yet, they are. And when the Americans take the pitch, pundits will be sure to play up that "them against an entire continent in Africa's first time hosting the World Cup" angle. Just another monumental challenge thrown their way. Will they respond again?" - Yahoo Sports.

Years
  • Why is everyone hating on us English?

Wouldn't even be discussing the world cup if not for us. :P

Not too optimistic for getting to the quarter finals, Germany being our opponents and all. I hope we go for it with Lennon & Wright-Phillips on the wings to use their pace to our advantage, I know that Germany will use pace so I hope we try. But I can see Gerrard & Milner being put out wide instead.

I think we can win 1-0 or stall them to penalties (which would mean we lose) but other than that can't see us beating them, I think whatever the outcome they will utterly outplay us.

Years
  • Unbelieveable, I don't know how Italy have crumbled like this.

They'll be unhappy because they know they battered New Zealand but didn't get the result to go with it.

EDIT: 2-1 now anyway, might be chance for the Italians yet.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • I have never, ever watched a football match in its entirety in my entire life...but this Italy v. Slovakia match is ROCKING MY SOCKS! Slovakia is just...JFC THEY JUST SCORED AGAIN WHILST I WAS TYPING! omg. This is actually thrilling stuff. XD

Back