• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

User Reputation is Back!

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • In case you haven't noticed, we've gone through some big changes recently. You've probably checked out the new member profiles and social groups and gotten acquainted with them thanks to this announcement, but we have something else now, too.

Reputation is back!

We had it years ago and disabled it because users were abusing it. However, we're ready to give it another try. What is this system, you ask? Well, this is taken right from the FAQ to help explain it.

What is reputation?

Reputation is a way of rating users depending on the quality of their posts. If the administrators have enabled reputation, then the reputation icon will be visible in posts.

Reputation may be positive
    reputation_pos.gif
    , negative
    reputation_neg.gif
    or neutral
    reputation_balance.gif
    . Negative reputation may only be given if the administrator has enabled this. Neutral reputation is only given when the person giving reputation does not meet the criteria set by the administrator to affect someone else's reputation.

How do I give reputation?

To give reputation, click on the reputation icon
    reputation.gif
    in the relevant post. This will reveal a form to complete with the reputation type and the reason for giving the reputation. If negative reputation is disabled then it will not be displayed in this form. You may not give reputation for the same post twice.

How do I know what reputation I have received?

You can view the reputation that you have received in your User CP (User Control Panel) where it is displayed at the bottom of the User CP page. Here you will see the latest reputation that you have received and whether this is positive, negative or neutral. Your total reputation will be shown as series of reputation indicators in your posts and profile. The more positive your reputation, the more positive icons will be shown. The more negative your reputation the more negative icons will be shown.

How much reputation is given? What is reputation power?

If the administrator has enabled this, the amount of reputation that each user will give (or take away if negative) is shown in the user's posts as 'Reputation Power'. The value of the reputation power is determined by the administrator and may increase over time depending on the settings they have applied.

What if I don't want anyone to see my reputation?

You can disable the display of your reputation by going to your User CP and selecting Edit Options. On this page you will find a check box labelled 'Show Your Reputation Level'. Un-checking this box will remove the display of your reputation and replace it with the Reputation Disabled icon. You can still give and receive reputation while your reputation display is disabled.
    Remember, the images may vary by theme. We haven't used rep for a very long time, so if some images are missing, just let us know.

The Rules of Reputation

With all great things come pesky rules. :P Just so you know, we've written rules to accomodate reputation, user profiles, and social groups. You can find them in the Official Rules post. Because reputation is new to a lot of people, I would also like to highlight the rules related to reputation here.

The Reputation System

Reputation is a system of ranking members based on their posts. Basically, if you see a post that you like, you give the user good rep for it. Likewise, if you see a post that isn't very good, you give it bad rep.

Give good reputation for a reason.
    The reputation is for rating posts. Don't give out rep and request to get rep back. Reputation shouldn't be given out just to your friends. Try to give it out to posts that you really like and give it out only on occasion or else it's pointless.

Do not abuse bad reputation.
    Bad reputation is NOT meant to be given out just because you don't like someone or because you don't like their opinions. Reputation is meant to judge the post itself and nothing more. In your rep comments, there will be no flaming and no disrespect--all PC-wide rules still apply. Likewise, if someone gives you bad rep and you disagree with it, don't come to a moderator right away. Only report reputation abuse if the person has flamed you.

Reputation is a privilege, not a right.
    If there are many reports of abuse, we won't hesitate to disable it once more.

* There have also been updates to the rules to accommodate tags, user profiles, and social groups. Check them out when you get the chance!

I believe that's all. If you know of themes where the reputation images are broken, or if you just have further questions, just let us know in this thread. Thanks for reading and we hope you enjoy the reputation system once more!

Last edited:

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • I've always wondered why PC didn't have a rep system. It's about time the people who actually put some thought into their posts get rewarded.

Years
  • Wow... I remember plenty of discussions on this. I thought I'd never see the return of it. Do the gold blocks come back too? I can't believe you guys gave the the green. Hopefully it doesn't turn out like last time.

Cherrim

Years
  • Haha, we're pretty surprised too, Bobby. :( And man, I'd forgotten all about the gold blocks. I have no idea if we still have them. XD We'll have to wait a while to find out since rep was totally reset to level the playing field, so to speak.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Okay. Everyone needs to pray that this isn't abused as it was before. Anyways, cool. Good stuff. Should be fun.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • So there isn't any way to see who gives us the rep? In the UserCP I just see the comment, so I assume we're not able to see who awards us in anyway?

I hope this doesn't go overboard as I've heard of in the past. I hope this all works out.

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I hope people dont abuse it since so many people have wanted it ;)

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Oh awesome, I remember this from waaaaaay back. Way back meaning like 2 years maybe :x

Cool though, I just hope problems don't start up like they did back then ;-;

I remember when someone posted a thread in the questions forum, complaining that their reputation was bad, and that no one liked them. THUS THEY GOT LIKE... 8 REP SQUARES D:< ...cheaters...

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    Oh wow, it's so weird to see it back... but I'm not complaining. :D I just hope people don't abuse it like last time.

And this is probably a dumb question, but I noticed when I was editing my options that it said I had 10 rep points already. Is that, uh, what everyone starts off with? XD; Or were my old points carried over? Because I don't see where any comments were left in my CP or anything, so it confused me.

Cherrim

Years
  • Everyone was reset back to 10 points to make it fair. It's what you start out with by default.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I think it would be quite interesting to see how this works, as I've never worked with a rep system that much before. XD;

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    OMG! I remember when it got banned. This brings back memories from 2005. I was a total n00b back then and got all beat up by these bad rep marks. Now that I've grown up, let's see how this goes. :D

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    You must be kidding me :|

Well, um...too bad they were reset. Still...I supported it before and I got beaten into my head on 100 reasons why it was bad.
    It's worth a try again I guess.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Man, I remember that rep system way back. I think it was here when I joined three and a half years ago.

I was happy when it was gone. But only because people abuse it and giving everyone bad rep. Rep abuse was all time high. But hopefully the rep system won't get abused again. I am shocked that is back now.

Tsugaru

Twilight
    Years
  • Wow, never thought I'd see the return of Rep, I remember how bad it was when it was taken away. I'm not sure if I like the idea yet, I'll have to wait and see.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • APRIL FOOLS' GUYS

But, seriously, I'm happy. Don't ruin it this time, guys ;-;<3

ETA: Awww, we did a rep. reset. LAMEEEE I miss my 52000 rep. points or whatever insanely stupid number I had 8D

Years
  • This seems really cool. Now you can know which people are trolls and spammers. Well, you have to assume that but still its a really good idea. ^_^ (I just read to first post so I am probally missing something. XD)

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • Oh yay. Finally another chance. Thanks O_o

I honestly don't care at all since I never post much anyway.

Last edited:
    Back