• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Top Gear

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
Years
  • topgear460.jpg

The car show is back on British TV tonight, 8:00pm BBC Two, and I for one can't wait. In my opinion, it is the greatest TV show in the world, with it's mix of fact and humour, and the adventures of Clarkson, Hammond and May get better with every series, especially their American and African road trips, which were epic in their own right. I can't wait to see what this new series has in store for us.

Well, this thread is for those who wish to discuss the show, love it or loathe it. What do you think of the presenters? Are they correct and forthright in their un-PC views? Or do you just want to punch them in the face? Discuss away.

RangerLunick

Rookie Ranger
    Years
  • I think they are hilarious and even though a lot of it is faked (the caravan blowing up, the dead cow etc.) It's still hilarious.

Bit of a shame how most of the cars they review are the kind that myself and no one I know will be able to afford... ever.

Good show last night.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Heh, I thought that was Clarkson on the right of the photo at first. xD;

Anyway, I've watched it occasionally — funny stuff. One time when they went through... Alabama is it? The things they had written on their cars... :'D

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I love Top Gear, it's definitely up with my favourite television shows. James, Richard and Jeremy have to be some of the funniest people on television presently, in my opinion. Then again, I don't watch that much television so I don't have the greatest views in the world. I'm glad to here it's back and finished with its little hiatus and I'll be tuned in for it.

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    Top Gear is the business! It has a great appeal because of the presenters, they have rather eccentric views on cars and things. But it's 40-and-above year olds messing about like little children with big boys toys, and I love it :D

Even if they don't focus on cars that are out of our price range...

The thing is, Fifth Gear do just that. And it isnt as good I believe. It's rather bland and lacks the comedic edge. Most Channel 5 programs arent particularly good anyway compared to the better channels programs. I guess Fifth Gear is for those who think Top Gear is too over the top... like my grandad :P

burningfoot

Prepare Yourself!
    Years
  • Some say he once had a vicous knife fight with Anthea Turner, some say he is in no way involved in the cash for honours scandal. All we know is he's called Lord Stig!

Anyway, I think it's brilliant. Because of those three idiots I can actually see a difference between cars.

Last night, why? Seriously, why go to Japan? They're useless at Japanese. At least it made better comedy.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • The thing is, Fifth Gear do just that. And it isnt as good I believe. It's rather bland and lacks the comedic edge. Most Channel 5 programs arent particularly good anyway compared to the better channels programs. I guess Fifth Gear is for those who think Top Gear is too over the top... like my grandad :P

That's the reason why Fifth Gear will never be as good; it's a serious car programme that simply reviews cars and has a few guests. the casual viewer, such as your grandad, would enjoy Fifth Gear more. Whereas the target audience of Top Gear would generally be 13-45 year olds, where the comedic side and the dream of owning a supercar takes hold.

Some say he once had a vicous knife fight with Anthea Turner, some say he is in no way involved in the cash for honours scandal. All we know is he's called Lord Stig!

Anyway, I think it's brilliant. Because of those three idiots I can actually see a difference between cars.

Last night, why? Seriously, why go to Japan? They're useless at Japanese. At least it made better comedy.

...and some say that he has a full-size tatoo of his face... on his face.

I just love the enigmatic character of the Stig, arms folded and never talking. I hope they never reveal who he is and keep him as a lengendary TV character. And yes, they're all idiots and they get their fair share of complaints, but that's what makes the show so good. Like a Bill Oddie mask when going through japanese speed cameras ("He can spot your beaver from a mile away" Clarkson says to the Japanese fuel station assistant).

PB.

'PB
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2011
    I hate cars, and yet I can watch Top Gear, its so strange. Its funny, I just find Clarkson too arrogent sometimes.

burningfoot

Prepare Yourself!
    Years
  • The Bill Oddie mask was genius though.

I hate cars, and yet I can watch Top Gear, its so strange. Its funny, I just find Clarkson too arrogent sometimes.

I'm very similar because I'll never be allowed to drive unless you can have self driving cars that don't need to be driven to know where they're going. It's a horrible feeling knowing that it is impossible to drive that Bugatti Veyron.

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011

That's the good thing about Top Gear, it works both as an entertainment show and an informal fact show. Nearly 100% of the cars they review I will never be able to afford, but it's nice to know such things exist so I can dream about owning them lol :)

And DeanoDance, you've got it spot on ;) Though the cars I would really love to own are actually affordable. But I don't mean super cars, or even sports cars. :P

Back