• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

10 year old dies after imitating Gaara from Naruto

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Im not sure if you seen or heard this so I will post it here
    Codey "Code-Red" Porter died after imitating what this news station called "Nerutu Sand Ninjas" (Naruto).

EVERETT, Wash. - An Everett-area family is in mourning a 10-year-old boy who died after being buried alive by his playmates.

In a statement, the family of Codey Porter says he died peacefully at 3:35 p.m. on Monday with his family by his side.

The bizarre incident, which happened on Saturday, may have been sparked by a television cartoon.

Family members describe Codey, a fifth grader at Silver Firs Elementary School in Everett, as smart and imaginative. Unfortunately, it may have been his imagination that led to his critical situation.

"Really articulate. He's got a really good imagination too. He's just not a regular 10-year-old," said Joshua Quantrille, 30, who is Codey's half-brother.

Everett Public Schools

Codey Porter died Monday, March 10, 2008, two days after being buried alive in a sandbox.

Quantrille said Codey was playing with his own three sons and several other children Saturday in the backyard of a family friend's home.

"They watch a cartoon where there were like sandmasters or something. They can manipulate sand or something like that," said Quantrille. "He came up with an idea if he were to do this, then he would be able to be one of them. They're all under 10, so a pretty crazy imagination, you know. They were like hey, OK."

The cartoon "Naruto" shows the characters using sand as a tool and weapon and could have been what Codey and the others were trying to mimic when he was buried, headfirst, in a sandbox in the backyard of the house.

Quantrille said Codey was buried roughly from his head to his chest. At some point, he began thrashing around, but the children apparently thought he was playing.

Eventually they figured out something was wrong. They pulled Codey out and called the adults inside the home, who administered CPR until an aid car arrived.

On Monday, Codey's classmates at Silver Firs Elementary in Everett tried to understand what has happened to the fifth grader. The principal describes Codey as a very bright student with a lot of friends. The principal also sent home a letter with students so that their parents would be informed.

Parents said they were bracing for some difficult conversations.

"I have a third grader at home, so he's going to come home with some information. So certainly, the need to edit, filter, and hear what he thinks about what he heard is important," said one parent.

Grief counselors are now helping at the school.

Snohomish County detectives said they interviewed all the children playing in the sandbox at the time and view this as a tragic accident.

The Porter family decided to donate their son's organs. They are still formalizing plans to lay him to rest.

A memorial fund for Codey Porter has been set up through Gold Creek Community Church. The best way to donate is to log on to their Web site at www.goldcreek.org.

Codey, a fifth-grader, reportedly was playing among a group of children near his age late Saturday morning when the group came up with an idea inspired by the popular anime-style character "Naruto." According to the official U.S. Naruto Web site, the character is a 13-year-old aspiring ninja who likes to play pranks more than he likes to train.

The mimicry involved Codey's playmates burying him head-first in a one-foot-deep sandbox, Joshua Quantrille told ABC News' Seattle affiliate KOMO-TV. Quantrille, 30, is Codey Porter's half-brother and his three sons were among the boys playing in the sand box Saturday with Codey.

Quantrille said the other children initially thought Codey, buried from his head to the top of his chest, was joking when he started to thrash around. By the time they got help, the boy had already stopped breathing. Adults at the house tried unsuccessfully to administer CPR before emergency medical personnel arrived.

The boy was transported first to Providence Everett Medical Center and was later flown to Seattle, where he remained in critical condition at the children's hospital until his death Monday.

Youtube link

The quote is just a copied and pasted version of the youtube comment.

So what do you guys think?
    Comments
    Questions
    Concerns

Last edited:

lukeh

Former ROM Hacker
    Years
  • That...sucks... What idiots. I bet those friendsfelt pretty bad. Thats a lot of mental scarring there... Now they know...

Oh and my concern is: You spelled concern wrong.

Cynic Kaka

Credentials.
    Years
  • Gaara never stuck HIS head in a sand box

and a comment someone on the video

I kept telling people that Gaara can kill people and no one believed me.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • But he was stupid.

Surely a kid that is called bright will have more brain power to think "If I put my head in sand something bad will happen"

But still. Why is this even being discussed. It happened ages ago.

An Hero

Just cause he died in a way like that doesn't mean it's alright to to mock him for dying because of his mistake.

Whatever.

INFOWARRIOR56

Conspiracy Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2008
    I agree with Sorairo, don't consider this kid 'stupid'. I used to jump off my bed and end up on the floor with my mouth full of blood because I was copying this old computer game I had called "Gargoyles". That does not mean I was stupid. Kids do this kind of stuff. I really feel bad for this poor kid.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • But this Kid was stupid and yet the news people called him "Bright"
    A kid bright at school does not guarantee a kid bright in making decisions. I suppose the reporters meant to say that he was described as a bright and smart person acedemic-wise. Eh, really old news, though. These events don't really surprise me at all, actually. Cartoons can range from a broad sort of events, and kids naturally love a cartoon so much that they would come to the point to mimic the events, which can lead to stunts or injury. I recall that a Pokemon episode was banned in the U.S. because it featured Ash riding on Dragonair shooting a gun. Shortly after it aired in Japan, there were several child-shootings - mostly by Pokemon fans.

I don't see why he could have dug himself out though. 1 foot of sand isn't that deep.

INFOWARRIOR56

Conspiracy Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2008
    I'm not mocking him.

Its a retarded way to die really.

You realises that a 10 year old should be smarter. Most 10 year olds I know wouldn't even watch narutard.

Also it does make you stupid. I never jumped off my bed.

An Hero

Sorry for considering you genuine. I generally don't like to end up getting into a flame war with a timewasting troll. You are now ignored.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Firstly, Zanacross, have you any sympathy whatsoever? This poor boy has died of his mistake, and all you can do is comment on how "stupid" he and his death were? Think of his family, who is now without their son. Think of how the loss is affecting them.

Its a retarded way to die really.

Oh, really? Try saying that to this poor boy's grieving family, I'm sure they'd love to hear that.

You realises that a 10 year old should be smarter. Most 10 year olds I know wouldn't even watch narutard.

At ten years old, can you expect them to have excellent decision-making skills? Popular cartoons, such as Naruto can be very influential on children, and sometimes when children try to imitate the stunts they see on TV, things get out of hand. This kid wasn't making the right decision to imitate this particular stunt, but he's not the only one who's made decisions like these.

Also it does make you stupid. I never jumped off my bed.

Just because you didn't doesn't mean everyone else who has is stupid. Hell, I've jumped off my bed, does that make me stupid? When I was little, I found it fun, albeit dangerous, but fun nevertheless. When children mimic what they see on TV, it's not out of stupidity. Their intention is for it to be for fun, however, unfortunately, that fun gets a little out of hand and people get hurt or even die because of it.

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I think I took this a bit to far but it just annoys me to see a little kid die in such a way. They have been given a blessed life and they die so young. It just...well I don't really know just hits me.

Sorry if I upset anyone with my post's but I will stand to some of my points still.

sandcrawler

slacking off in my spare time.
    Years
  • Codey "Code-Red" Porter
    What an awesome nickname. It's even hyphenated.

Literally burying your head in the sand? I'm personally tired of these stories unless it's a danger to other children, like gun violence or abductions, local pedos, etc.

Dr. Salt

Rawr <3
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2009
    Poor kid. I still don't get two things though.

1. Did Garra ever stick his head in sand?
    2. Couldn't you push yourself out of the sand? It's not that deep.

Anyway, that's so sad. I remember hearing a story where these video-game obsessed kids killed their brother cause they thought that he would come back to life. Also I remember a story that my teacher told me. She and her friends were playing cowboy, and they had seen how cowboys hung people, and they made one kid hang himself.

Imagine being those kids. You would be scarred for life probably. I would be so upset that I didn't save my friend after something like that had happened. They're going to feel bad for the rest of their life probably.

I recall that a Pokemon episode was banned in the U.S. because it featured Ash riding on Dragonair shooting a gun

Lawl.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 14, 2009
    I read the actual article on the Internet and again on another forum, as I stated in another thread similar to this one. It's sad to see how much influence the entertainment industry has upon our youth. And how when our youth try to fuse realism with imagination to an extreme, terrible accidents can happen such as this.

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    I've already heard about it on Youtube, but it's sad either way. It's upsetting how they died really. A 10 year old died trying to imitate Garra. It's not worth it. I feel sorry for his playmates for they have to carry that guilt of killing their friend throughout their lives as well.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • To be honest. This is why 10 year olds should not be watching anime. The themes and 'action' are just too much for them to understand and know not to do. -facepalm- No wonder anime has such a bad public image sometimes.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 14, 2009
    To be honest. This is why 10 year olds should not be watching anime. The themes and 'action' are just too much for them to understand and know not to do. -facepalm- No wonder anime has such a bad public image sometimes.

Exactly that's why there are restrictions in place, but they are obviously under minded by the parents.

Back