• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

10 year old dies after imitating Gaara from Naruto

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Ergh, this is old news. I heard about this a long time ago. Not on Youtube, but on the news. XD But that's the reason they shouldn't show TV shows with a higher rating than TV-G on Cartoon Network. A lot of kids that watch Cartoon Network aren't old enough to understand that they can't do the things that people do on cartoons. I'm shocked that a 10-year-old wasn't capable of understanding that he doesn't have "Sand powers". I thought he would have had enough sense to know that. Now yes, he's 10, he has a wild imagination. But everyone needs more common sense than more imagination. As for all the anime they show on Cartoon Network, One Piece, Naruto, Pokemon; anime movies. The networks may want to think about moving those to another channel. I'm not trying to be mean in any way possible. I feel for the family and the kid, the family will probably cry every time they hear the word "Naruto", and "Sand." I feel awful. But, it's pretty much common sense. = /

Last edited:

popsicles.

F A S C I N A T I O N .
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2009
    o.o

Woah. I feel sorry for that kid x(
    But yeah, it's true. They should at least make a PG rate or something.

Where were the 'elders' by the way? Shouldn't there be someone taking a look at those kids? :x

And besides, if my friend wanted to bury himself into sand, and he suddenly starts to trash around, I wouldn't laugh a that o.o
    Man, I would find it scary and try to dig him up as soon as possible.

INFOWARRIOR56

Conspiracy Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2008
    I think he might have been trying to imitate the sand coffin technique, where Gaara traps someone in sand.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    Owned.

j/k

IMO it's just stupidity on all of the kids' part, most 10 year olds know not to bury one another alive, at least the ones I've met.

ShadowofTime01

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    I remembered reading about this when it happened... Mostly because that was my elementary school he was from... Initially, the reports said that he was imitating a different show. It makes more sense now that you say he was imitating Garra. Isn't Naruto tv-14 or something? that's why it's on so later in the evening? I mean the kid shouldn't have been watching it initially. But i remember when i was a fourth or fifth grader at Silver Firs and I was playing Dragon Ball Z with my friends, i just think kids should be able to think practically when it comes to play fighting. Use your imiagination, don't actually burry yourself in a sand coffin...

All this article really is is sad. These kids were just trying to have fun and play, and they ended up killing their step-uncle/friend. But kids will continue to play and be influenced by what they watch on tv, so all we can hope is that kids have enough sense to not do someting too stupid, and parents monitor what their kids what on tv and when they play.

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    Owned.

j/k

IMO it's just stupidity on all of the kids' part, most 10 year olds know not to bury one another alive, at least the ones I've met.

This is what ive been saying all along but in a different way

Tater Tot

Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    "Wasn't Naruto TV-14 or something?" Probably the Japanese version of it. I think they edit a ton from the Japanese version. In America, it varies from PG, to PG-V, to PG-DV, and a couple, PG-DSV. o_o It's like that new show on CN, Total Drama Island. At least they put a warning up before the show. Although, I've never heard the characters curse. o.O It's TV-PG, they might as well do something with the rating. XDD *joke* But seriously, as I said earlier, the people running CN may want to think about changing all their anime to a different channel. Since Naruto is basically the equivalent of kids watching something like.. The N. o_o Instead it's animated.

ShadowofTime01

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    I thought "The N" was more like Teen dramas... Plus it's on digital cable and the other extended tv services. I mean I remember when Toonami used to be from 4-7pm, And they'd feature a lot of cool anime: Gundam Wing, DBZ, Robotech, Outlaw Star, plus the likes of Voltron, Johnny Quest, Ronin Warriors, and other shows that i can't remember at the moment. And as much as they were "censored" like edited so that there's no blood, nudity, or strong language, they were still violent in their own way, I mean Outlaw Star had guns!

I think the point I'm trying to make is that this was an unfortunate accident, but it's not like other cartoons from today are that much different. Although Naruto is the most violent i've seen in awhile, it's on later at night when younger viewers should be asleep or something.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    This is very old news. I heard about this on YouTube and a NarutoFan forum a long time ago. I felt sorry for the kid. I know he wanted to be like Gaara, but I wish the parents taught him the difference between fantasy and reality. But at ten years old, I guess you don't think that way. Or maybe his "friends" drag him on. Maybe on a dare. They made him do that. That could be the case as well. At least of what they can do is help him, since he couldn't get out himself. They didn't do that.

Tater Tot

Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I looked up TV content ratings last night.. Did you know that TV-Y7, and TV-PG are the same? o_o That's kinda stupid. XD @Shadowoftime: I was just saying, that The N is something that kids shouldn't be watching, and so is Naruto. But I guess they just get caught up in the fantasy of it, and it's hard to get them out. o.o

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    guys this is really old news...like 2 months maybe

Michii

as in Mishy
    Years
    Well, I don't care how old this is, we can still express opinion on it.

I for one at ten know that I didn't grab a plastic pokeball and try catching squirrels. It confuses me; I thought that ten year olds were able to distinguish fact from fiction. Unfortunately, I guess I was wrong. A kid is dead, and that's sad. He should have atleast had a snorkling mask on that stuck out of the sand [in all seriousness, he should have given himself some way to breathe if he was going to do that at all]. >>

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    The principal describes Codey as a very bright student with a lot of friends.
    Everyone gets described like that in these things, so I'm not taken to believing that statement.
    2. Couldn't you push yourself out of the sand? It's not that deep.
    Given how he was buried, I'd imagine so. This Codey being ten years old however, may change that; and he probably panicked, which led to helpless thrashing instead of a logical move.
    My thoughts exactly.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    what i can't believe is the fact the fifth graders couldn't figure what the thrashing around meant :\

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Ergh, this is old news. I heard about this a long time ago. Not on Youtube, but on the news. XD But that's the reason they shouldn't show TV shows with a higher rating than TV-G on Cartoon Network. A lot of kids that watch Cartoon Network aren't old enough to understand that they can't do the things that people do on cartoons. I'm shocked that a 10-year-old wasn't capable of understanding that he doesn't have "Sand powers". I thought he would have had enough sense to know that. Now yes, he's 10, he has a wild imagination. But everyone needs more common sense than more imagination. As for all the anime they show on Cartoon Network, One Piece, Naruto, Pokemon; anime movies. The networks may want to think about moving those to another channel. I'm not trying to be mean in any way possible. I feel for the family and the kid, the family will probably cry every time they hear the word "Naruto", and "Sand." I feel awful. But, it's pretty much common sense. = /

What I don't seem to understand are a few things that some people had already pointed out.

• Why is a 10 year old boy watching shows so late when he should be in bed or something? I mean, isn't Naruto only shown at like.. 11 o'clock at night anyway in the United States? Most 10 year old kids I know are in bed at that time.
    • Regardless of the time, the boy was watching the show. Did his parents not tell him not to try these things because they would have deadly consiquences? Also, doesn't Cartoon Network show a message before and after anime shows warning not to attempt these acts, as stated above, because they can lead to deadly consiquences?
    • Why did the boy, who is said to be a bright child, even let his friends burry him in the sand? Why did the children accept to burry the boy in sand? Clearly the boy isn't that bright for doing that, as Nanako Nanashima said, it is always stated in casses such as these. Even if the boy is 10, common sense would tell you not to allow that to happen to you and to avoid putting your face in sand.
    • Where were the parents and guardians? I mean, it was in a sandbox, which was in someone's backyard. Why wasn't anyone watching the children, especially if they were in their own backyard? Whenever I'm over my friends house, and I'm 16, my friends parents are always watching every now and then to make sure everything is okay.
    • Why didn't the kid just sit up? Sand isn't that heavy on a kid, despite being so young. I remember when I was burried in sand in a sandbox (though, of course, it wasn't my head). I was seven and I could just sit up and the sand slide off.
    • If anyone would be stupid, I would blame it on the kids who were with him. They were the ones who burried him and as The_One_Winged_Angel had said, they didn't even do anything when they saw he was thrashing about.
    Please do not get me wrong. As I have stated in the other thread, I have the deepest sympathy for these children who were involved and their families. It's upsetting to see this happen to someone so young, much less anyone at all. Of course, this case is different than the other because this one actually had ignorant children involved, the other one clearly has someone with a mental disability or an illness.

Tamaki

☆ Puh puh puh poker face ☆
    Years
    Naruto is TVPG. *just watched it a few days ago*

The boy was not stupid. He was just young and trying to be like someone he looked up to. I'm sure all of you looked up to someone fictional when you were little, too. And you probably imitated them in some way.

No, Gaara never stuck his head in a sandbox... but as I said, the kid was young and didn't really know all what he was doing... And neither did his friends.

That said, I think this is really a sad story. Nothing for all of you to laugh at; someone dying is never funny or stupid.

Nanako Nanashima, they don't always say things like that. Usually they say how much the parents love them and will miss them, and how nice they were to have around. They don't always say how smart they were. I'm sure the little boy was as bright as they say he was. This incident has nothing to do with that.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    one word, moron. That is why they shouldn't do stuff like that on TV shows. That is why they show it at 11 at night, cuz they think kids that young are asleep by then, wrong.

Back