• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the best Type Combo?

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    What would be the best type combo? Im thinking the least weaknesses, the most resistances, and have the best type advantage ( strong against like everything)

I think Dragon would have to be involved somehow because of its resistances... maybe like a fire/Dragon...

What about Ghost/Dark? (why wasnt Ghastly - Gengar Ghost/Dark when they actually learn Dark type attacks and no Poison attacks?)

Years
  • What about Ghost/Dark? (why wasnt Ghastly - Gengar Ghost/Dark when they actually learn Dark type attacks and no Poison attacks?)
    Gastly is composed of a poisonous gas, and I assume the others are as well (At least somewhat.), then again, Gengar's suppose to be a shadow. ._.

Dialga had a pretty awesome type combo, so did Heatran. Ultimately I'd have to agree with Ghost/Dark.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
  • Problem is, if I see a weakened Pokemon left in, I'm going to hit the incoming Pokemon with maximum force. That usually means an Earthquake, Fire Blast, or Close Combat to the face. Magnezone... isn't good at handling any of those. Seriously, almost all of OU (with the exception of NINJASK and some others) can use one or the other of the types Magnezone is weak to. =O

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • steel/dark? wait no it gets 4x damage to fighting moves.
    dragon/ice is expected for the 5th gen, hmm it gets 1x to ice (yay!) 2x to dragon, and 2x to fighting and rock. well thats a downer.
    steel/ghost combo! it has immunity to fighting types, its ability could be levitate, 1x damage from ghost and dark its perfect! the only weakness is water but thats all right :D

iLaxbe!

by Duke R
    Years
  • Junichi Masuda said that the most challenging opponent would be a well trained Bronzong. Not just because it's a Steel/Psychic Pokémon, but 'cause it can have Levitate or Heatproof. So, Bronzong has weakness againt only one type (Fire or Ground).

But my favorite is Water/Dragon, IMO.

Phaux

Legend Hunter
    Years
  • Water/Dragon also gets my vote, and I'm still hoping they will fix Gyarados and make him part dragon instead of flying.

That, and I like Palkia, it's only weakness is dragon, but it also is only resistant to 3 types, steel fire and water, everything else is x1.

Feathing

Water Gym Master
    Years
  • Dark/Ghost is the best type combination. As far as I know, its the only combination without weaknesses.

I really like water/ground, though its 2x weakness to grass makes it tough sometimes..

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • Dark/Ghost, but sadly it is used by weak pokemon like Sableye and Spiritomb.

Water/Dragon is the second best, since the pokemon of that type has very high defenses.

Next is Dragon/Psychic, mostly it's uniqueness.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Dark/Ghost so does has a weakness, it just takes two turns to kick in. It's this little thing called foresight + fighting move, but taking minimum two turns in a 1 v 1 battle to do a super effective hit is pretty nice.

Toxicroak

Mustard
    Years
  • Apart from dark/ghost...

defiantly Electric/steel, it has 12 resistances and 1 immunity
    ( if magnezone uses magnet rise it has 2 immunities )

So other than spiritomb and sableye i recommend magnezone

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    You can't really have everything.

The least weaknesses:
    1. Ghost/Dark (still vulnerable with Foresight)
    2.1 Electric/Electric (Ground) (w/ Levitate = no weaknesses)
    2.2 Dark/Poison (Ground)
    2.3 Water/Dragon (Dragon)
    2.4 Normal/Normal (Fighting)
    2.5 Water/Ground (4x Grass)
    2.6 Bug/Steel (4x Fire) (No weakness with Flash Fire)

The most super effectives scores with just STAB:
    1. Ghost/Fighting (0 resists)
    2. Dragon/Fire (resisted by Heatran)
    3. Dragon/Water (resisted by Empoleon and Shedinja)
    4. Ice/Electric (resisted by Lanturn, Magneton lines and Shedinja)

The most resistances:
    1. Steel/Electric (12 resists)
    2.1 Water/Steel (11 resists)
    2.2 Steel/Dragon
    2.3 Steel/Steel

Last edited:

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    The most super effectives scores with just STAB:
    1. Ghost/Fighting (0 resists)
    2. Dragon/Fire (resisted by Heatran)
    3. Dragon/Water (resisted by Empoleon and Shedinja)
    4. Ice/Electric (resisted by Lanturn, Magneton lines and Shedinja)

You're not really talking about Super-effective hits, but of at least neutral hits. so Dragon/Fire does at least neutral damage to every Pokemon, including Heatran. It is better than Ghost/Fighting as Dragon/Fire hits at least neutrally against every hypothetical type their could ever possibly be, excluding a new type or changes in type match-ups. Ghost/Fighting on the other hand would be useless against a hypothetical Normal/Ghost Pokemon, unless it had first used Foresight.

Ayselipera

Well even though Ghost/Dark has no weaknesses I still feel as though Water/Dragon is the most useful.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Normal.

I have tried experimenting to see what type combos would have the most resistances, but I quit about halfway through listing them. XP I'll start that back up and find out.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Yes, the best existing type combo is Dark/Ghost but it is ran by useless Pokemon (thank goodness) and second has to be Water/Dragon.

Years
    • Seen today
    Yeah.But nintendo and gamefreak can't make an ultimate pokemon.Heck, even Arceus is easily pwnd. Dragon/Steel.Dialga only has one weakness, Ground. (all other dragons bar Palkia and Giratina from D/P are immune to ground)

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • Defensively, Dark/Ghost is best, having no weaknesss, of course. There are probably others when abilities like Water/Volt Absorb, Flash Fire or Levitate cover their weaknesses.

Offensively, Normal/Water and Ghost/Fighting due to their widespread neutrality. STABs on neutrality is great, since you're virtually guaranteed to get, at the very least, decent damage in.

Back