• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

El Cinco De Mayo

chadgraphix

the Fame.
Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2011
    El Cinco De Mayo Controversy

Today, at my school, five guys decided to wear shirts with American Flags on them. They said they did this to show their patriotism, and we're believed to want to start a fight. They all had to leave school for this. It became so "dramatic" that it'll even be on the news later.

Read more here: https://www.morganhilltimes.com/new...-sent-home-for-wearing-american-flag-t-shirts

Discuss. :D

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Those arse bags were begging for a ****ing Mexican War II. You can read through people's minds without a super power and 10,000 miles away nowadays.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Remember the Alamo.

El Cinco De Mayo

Lol @ arse bags. Honestly, who cares? They are just young kids acting dumb trying to get attention. On the bright side, they got the day off of school, I would have done it too for the day off.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I kinduh celebrated Cinco De Mayo on the second. We had this big thing down at the park(our town) I just hung out, listened to music, and talked to some people.

As for the people wearing the American Flag... what jokes. It is no mere coincidence that they'd wear those shirts today... someone needs to set them straight..

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • "We just wanted to show our pride."

My ass.

Seriously, you choose that day to wear the flag to school? It's obvious they had bad intentions :| Pride my butt, they wanted to start a fight.

Years
  • Well, they clearly were trying to start something by doing that in a school with such a high level of diversity. I have no problems with them wearing the shirts, but I do have issues with what is a blatant attempt to incite a riot among those students of Mexican heritage.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Maybe they were just trying to show their pride and it was bad timing? You guys are judging them too harshly.

Also, who the hell still wears american flag shirts anyway though? Seriously, its the most unpleasing flag to look at from an aesthetics point of view. Its not symetrical, how can you wear that in public? Maybe they were sent home because flag shirts are ugly.

chadgraphix

the Fame.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2011
    By the way, if you knew these guys like I do, you would know they definitely had BAD intentions.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • By the way, if you knew these guys like I do, you would know they definitely had BAD intentions.

I still think its funny though. They trolled in real life, and it worked. Props to them for successfully trolling.

Years
  • Also, who the hell still wears american flag shirts anyway though? Seriously, its the most unpleasing flag to look at from an aesthetics point of view. Its not symetrical, how can you wear that in public? Maybe they were sent home because flag shirts are ugly.

I can think of a few (thousand) people. It's also not as bad as you make it sound. It's also not alone in not being symmetrical amongst flags.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 27, 2010
    Its all to do with Poltical Correctness.

Its happened here in the UK loads of times. A library in Scotland got took to take its national flag down inside, because an immigrant(sp?) said it offended him.

You cant show your support for your country without being told to stop because It might offend others who moved to your country, dont like there and want to change everything...

Sorry for the rant.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Political corectness is a nice way of saying anti-1st Amendment.
    These students have rights. These rights have been upheld since the 1960's when the U.S. Supreme Court upheld students right to wear controversial anti-war gear to school as being protected under the 1st Amendment. There is no doubt that wearing such things were offensive to others.
    The same goes with these students. The school district deserves to be sued for their violation of these student's constitutional rights. The 1st Amendment protects them BUT it also protects those who were offended's right to make a statement back.

Whatever their intenions were in wearing the shirts are not the issue. This issue is that the 1st Amendment right to freedom of expression was violated that day.

A bit of opinion here, Cinco De Mayo is for Mexican-AMERICANS which means they should be proud to support the American flag just as much as they are proud to support the Mexican flag, being a Mexican-American myself.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • The fact it's in California is funny. Technically that's Mexican land, and the Mexicans there shouldn't be labeled "immigrants" since the land was stolen from them / bought at a ridiculous price.

It is obvious that these students just wanted to piss people off, though. They should've had some integrity and thought: "Why am I doing this? It's a Mexican Pride day. Will this offend someone?"

Nan, they were just thinking: "I'm'a piss dem Mexicans off! HARHAR!"

>>

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • <+reyscarface> et, contrary to popular belief, we dont celebrate cinco de mayo here in mexico

Reyscarface is a mexican kid who is on smogon. apparently they don't celebrate it in mexico. i though that was kinda funny.

Years
  • The fact it's in California is funny. Technically that's Mexican land, and the Mexicans there shouldn't be labeled "immigrants" since the land was stolen from them / bought at a ridiculous price.
    If you want to be technical it's not Mexican land either since Spain stole it from its original inhabitants.

Those kids have the right to be asses, but it doesn't mean it was right for them to be asses.

Years
  • If here in Germany some people would talk about "german pride" or something like that, they would probably go to prison, even without offending other ethnical groups.
    ...at least theoretically, because practically it looks more like the law doesn't quite have nationalism and neonazism under control. Seriously, our highest court of justice isn't even able to forbid the Nazi party's successor party (who have grown pretty strong in the recent years in economically weak areas... just like back then)

chadgraphix

the Fame.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2011
    This is turning into a big media circus in my city. There's easily 30 cops outside (wearing bulletproof vests), 5 news cars, and several people are going home. There's a huge riot of people, and I left home early because I felt uncomfortable.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    This is turning into a big media circus in my city. There's easily 30 cops outside (wearing bulletproof vests), 5 news cars, and several people are going home. There's a huge riot of people, and I left home early because I felt uncomfortable.

I'd expect that in Morgan Hill. I felt some racial tension when I lived there.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • So I was thinking about this today, and my family and I were talking about it and such because we have boring dinner conversations, and isn't this technically a free speech violation? Its kinda like the black armbands from the 70s, but reverse.

Back