• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What Happened to Wally?

Inferny

Lord of Pokabu
Years
  • I was pretty young when I played my copy of Sapphire through. I remember helping Wally catch a Ralts, but really nothing else. Did the character encounter him again? Did he have anything to do with the storyline? I've lost my copy of the game so I would appreciate if anybody could give me some clearance about WHO. WAS. WALLY.

Dun dun dun duuun...

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    Wally's basic role was to take over as rival after May left to study Pokemon.
    You met Wally, (I think) 3 times. Once at the beginning of the game, at Petalburg, then you battle him at Mauville, then at Victory Road, where he becomes quite challenging.

Inferny

Lord of Pokabu
    Years
  • Ooh, you're right...Petalburg when he catches Ralts, Mauville outside the gym and on VIctory Road with his epic Gardevoir. Thanks!

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I can second that to be the truth. And in Emerald, you can get a re-match with him in Victory Road, even stronger.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • I think Wally could be more strong, i really love my rivals to give me hardcore battles but it's sad to say thah Wally is very weak =S

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Yeah...but compared to May/Brendan, and trainers in Hoenn in general outside Ever Grande City and Battle Frontier.....Wally's the only thing close to a challenge.

shawn0173

Pokemon: Metallic Flames!
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2013
    wally was awesome, maybe they should create the game where you are wally and stuff. that would be cool :D

Peaceloveglalie

The one and only.
    Years
  • Hopefully, if there are R/S/E remakes, he'll be made stronger. Blue, Silver, and Pearl were legitimately challenging. Wally was a push-over.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • I think Wally could be more strong, i really love my rivals to give me hardcore battles but it's sad to say thah Wally is very weak =S

Hes not weak, he just doesnt battle you as many times. All the charicters have a different personality:

gary- cool and calm

silver- mean aggressive

wally- shy, quiet

barry- can never sit still.

as for wally
    I think he suffers from an illness like ashma or something along the lines of that.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I like how wally acts in the webcomic Pokemon X http://pokemonx.comicgenesis.com/
    in the games we didn't get to know him TOO much.
    I was shocked when he challenged me to a battle at victory road- I was 8 though

more about Wally-http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wally

dbzmay

Advanced Adventure
    Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2019
    Wally was a good character, In my opinion he was one of the only good challenges in the game, and he actually gave the game a bit of a storyline. I think that Pokemon should create more characters like this and actually try to develop a game with a bit more of a storyline

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Wally got himself mixed up with Bernie Madoff's scheme and is serving prison time right now.

IIRC, in Emerald, if you rematch Wally enough times, his levels grow until they're just shy of Wallace's. His movesets and team members aren't too much of a challenge, but he is decent experience.

He would have been more interesting as a character if you encountered him more often (and not always to battle). It might have created the impression that he really was your protege instead of being a kid who pops up a couple times during your journey. You would be able to see his gradual growth and learning the ropes along the way. Then again, it would have ruined the surprise of him coming at you with Pokemon stronger than anyone else's in Victory Road.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Yeah, I loved him in Victory Road..

from my memory, does he challenge you at the start of it, then again at the end?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Yeah, I loved him in Victory Road..

from my memory, does he challenge you at the start of it, then again at the end?
    You challenge him at the end of Victory Road.

To answer the question: you first encounter Wally again in Mauville City when he tries to challenge the gym, but he can't, because his uncle won't let him. Then you battle him and he leaves for Verdanturf afterward. He stays there for a while, then leaves. When you're about to leave Victory Road, Wally approaches you and challenges you to a battle. After that, he stays in Victory Road and you'll know if he wants to battle you again via the Pokenav.

As for my opinions on Wally being a rival: I don't think he's cut out for it because he's just too nice.

ROFLCOPTERNZ

Sora's Heartless
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    as for wally
    I think he suffers from an illness like ashma or something along the lines of that.

Wally is a minor character that you first meet outside Petalburg. As he is leaving to Verdanturf he doesn't want to be lonely, so he asks your dad if he can help. You help him catch a Ralts, he is very happy. Nextdoor to the gym is his old house, they say he is moving there because the air is cleaner(he has asthma). You again meet him outside Mauville Gym, he wants to challenge you, if win he promises to train harder. Third is at Victory Road. He challenges you with Gardevoir, if win before you leave he lets you know you can verse him via Pokenav.

I really wanna make Wally a character as EOLs said

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • Yeah...but compared to May/Brendan, and trainers in Hoenn in general outside Ever Grande City and Battle Frontier.....Wally's the only thing close to a challenge.

Wally is like May/Brendan's successor of being a rival in R/S/E.

But for being a challenge, you shouldn't forget bout Steven.
    Wally and Steven are the most well-rounded trainers than anyone else. Yet, I think Steven's* roster will rape Wally's. May/Brendan are so-so.

All Steven's Pokes have dual types like:
    Spoiler:
    which give him a lot of advantage over Wally who only would have
    Spoiler:
    Though Wally lacks one more Pokemon to complete his team, I still think Steven being more powerful. (Maybe if he gets a Flawless EV'ed Mewtwo, he'll win. xd)

Nathaniel.

is here
    Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2012
    I always thougth wally was a weird character, why was he there, he did have a role. He was just "some kid"

Haha, this. Whenever he battled me after meeting him for the first time, I always forget who the hell is he. He was really neither a rival nor a 'tough' opponent to me.

ROFLCOPTERNZ

Sora's Heartless
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010

Haha, this. Whenever he battled me after meeting him for the first time, I always forget who the hell is he. He was really neither a rival nor a 'tough' opponent to me.

Yea i guess so. Like he was trying to get stronger but by the time you actually did get to him on the Vic. Road your pokemon were too powerful, And you do forget him becai=use he never comes back again unless you check your pokenav.

Back