• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do you listen to music?

Numbers

Say my name
Years
  • I seen this comment posted in another thread and it got me thinking.

I don't turn to songs for deep meaning--I turn to them for something to listen to when I need some background noise.

Everyone has their own reasons for listening to music.
    For me it depends on what mood I'm in. If I'm in a sad mood I'll usually go find a song that has lyrics that relate to me or one that has a sad/relaxing melody to take my mind off things. If I'm in a happy mood I'll listen to songs that have a good beat to keep me in that happy mood. Or if I'm in the mood to work out I'll listen to music to get pumped up.
    Also whenever I need to study for something I'll put music on just for the sake of it. Just to have a bit of backgroud noise.

So why do you listen to music?
    Do you have multiple reasons?
    Does it just depend on what mood you're in?

I'd like to hear your thoughts :)

Years
  • I will listen to music to fill the gap if it's not too distracting, but not just for that reason. Sometimes I'll use it as a kind of motivator, putting on some upbeat music when I want to feel active, or I need to be active and I don't want to be. :| Mostly though I play music to accompany what I'm doing. If I'm not doing anything in particular, like say, posting on a forum, I'll just play whatever so I don't have to hear the people next door or whatever other sounds might be around that don't fit my mood/activities.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Music, for me, is one of the things I escape with from this thing called boredom. There are some songs out there that make me want to get up and dance to the beat. Others make me want to scream out loud to the lyrics. Music is a good motivator that keeps you going throughout the day.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • Music just makes me feel good, and it doesn't just have to be up-beat fun music. If I'm in a bad mood, somber music can pull me out of it. I just love listening to new styles and sounds, and the internet has made it so easy for me to discover new types and genres that I otherwise would never be exposed it. If I had to give up every other form of entrainment except for one, I would definitely keep music. I could live without internet, TV, movies, book, but not music.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I listen to music because I listen to music. Because music is music, and nothing can beat music. When I'm feeling despondent, or when I want to switch on my energetic side, music accompanies me. Music keeps me running; it's fuel. Music gives me inspiration. It tells me what to do. When I'm angry and feel like screaming, music lets me. Even when I just want to fall asleep. The music I listen to can depend on my mood, but it's the same adrenaline rush.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I listen to songs so I can hear something that associates with what mood I'm in, how I'm feeling, my current situation and just to drown out the world.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I generally like songs I can in some way associate with a TV show I watch. If this makes sense, I sort of live my life through TV shows and other forms of storytelling, so in a way listening to songs I can relate to them is like listening to songs I can relate to me.

dannichols

A Theodore Tugboat Fan
    Years
  • Because I like to listen to music that gets me motivated. Even those many others hate, but not all of them. But, I do like to listen to some classic music.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • There's probably a list of various reasons as to why I listen to music. Essentially, music has been my escape outside of reality. I can do with it what I wish whether it be to mope in my sorrows or to break out on the dance floor. My vocabulary in music is vast in that I listen to a variety of genres. There's never a limit to what I listen to or why. Sometimes it may be for the motivation and inspiration while at other times I just want that background noise I can get up and sing along with or get up and dance to.

What I listen to can also depend on my mood or even the time of day and the weather. If I'm feeling nostalgic about something, I'll play music that I used to remember playing at that moment of reminiscent. For instance, I remember when the Black and White forum was made public here, and I actively posted there. My background music to that was Miley Cyrus' "Can't Be Tamed" album. So, every time I'm in the mood or every time I listen to some of the tracks off of that album, I remember that certain time I shared in the Black and White forum.

I consider music to be a large part of my life, so it's always being played throughout my day, even now. But it's like I said, there's really no set list of reasons as to why I listen to it. Sometimes I just do because I just do; simple as that.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Music is my escape from reality and something I can turn to when I'm not myself.
    Plus, it covers up the noise my brother and sister make. :3

Years
  • Well for me music can sometimes be a way to escape to the past and bring back some nostalgia.
    But most of the time i listen to it while i'm falling asleep to drown out the little voices in my head that keep drowning on and on with random crap that's worrying me and what's happened during the day ¬.¬

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • It helps me escape, relax, and remember the past (since I mostly listen to 80's music). I also listen to music to lift my mood when I need it.

Music really does a variety of things for me, and I've always enjoyed listening to it in bed as I fall asleep.

Years
  • I listen to music for a variety of reasons. It helps motivate me, yet it also distracts me and affects my mood. I also listen to it because it pleases my ears, so to speak. I guess it just affects my brain in a way that I can't really put into words and it's an essential part of my life.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    Music just makes everything better for me. I love listening to the emotion all different artists put into their songs. I honestly have no idea what I'd do without music.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    Finding a band or an artistis that speaks to you is like finding a new best friend for me. I go to music when i'm sad, happy, bored, tired, anything really :) and music is always there for any occassion.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Yeah, I pretty much just listen to it in the background when I'm bored/playing games.

Back