• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Could it possibly be real?

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Are there any Myths or Legends you think might be real? For example the Loch Nest Monster and Big Foot?

Where do you think these legends derive from and how easy is it to come up with one?

This isn't a voting poll, please state your belief or disbelief in any, why and proof :D Let's discuss their existence. Articles will be good too.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I believe many mythical creatures can exist, but not as powerful monsters, but as an undiscovered species.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
Things like the Oarfish, Komodo Dragon, Giant Squid, and even animals like the Kangaroo, Mountain Gorilla, and more all used to be considered mythical creatures.

So, I don't think it's impossible for "mythical" creatures to exist, although it's becoming much less likely as we explore more and more. I wouldn't be surprised of the Loch Ness Monster was actually an animal in the deep Atlantic, we've explored less than 1% of the ocean floor and various depths of waters.

And Loch Ness does connect to the ocean..so..I mean..I don't know. It'd be cool but I'm not saying they're real.

Years
Every single myth or legend has a root or a basis in fact. For centuries, Sailors told stories of giant squid large enough to attack ships. Fast forward to 2006, and what do we find off the coat of Japan? 50 foot long Giant Squid species, Architeuthis.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Good point. What could these legends have been based on? Some say Nessy was a dinosaur. Nessy is like the only one I know stuff about xD

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
It depends. Cryptozoology draws from a lot of different sources, but it's also the least credible of studies out there. It's more anthropology than an actual science, so I don't think scientifically justifying it is necessary.

If you're interested, you can always check out this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Cryptozoology
It was recently expanded--joy!

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
I personally believe that every "mythical creature" that I've heard of is actually not a mythical creature, but it's an undiscovered species. Some of these would be the Loch Ness Monster and Ogopogo, which would be some type of large freshwater serpent, serpent-like fish, or, in the case of the Loch Ness monster, possibly an amphibious creature due to some of the proposed images of it.

Another example is bigfoot: this could be some type of ape, primate, or monkey-like creature, though more closely related to humans than known, similar animals.

And how about El Chupacabra? Quite simply, it's probably some sort of undiscovered carnivorous mammal that preys on livestock.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
I don't believe in a lot of myths, but they're usually based on something that already exists.
Spoiler:

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Spoiler:

You never know, many thought-to-be extinct species turn out to be alive.

Also, what do you peoples think of the giant centipede/millipede?(forgot which one) It's supposed to be an extinct species but some people say there's an island where they still exist. True or false? Opinions?

Myles

Seriously?
Years
There's actually a few reasons to be skeptical of things like Big Foot and the Loch Ness Monster. Both come in only a small area and people have been trying to prove their existence for a long time. You'd think we'd have something credible by now.

Things like the Oarfish, Komodo Dragon, Giant Squid, and even animals like the Kangaroo, Mountain Gorilla, and more all used to be considered mythical creatures.

So, I don't think it's impossible for "mythical" creatures to exist, although it's becoming much less likely as we explore more and more. I wouldn't be surprised of the Loch Ness Monster was actually an animal in the deep Atlantic, we've explored less than 1% of the ocean floor and various depths of waters.

The existence of the giant squid and mountain gorilla were once in doubt, but no the others. I don't see this as a big deal though. Just because something was doubted doesn't mean it's not true. If we accepted everything at face value before getting proof... we'd be believing in Big Foot. :P

Loch Ness (the place) is freshwater. I doubt Nessie could live in both freshwater and saltwater. So I don't think they'd freely be able to go from the lake to the ocean without problems.

OminousMix

"Show me whatcha got."
Years
I believe lots of these Mythological creatures to be real, just undiscovered.
Aliens were once a myth or just never thought of i guess....
But lot's of events occured pointing to their existence.
I consider Mythological creatures to be hybrids of different species...[Extinct or still living] that were just a type of animal evolution.

Years
It depends. Cryptozoology draws from a lot of different sources, but it's also the least credible of studies out there.
Second least credible. Don't forget astrology.

Aaaanyway, I can't say I believe in the Loch Ness Monster and creatures of that ilk, however I do find there must be some truth in what these myths say, especially when two completely different cultures who probably never met describe essentially the same thing in some myths/legends.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Like many people, I think that mythical creatures are just undiscovered creatures. We've found some rather bizarre animals like the duck-billed platypus and the koala, so I wouldn't be surprised if we found out that dragons or unicorns exist.

Zet

Years
Like many people, I think that mythical creatures are just undiscovered creatures. We've found some rather bizarre animals like the duck-billed platypus and the koala, so I wouldn't be surprised if we found out that dragons or unicorns exist.
You forgot the drop bear.

Myles

Seriously?
Years
Unicorns wouldn't be extremely implausible. Although that we haven't found them yet is enough for me to believe there aren't any. Dragons though? Flying is ridiculous aerodynamically. There are come sea creatures that can shoot extremely hot (thousands of degrees) bubbles, but I highly doubt that. Also, the same as with unicorns, we haven't discovered them yet.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
I don't believe in a lot of myths, but they're usually based on something that already exists.
Spoiler:

You never know, many thought-to-be extinct species turn out to be alive.

Also, what do you peoples think of the giant centipede/millipede?(forgot which one) It's supposed to be an extinct species but some people say there's an island where they still exist. True or false? Opinions?

Guys, the zorse (yee-aww, it's called a zorse) isn't extinct, but a chimera. If you wanted to, you could go to your backyard and create one right now--provided you had a zebra and a horse of opposite genders, in good health, and prime mating condition. However, the reason why zorses are so rare is that (1) chimeras are pretty inefficient to make--you've got one wild species and one domesticated species, and what comes out is something with neither of the qualities you want, and (2) chimeras can't breed.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen yesterday
Ogopogo is the only real plesiosaur known to date.
I thought Ogopogo was created by the Okanagan to keep their kids from going into the lake?

Unicorns wouldn't be extremely implausible. Although that we haven't found them yet is enough for me to believe there aren't any.
As far as I know, Rhinos and Narwhals were the basis for the Unicorn myth.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
I've always been a big fan of Dragons and I really like the idea of a Griffin. Though I know they are just made up myths, I'd love it if they were real.

Though, if there can be such thing as a Platypus, then I'd love to see a real life Griffin.

Back