• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weird evolutions.

infersaime

Come and get me
Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen yesterday
    Do you think there are some weird evolutions I think that.
    So which do you think that is a weird evolution.

A weird evolution in my opinion is magikarp to gyarados.
    It is a little fish which evolve in a monster it's just not possible.

Hawk.

The Hawist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • PA
    • Seen May 19, 2016
    Weirdest evolution in my opinion is Surskit to Masquerain, I just find it hard to believe some water Spider thing evolves into that moth-like bug. I never liked Masquerain anyway.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
    Years
  • A weird evolution is Shelmet to Accelgor, and Karrablast to Excaliblest (or whatever its called). They surprised me when I played through my Black Version: I wanted an Accelgor so I caught a Karrablast.

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
  • I find a wierd evolution that trapnich which is a ground type all of a sudden evolves to a bug dragon type which is flygon which I don't really get.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • I don't believe in weird evolutions, I only believe that people have weird ideas of what Pokemon evolution means.

P.S.
    A legend about a karp going over a waterfall and becoming a dragon.
    I don't know about that one.
    The Karrablast gets Shelmet's armor.
    It's an Antlion.

Last edited:

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I think the weirdest evolution is Remoraid - Octillery. As for the above mentioned ones:

I find a wierd evolution that trapnich which is a ground type all of a sudden evolves to a bug dragon type which is flygon which I don't really get.
    This one is actually pretty accurate, Vibrava is an antlion, which looks like a smaller version of a dragonfly combined with an ant. Trapinch is an antlion larva - which would make sense as well since he is the stage before Vibrava - and actually looks a lot like the animal in real life. Antlion larva don't have wings yet and are nothing like full grown antlions at all. As for Vibrava evolving into Flygon - like I said, full grown antlions look like dragonflies, which is what Flygon is based upon, so this evolution line makes a lot of sense actually.

Years
  • Do you think there are some weird evolutions I think that.
    So which do you think that is a weird evolution.

A weird evolution in my opinion is magikarp to gyarados.
    It is a little fish which evolve in a monster it's just not possible.

Please, please use correct sentence structure and grammar. It took me a few times reading this to figure out where your sentences end.

a Feebas into a milotic, I really do not see the resembelence.

:t354:TG

I'm pretty sure this one is supposed to be a counterpart to the Magikarp-Gyarados line.

Simipour

Geyser Pokemon
    Years
  • The weirdest evolution aesthetically would be Remoraid to Octillery, but it makes sense considering Revolver -> Artillery. Clamperl is also somewhat odd, an oyster evolving into two different varieties of eels.

As people said, Magikarp is based on the legend of a karp that is capable of leaping a waterfall will become a dragon; Milotic is its counterpart, and is sort of based on The Ugly Duckling fairytale, if you would.

Trapinch -> Flygon, of course is an antlion.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Grimer to Muk

I always thought Exeggcute to Exeggutor was weird. Palm trees have nothing to do with eggs, only the multiple faces thing remained.

Dragonair to Dragonite was an obvious one, I kind of wish they had at some point introduced a split evolution where they had one that kept the design of Dragonair semi-intact for an evolution, lol.

There are a few others but those are some I can think of off of the top of my head. :3

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • At first, I thought Remoraid and Octillery were separate Pokemon with no evolutionary relatives; I was freaked out to learn that a fish can evolve into an octopus. I was also weirded out by Trapinch's evolution into Vibrava until I learned about their antlion origins.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    Servine to Serperior- where'd it's legs go?
    Same goes for Graveler to Golem.

Last edited:

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Oh, you mean Samurott.

I think a weird evolution to me might be Karrablast/Escavalier and Shelmet/Accelgor. I mean, one takes armor off the other.
    I kind of like that though, when you trade them, they switch armours. That was a nice idea, if only the Pokémon were as nice as well.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • Servine to Servine- where'd it's legs go?
    That's why I like the snivy family so much.
    It was a unique Pokemon because it was a snake that had legs (which confuses me, doesn't that make it a lizard?) then the one thing it has going for it it loses.

Last edited:
    Years
  • That's why I like the snivy family so much.
    It was a unique because it was a snake that had legs (which confuses me, doesn't that make it a lizard?) then the one thing it has going for it it loses.

If you look at Snivy, Servine and Serperior's Bulbapedia pages it tells you what creatures they are exactly based on.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    /thread

This is really all you have to say to every post in this thread.

No one's claiming they're not explainable, just that they're strange, even for Pokemon evolutions. Not sure how Surskit > Masquerain is explained in the origins either. Water striders don't become moths afaik. Remoraid and Octillery are also only connected by the resemblance to firearms; the actual evolution doesn't make sense. The evolution from Dragonair to Dragonite, although they're both based on dragons, still is weird aesthetically.

No need to be rude, as all of these aren't explained in a way that makes the evolution less weird, if they make sense at all.

Back