• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: User's own posts

droomph

weeb
Years
  • I was thinking...

Could the user have full controls over his/her own threads? Well everything except change/delete other's posts of course.

I'm just thinking, because sometimes I'll want something to be changed (like the title) but I need to contact a mod which is kinda slow for me, especially if it's just a small mistake/misunderstanding I find right after posting a new thread.

Thanks for listening! *mrow*

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't see a problem with allowing members to change thread titles, except that I have seen a few people that may use that in an immature way. But if there was a built-in setting to do something like 'Allow/Disallow member editing', in case of someone for example being immature and consistently changing the name of a thread that other people still enjoy so it can't just be locked or something.

But yeah in general I don't see why the OP can't change their own titles. I'm not sure what else you mean by "full control" though. These are all the moderator options for a thread:

User's own posts

I'm not sure I'm into the idea of OPs being able to lock/delete/unapprove their own threads, because even in my rather short time here I've seen a few people that would have done that out of immaturity just because they were the OP despite other people wanting the thread to be open.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Changing the title would be nice, but that's really all we would need.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • it's just a small mistake/misunderstanding I find right after posting a new thread.
    As far as I know, you can change the title yourself as a member within 5 minutes of posting a thread.

edit: just tried it. It worked for me. So that said, I don't see why further thread modification abilities would be needed.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    234,719 threads. Now imagine what changing the title to a mass amount of those threads frequently could do to a server. When a title get's changed, so does the record of the location of a person's post. As well as the fact people could abuse the right to change the title of their thread if it became quite active an popular.

That's my assumption.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Doesn't take long to ask a moderator to change a thread title, it's what they're there for.

Years
  • I agree with Abegnation.
    I feel that this is covered by a Moderators responsibility and, as Gav pointed out, having threads changed with no repercussions could be highly annoying, just as an example.​

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    234,719 threads. Now imagine what changing the title to a mass amount of those threads frequently could do to a server. When a title get's changed, so does the record of the location of a person's post. As well as the fact people could abuse the right to change the title of their thread if it became quite active an popular.

That's my assumption.

The server links to a thread #, not a title. So changing the title has no effect on the server.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    The server links to a thread #, not a title. So changing the title has no effect on the server.
    It does. But similarly, posts link to posts numbers, yet when you change a username all posts made by that user must update. So in this case, for example, when you check your last 20 pages of posts, if one of them is in a thread with a changed title, that title will need to be updated in your latest posts. If that makes sense.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    How about just having the option in the Game Dev/Rom Hacking forums to change the title? Because quite often people want to change their thread's title, when a new alpha/beta is released, or maybe when the name of the hack is changed? Just a suggestion, I see thread titles changed often there.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    How about just having the option in the Game Dev/Rom Hacking forums to change the title? Because quite often people want to change their thread's title, when a new alpha/beta is released, or maybe when the name of the hack is changed? Just a suggestion, I see thread titles changed often there.
    I know what you mean, but as a moderator of one of those sections I would really rather know what's going on in my section, I'd rather change the thread titles for the members. Just a personal thing, because as a moderator I like to keep up to date with releases, changes and other goings-on in my section. I also want to be able to approve the titles, I'd also find it annoying if people started taking out prefixes. I prefer the section to keep prefixes. So to be honest, it could cause a lot more hassle than it's worth.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • I kinda like the idea of the thread maker to be able to (and only) change the name of their thread, and, just using myself as an example, I have give away days, as many other traders, but it is only noted in my thread, I would like it if I was able to change my title from the original to some thing give away related, cause the new people in my opinion don't want to read through a huge threads like mine and others in there, as for mods liking to know whats going on, let a thread maker send their titles to be approved my the mod of that section before they are allowed to change the titles.

Just my suggestions!

~RNC~

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I kinda like the idea of the thread maker to be able to (and only) change the name of their thread, and, just using myself as an example, I have give away days, as many other traders, but it is only noted in my thread, I would like it if I was able to change my title from the original to some thing give away related, cause the new people in my opinion don't want to read through a huge threads like mine and others in there, as for mods liking to know whats going on, let a thread maker send their titles to be approved my the mod of that section before they are allowed to change the titles.

Just my suggestions!

~RNC~

It's perfectly easy for us to change your thread title for you... if you have to run it by us, then why not just ask us?

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • It's perfectly easy for us to change your thread title for you... if you have to run it by us, then why not just ask us?

Cause I had in mind, say I want like 3 different titles, not really, but say I want the title "Open: Sunday Shiny GiveAway" and the title I have now, why should I need to contact a mod. if they were approved and I could do it myself!!
    If I ask a mod to do it, maybe it wouldn't be changed by MY Sunday!!

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    How about instead of mods needing to approve them, they just get a notification. Like: "chrunch has changed the name of his thread ___ to ___"

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    If people did that very often, it would flood our notification boxes XD

But like I said, only in the ROM Hacking and Game Dev sections, so hopefully it wouldn't be too much. :P

Back