• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Movie Dealbreakers

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    What makes you stop watching a movie instantly?

For me, it's when children die on screen. I just can't bear to watch it, no matter how brief the scene may be. I think the one exception to this is Schindler's List, because... I don't know why, actually. Even though I'm bawling my eyes out when I see the body of girl in the red coat being carted off without mercy towards the fires, I don't want to stop watching the film. Regardless, the entire time I am whispering to the film 'Why did she have to die she didn't need to die I hate you Steven Spielberg she was just a poor kid please no".

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • For me, it's when the children don't die on screen...

Chris, don't see The Hunger Games.

With the exception of Titanic, I refuse to watch any movie set at sea or on a ship. I find movies like that to be boring and too much of an ordeal to watch. Also I refuse to watch anything about a natural disaster - I find those boring and laborious to watch also lol

Years
  • I stop watching a certain movie if it depicts a natural disaster, a character dying or if it depicts a lot of water.

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • I can't handle movies based on popular teen books - with the exception of early Harry Potter. That stuff was delightfully light. I'm looking at you, Hunger Games. :(

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    If it has Adam Sandler in it. lol.

Seriously, he plays the same characters over and over again and it's so frustratingly annoying to deal with the stupidity he has in his characters. He's a brilliant comedian when he isn't doing dumb stuff, and he's a nice actor, but in movies Hollywood just has this label for him "the dumb male lead", and that really frustrates me when I turn on a movie and see him as the dumb male lead.

Years
  • I can usually sit through a bad movie, even a terrifically bad movie with awful acting, no plot, and horrible production values. The only thing that gets to me is gore. I can't handle that. Blood, violence, okay sure, but when you start to see organs and body parts being cut up and all that stuff I get sick and I can't watch.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I can't sit through romance, gore, sex, swearing, most action...most movies, in this case!! lol Romance and sex makes me sad and feel lonely, or just uncomfortable. Gore and horror movies are a big bother to me. I'm paranoid about mice coming into my house, I don't need to be paranoid about killers. Excessive swearing is a big problem too. Okay, awesome, you dropped 5 f bombs in one sentence. That a record for you? We get it. I hate when it's used as if it's supposed to be funny. The excessive swearing isn't funny, and to me, it's a personal message from the writer that says "I'm uncreative." Project X is a victim of this. It's oversexualtion and excessive swearing at its best...or worst, along with terrible writing.

Action flicks don't particularly thrill me either. I'm not easily impressed and I rarely ever gush over something being overly amazing, and action, to me, is all about making a big impression with little focus on other things. But, that's just from what I've seen. Since I apparently dislike most genres of movies, I obviously don't see them much to judge them all.

I'm also not fond of sequels, especially animated sequels. That's great the movie did well! But we don't need a rehash of it. There are some rare gems though. I think Shrek 2 was better than the original. But most sequels rehash the original movie in attempt to be as funny as the first, and it might succeed, but not with me. But my opinion doesn't matter to them anyway, lol.

Or anything with Nicholas Cage.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Romantic drama. I hate those movies. I can't sit through a movie that's all dramatic and romantic at once without a slight bit of real comedy. I get so BORED. Why do I want to sit there and cry like some people in the movie theater?

Like Syd, I find animated sequels to suck. Hard. Shrek 2 sucked. Shrek 3 sucked. Puss in Boots' spin sucked. Up 2 would suck. Cars 2 sucked. Animated sequels SUCK.

Bad story lines make me hate a movie, too.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Oh, that being said about bad stories, I can tolerate a bad story if it's at least funny. But one thing I can't tolerate are things not making sense. Like the parents in Bad Check. The kid's bike gets run over, and the dad only cares about the bike, not the kid. And he's asking his 7 year old to get a job like his teenage brothers. Does he not realize there's a big different between 7 and an age like 14? And this wasn't some 1800's everyone needs a job thing, this movie was made in and clearly took place in the 90's. And the family was at least middle class, so what's a few bucks for the kid? I mean damn.

And then the dad in Project X...he was mad, but he was A LOT more calm that his kid burnt down the entire house than I, or any parent I know, would ever be. And he practically congratulated the kid for it! What the hell?

Okay, so maybe it's just nonsensical parents I dislike, haha.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Cheeky and overemotional romance scenes tend to kill it for me if it drags on for too long. That and as soon as I see a guy's bare ass in a show or movie I instantly leave to drench my eyes in bleach for the night.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • If it has Adam Sandler in it. lol.

Seriously, he plays the same characters over and over again and it's so frustratingly annoying to deal with the stupidity he has in his characters. He's a brilliant comedian when he isn't doing dumb stuff, and he's a nice actor, but in movies Hollywood just has this label for him "the dumb male lead", and that really frustrates me when I turn on a movie and see him as the dumb male lead.
    Adam Sandler does seem to play the same role over and over again come to think of it. I really liked him in "Grown Ups" though. His character was more mature in that movie compared to his other movies like "Mr. Deeds" and so on. He is a great comedian though and a nice actor, I agree. Plus, he generally seems like a nice person outside of Hollywood too.

I'm also not fond of sequels, especially animated sequels. That's great the movie did well! But we don't need a rehash of it. There are some rare gems though. I think Shrek 2 was better than the original. But most sequels rehash the original movie in attempt to be as funny as the first, and it might succeed, but not with me. But my opinion doesn't matter to them anyway, lol.
    How could you forget to mention the Toy Story trilogy? I loved the original and I loved the sequels that followed it.

Generally, when I start a movie, I watch it all the way through. I'm not picky about what actor is in it or what type of genre it is. If I like the premise or the story of the movie, then I'm going to watch it. I'm into everything though (Action, Comedy, Dramedy, Romantic Comedy, Animated films, Sci-Fi, Horror, Paranormal/Supernatural Fantasy, etc.) so there isn't much that prevents me from sitting down, watching a movie, and fully enjoying it. Especially because when I go to watch a movie, it's not to criticize it, but to just enjoy it.

One thing that really turns me off from a movie though is excessive cursing. I personally can't stand it, especially if a writer is overdoing it just to make a scene funny when comedy derives from much more than what someone says. My only exception to this would be if the use of profanity is being used for a more realistic take. For example, I wouldn't watch a movie about the lifestyle in the "hood" and not expect there to be some wide use of profanity, because that's just the way it is in real life.

Also, movies with an abusive character who harms women or young children just sets me off. It fires off all alarms in my head and makes me want to kill that person. It doesn't stop me from watching the movie, but it puts me on edge, because I hate to see things like that.

Otherwise, there really isn't much that stops me from watching a movie or anything that would make me want to stop watching it midway through.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I love you both. I totally forgot these. Also throw in Will Ferrell and Jim Carrey and add that to my response :P
    I would normally agree with you, but I've seen Stranger Than Fiction and also Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and they are both really good and those two can actually act in them, and against type.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Most horror movies, for me. If there is too much suspense in a movie, it honestly starts to make me feel sick and it doesn't even do a good job because all I can think is "I want to get out of here" rather than "the suspense is really making me want to know what happens next!" I'm fairly good with psychological horror, but since most films I have the misfortune of seeing rely on cheap thrills and surprises, I've just come to dislike the genre as a whole.

I'm also not a fan of gore or heavy violence but the only thing that will make me want to leave the theatre or makes me turn away until I know it's safe to look back is anything involving eyes. >_< I missed a whole scene of the Avengers yesterday because of that one eye part at that German party or whatever. Ick.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Most horror movies, for me. If there is too much suspense in a movie, it honestly starts to make me feel sick and it doesn't even do a good job because all I can think is "I want to get out of here" rather than "the suspense is really making me want to know what happens next!" I'm fairly good with psychological horror, but since most films I have the misfortune of seeing rely on cheap thrills and surprises, I've just come to dislike the genre as a whole.

I'm also not a fan of gore or heavy violence but the only thing that will make me want to leave the theatre or makes me turn away until I know it's safe to look back is anything involving eyes. >_< I missed a whole scene of the Avengers yesterday because of that one eye part at that German party or whatever. Ick.
    Yeah! I like Twilight Zoneish Hitchcockian kind of horror over the Saw films and its ilk.

That scene might not have played out the way you think it did? You see what he's doing for like a second and you never see the aftermath.

Cherrim

Years

• Yeah! I like Twilight Zoneish Hitchcockian kind of horror over the Saw films and its ilk.

That scene might not have played out the way you think it did? You see what he's doing for like a second and you never see the aftermath.
    Same~

And yeah, I know it was faaairly tame (honestly, I think I saw the worst part and turned around in my seat too late anyway) but still. XD; Took a while for me to not feel queasy after that.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I missed a whole scene of the Avengers yesterday because of that one eye part at that German party or whatever. Ick.

I looked away haha. If I feel like something is about to make me uncomfortable, I will look away.

Cherrim

Years

• I looked away haha. If I feel like something is about to make me uncomfortable, I will look away.
    The absolute worst is when you look away and a few seconds later, look back, only to find that the first time you looked away is just when they were building ~suspense~ and the thing you didn't want to see actually happens when you think it's already safe.

;_;

Sir Codin

Too much love and romance, but only because it reminds me of my lack of a love life. That's about it.

I can handle most other stuff: gore, violence, action, excessive swearing. If you can't handle any of that stuff, then don't bother coming to my house for a movie.

Last edited:
    Back