• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Spoiler] Relations to Older Games

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Ok I searched and really didn't see anything like this nor knew where this would fit so I'll just make this here.

I've been watching Marriland Play his copy of Black 2 and noticed a few tidbits on systems, features, and overall references to older games.

In B2W2, they revived the Secondary Character Follow Tag Battle feature from D/P/Pt. You remember Cheryl? Riley? Well I noticed that Bianca and Hugh can team up with you in certain areas when you first explore them similar to how the Trainer Follow Me feature was in D/P/Pt.

My first thoughts: OMGWTF AWESOME! LOVE THAT FEATURE! FREE HEAL SPAM GRINDING WHOOO!

But yes in Rebirth Mountain you team up with Bianca and travel through the mountain fighting Wild Double Battles with Bianca at your side. She heals your team after every battle.

In Castella Sewers you team with Hugh and do the same thing above. Hugh heals your Pokemon after every battle.

The next thing I noticed, seems more like an Easter Egg, as stated by another member, but a Magma and Aqua grunt are married and living in the house that the Team Rocket guy used to own.

Has anyone else seen ANY Older game relations? (Baring PWT and Trainers involved in it...meaning all Gym Leaders and Champions.)

Years
The final gym leader is a water gym leader like Wallace/Juan in Pokemon Emerald. The Champion is uses Dragon Pokemon like Lance in GSC/HGSS, and they have an Aggron and the region's fossil Pokemon evolution, three of there Pokemon are Dragon, like Steven's team in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. The return to Nacrene/Striaton/Accumula/Nuvema where the trainers are harder is like returning to Kanto in GSC/HGSS. The game is a sequel like GSC/XD/HGSS, but plays like Emerald and Platinum. The game centers around the dragon of a trio like Rayqauza, but has new forms like Giratina. There are also more Pokemon in the Pokedex like Platinum.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
Years
Well Zekrom and Reshirem are both dragons themselves, so that's not really like Gen III.

- I believe the Magikarp man returns as always, can't remember where I fought him though.
- The gift Eevee you receive is "from a man in the region of Kanto" i.e Bill.
- Ridiculous puzzle to access Regirock. (other two require no effort)

Once it gets fully translated I can discover more things. Majority is still in Japanese atm.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
Not sure if this is common knowledge or not, it's not really easily noticeable imo because it's with that 'high high above' view but halfway through the Marine Tube there is Brennen just looking off into the distance. Not sure what he says when you talk to him though.

Years
Some older game relations I see in B2/W2:

- Iris going from Gym Leader to Champion like Wallace did in Emerald
- Final Gym Leader is a Water Gym Leader, similar to R/S/E
- The water cave in Black 2 and the lava cave in White 2 are like a reference to Team Aqua and Team Magma from R/S/E
- The return to Nuvema Town, Accumula Town, Striaton City, Nacrene City, Icirrus City, Twist Mountain, Dragonspiral Tower, Wellspring Cave, Pinwheel Forest, Dreamyard and surrounding areas with strong Trainers is like the return to Kanto in G/S/C/HG/SS
- Hugh and Bianca walking with you and healing your Pokemon after every battle like Cheryl, Mira, Riley, Buck and Marley in D/P/Pt and Lance in HG/SS
- Expanded regional Pokedex, a callback to Platinum
- Iris having a fossil Pokemon and an Aggron on her team, like Steven in R/S
- Move Tutors, which are a callback to all "third version" games such as Emerald and Platinum
- Roxie using a member of the Koffing line, similar to Koga and Janine in their respective Gym battles
- Mareep being an Electric-type at #25 in the regional Pokedex, similar to Pikachu in Kanto
- Sewaddle being available early, like Weedle/Caterpie/Wurmple in their respective games
- Psyduck being available early like in D/P/Pt
- Hugh's personality merging characteristics with most previous rivals

Years
That's pretty cool, I hadn't heard about the Magma/Aqua grunts being married. I like that :D

I don't know of much else, but something some other people might have noticed is that the sound that plays when you press a button (selecting an option and so on), is the same as that in RBY. RBY and GSC used the same button-bleep, then it changed for RSE, and all GBA and DS main Pokemon games used the same sound, though for BW and B2W2 it reverted to the original bleep sound.

I feel like I've gone into far too much detail for something so minor, but whatever. :P

Back