• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Questioning the effectiveness of the newer pokemon?

rocklee666

Leader Of the K.O.D.O
Years
  • Does anyone else just find the newer pokemon to be just a tad weaker than the last generations? I know it must be a bit cliche to say that they have been getting worse and worse over the past 3 years or so but honestly I question their strength and effectiveness. There are a few pokemon in the B/W versions that can without a doubt do work, but then I find others hopeless :/ . your thoughts?

I got the game in NYC during the evenet and was one of the first 20 somewhat people to get it there and was dissapointed with the game. I've only begun to pick the game up again a few days ago and am close to beating it. and honestly, soon as I can get the pokemon from the earlier generations I am replacing my whole team.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    It depends on the Pokémon in question, honestly. Some of them suck from every generation. Then there's Magicarp before Lv.14. While in Unova it can pick up "Bounce" - an excellent move TBH - in the Dream World or through a move tutor (MT is in B2/W2 only), it remains the only Pokémon whose first actual battling move is learned late in its life compared to others...

Excadrill I find is pretty strong; as I am growing it, its numbers I am liking. Emboar sucks once you get to the heavy grinding portion of the game (I don't even take it into the E4, it would become a mop especially against Ghost types). Zoroark is pretty bad-ass, or as least mine is; I already have it up to Lv.65 before all of the others which I had first (this includes the Musketeers, who are now having a training session in AudinoVille). So I think it depends on the Pokémon; there are many in other generations that wouldn't make my final team, either.

Ideally I want a fully generational team. One from every generation on my final team, maybe two Unovans. I have yet to make the decisions on what I'm looking for as I've only begun that search, but swarms are a priority for me right now; I've literally got one box to stick them in as I catch them, and I go for the 50s.

Cyclone

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Like Cyclone said, it could be the Pokemon you're using who are giving you trouble. Some of the new Pokemon, like Liepard, Garbodor and Watchog have average stats and terrible movepools. Other Pokemon, such as Conkeldurr, Darmanitan, Hydreigon and Excadrill, have excellent stats and good movepools.

I'm guessing you went with Snivy as your starter (it's not that good compared to Tepig and Oshawott in battle; IMO, it's more suited for the more experienced players who want more of a challenge)?

Like Cyclone, I used a pure Gen V team in my first playthrough of B/W and I've come to enjoy using the Unova Pokemon.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Agreed on the Snivy point. Honestly I don't think Unova Pokemon were that weak in comparison. As I pointed out in another thread, there's about 12 Unova Pokemon in OU, and a lot more in ubers where you compare the generation one Pokemon to a combination of OU and Ubers, there's... less. I mean it doesn't say everything about their strength, but I think that every generation has strong and weak Pokemon and that Unova's aren't necessarily weak completely. While I do think the Pokemon at the start of the game are pretty weak, the same can be said for the start of most games. However by the end you have this powerful three headed dragon and the generation actually seems stronger than the past ones lmao.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I think it's because you've tried to use the Pokémon you get at the beginning. The only one that's decent is Stoutland, who's reasonably bulky and gets Intimidate. The first really good Pokémon you can get in the game is Blitzle, and after that it only goes uphill, with stuff like Leavanny, Krookodile, Darmanitan, Lilligant and so on. Even Scolipede is pretty damn good in-game. Both fossils are usable.

The thing I complain about is that there are very few good Pokémon with strong Special stats. Reuniclus is exclusive to White, Musharna is too slow, Vanilluxe only learns Ice moves... My in-game team only has physical attackers, which is very bad.

rocklee666

Leader Of the K.O.D.O
    Years
  • Well for me personally, yes I went with Snivy for the fact I wanted a bit of challenge. I'm heading to the elite 4 now and I use Serperior, Swoobat,Druddigon and am leveling up a tynamo. excadrill is deff a good pokemon IMO, so is blitzle and his evo. Maybe its all on personal preference on my part more than likely. But then again I remember back in the hoenn days( the good ol' days) and even the Kanto and Johto days ( the Golden Age) where nearly each pokemon had its own sense of power. Like, magikarp is a weak pokemon yes, but you know after leveling him up and putting some hard work into him that inner dragon in him awakens and is now an uber bad-@ss pokemon.
    I personally dont get that same feel you know :/ Its not the difficulty of the game at all I find it enjoyable with some challenge here and there.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    If I can give you a tip, find someone who can trade you a Zoroark (or Zorua if you want to raise from an Egg, or if you get an event Celebi get the one in Castelia City - the little boy where you first saw a Zorua picture in a building). They learn a lot of Dark moves, so when you get to the Psychic round, a highly leveled one will mop the floor. Since the first E4, I've been able to quickly advance ten levels in one Audino grinding session and am currently sitting at Lv.65. It's an invaluable asset to the team.

Alternatively, you can get Zoroark at Lostlorn Forest and later breed for Zorua if you want to add the baby to the "caught" list. You need an Event Entei, Suicine, or Raikou to access it, and it enters battle resembling the matching legendary that is a type advantage to the one you have out. I believe you still start battle with whichever Pokémon is in the lead position, not the legendary.

Cyclone

Sophia Oyamoto

Clefairy Biggest Fan
    Years
  • I particularly like Volcarona.
    Man, that Pokémon is the devil.

These moves that give three stats a boost... I don't know. They seem wrong somehow.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I chose the Snivy route and I did find my Pokemon to be weak until I got my fossil Pokemon(Archen). Then once I got Haxorus it was pretty much impossible to lose. I think I had a certain problem that most people would have had if their first two Pokemon were Snivy and Munna.

Years
  • I started with Oshawott in my playthrough of Black and I had a pretty easy run I have to say. There were some Pokemon I had difficulty training due to being slow or having a small movepool like Zebstrika, Liepard, Vanilluxe, Musharna, Conkeldurr, Gigalith, Watchog, Swanna etc. and there were others I found easier to train (presumably cos I work in sync with them) like Darmanitan, Hydreigon, Chandelure, Leavanny, Excadrill, Reuniclus, Gothitelle, Sigilyph, Haxorus and Archeops.

As Nica pointed out, there are 12 Unova Pokemon in the OU tier so that proves that they can be pretty strong.

I used a purely 5th Gen Pokemon-based team until I got to the post-game.

But I think I can come to the conclusion that the Unova Pokemon were pretty strong to use.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • My competitive team is mostly made up of gen 5 pokemon and I hold my own and even win some tourneys. You just have to look for the good ones such as axew and roggenrola. Once fully evolved they became a necessity to my team and have actualy wiped out entire parties before so no, I don't think gen 5 pokemon are weaker.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I must be having a different opinion. Based on when I used it, Haxorus did not have an easy time. ATM it's not in my team plans and didn't go with me to the E4 or N's Castle. Further, since I am trying for a fully generational team in the final E4 (one from each generation, possibly two from V to keep that in the focus), I have to do a lot of catching and training before I can challenge again. TBH, I want to complete my challenge of completing the Pokédex in full before I issue a challenge.

Excadrill might be my Ground type if I need one for Alder. That leaves one spot open for each generation.

Cyclone

Back