• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Mom, I know you love me, but this has to stop."

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Parents are known for being overprotective or overbearing at times; they drive us crazy because they love us, we've heard it all before yada yada yada.

Here is a thread to list some of the most cray-cray over-the-top things your parents have done to 'protect' you.

GOGOGO.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
Years
Well I have Kinda the same Prob with my Grand parents.

Cos I'm 18 they expect me to get married soon (lmao crazy huh) so the keep telling me to not marry some one who is related to me.

I ask why is that out of curiosity for what they have to say.

They then say that scientists have found that marrying a close relation and having sex with them can Increase the chance of having a disabled child due to chromosome crossover or some B.S like that.

I start to go off at them for being so cruel.

They tell me that they want the best for me because my Gdad and Gmum are cousins and they have a daughter (My Aunt) who is disabled. They use her as an example.

So yeah I just spend the rest of the day thinking why the hell my Gparents would think of something like that.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I have no complaints about my family. I'm not told to do anything really. If I can't do something it is 99% of the time "we already have plans" not "I don't want you to". I don't get lectured... Mostly because I haven't done anything to displease them. I have their trust. I do stuff with them because I want to. We're a close family.

Years
My parents aren't too overprotective, but the main instance I can recall is my car situation. I got my license at sixteen. Parents didn't want me to have a car, and my first car was when I was 18, and I had to share it with my sister. It isn't really all that extreme I guess, but they thought I'd be like driving around Detroit and stuff all the time, which I don't.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
My mom is much, much better now but she was pretty crazy when I was younger. Here's an incomplete list of some things she would do:

-I wasn't allowed a Myspace ever, no matter what. Once she discovered my sister and I had Myspaces, that were populated with anime pictures and only had real life friends on it, but she freaked out and forced us to get rid of them.
-She forced us to sit down and watch To Catch A Predator every single time it was on because we spent so much time online.
-She put a keylogger on our computer that sent her hourly emails telling her exactly what sites we've been to and what we've typed on the computer.
-She took the router with her to work so we couldn't get on the internet when she wasn't home.
-She didn't allow us to ever be without our phones. I went on a retreat once and part of it was to give up our phones and I was fine with it but she threatened to drive 3-4 hours to pick me up if they wouldn't give me my phone back.

Ayselipera

- Going out to the beach
"Watch out for sharks!"

- Go outside at night
"Watch out for mosquitoes!"

Besides that, no mention of anything/I do whatever.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Just the usual stuff like "Watch out if you are going to hang out with these people, you don't TRULY know what people are like!" if I am going out with a bunch of friends or work collegues.. lol typical mother/ father response.

And my mom wants me to call every day or ever other day even though I live by myself. Though she just wants to know if I am home and alive lol.. which makes sense. It's actually kinda sweet how much my dad misses me too haha, so I don't mind doing this at all :3

I think it's reasonable.. they've never done anything unreasonable.

Though when I lived back at home.. I would really, really really, freaking hate it when my mom would go through my drawers in my room >__> "arranging stuff" my butt. Pfft.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
"You need to go to Target and buy your nephew a Birthday present. Go get ready. Throw your clothes on and put your hair in a ponytail. You don't need makeup. You're not seeing anybody." I get ready by 1:00 PM, which was 15 minutes from when she asked me to get ready. At 1:24PM, mom says let's go. It's 2:09 PM. I'm still at home.
Wind up going to the mall. She knows she cannot walk much. She still wears heels when years ago, the doctor told her to stop wearing heels.
Went to JCPennys looking for remote controlled helicopters, all gone. Went to Gamestop looking for certain video games, all not in stock.

At Target.
"Go see if the car is locked" but if you press the lock button again, the car honks
"Don't step in that"
"Get in, get out. Don't dillydally"
"Go pick something out" so in the store I walk off about 20 feet and then, "You gotta stay close to me"
"You still act like a child"
"Who are you texting?"
Mom you have control issues "You're so funny!"
"Go in there and buy toilet paper" so I go in dollar store
"It's about time you paid for the toilet paper. I've been paying for everything for 20 years." No, and then she tells me something about wiping her [butt] with the toilet paper I paid for
"Lock the door. Act like you have a [freaking] brain."
"Wash your hands"
"Go feed yourself. Don't look at me. You're too skinny."
If you can't keep up with groceries and fetching supplies, you need to give the car keys to someone else, mom. "You and Thomas are terrible drivers. I'm not letting you drive."

Sadly, that was just a few hours with my mother.

Here's my dad during the last week.
"..."

Uh... Dad's in the last 10 years?
"Don't put foil in the microwave" This sound advice has saved my life more times than anything my mom said.

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
Damn, this topic looks pretty sad, I must say.

My mum is ok until she starts implying I feel more than friendship towards my best friend. She was once certain my friend's pregnant, but 9 months passed till then and nope, no baby at all.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Oh lord, my parents.

Just a small list:

-Dad and uncle added on Facebook (which can get annoying)
-Curfew set, which I break everyday
-At one point didn't even allow a Facebook (had one anyway, and now they're okay with it)
-Didn't permit me to join any athletics, cause I might get hurt.

I could go on and on.

Years
My mum wasn't very overly protective of me, mostly because she knows I have common sense and I never did anything that would put me in danger anyway.
She did do one thing though and that was she was/is very judgemental of my friends. Every time I overcame shyness when I was younger and made a friend my mum would constantly ***** about them saying things like "Look at how unruley that {insert name here} is. Don't hang out with him anymore, he's a bad crowd." or "Those {name} and {name}s dad is a horrible person. Don't hang around with them anymore." In the end I just ended up having no friends at all :D

rayan.b

i like cinnamon :)
Years
Well I have Kinda the same Prob with my Grand parents.

Cos I'm 18 they expect me to get married soon (lmao crazy huh) so the keep telling me to not marry some one who is related to me.

I ask why is that out of curiosity for what they have to say.

They then say that scientists have found that marrying a close relation and having sex with them can Increase the chance of having a disabled child due to chromosome crossover or some B.S like that.

I start to go off at them for being so cruel.

They tell me that they want the best for me because my Gdad and Gmum are cousins and they have a daughter (My Aunt) who is disabled. They use her as an example.

So yeah I just spend the rest of the day thinking why the hell my Gparents would think of something like that.

don't worry diablow, my grandfather from my dads side is the brother of my grandmother from my mothers side and the other two are siblings as well and they are all from the same family each grandparents have 10 kids and my mom and dad are really close relatives (as i mentioned ) and they have 7 kids
and ALL of my family are healthy alhamdolellah so theres no need to worry at all

i know, my family is very complicated and they "reproduce" a lot *swet drop*

i have the best parents in the world :)
with that attitude we will always be a family no matter what they do WHATEVER they do

i like cinnamon :)

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
My mum wasn't very overly protective of me, mostly because she knows I have common sense and I never did anything that would put me in danger anyway.
She did do one thing though and that was she was/is very judgemental of my friends. Every time I overcame shyness when I was younger and made a friend my mum would constantly ***** about them saying things like "Look at how unruley that {insert name here} is. Don't hang out with him anymore, he's a bad crowd." or "Those {name} and {name}s dad is a horrible person. Don't hang around with them anymore." In the end I just ended up having no friends at all :D

Literally this. My mum would constantly say how awful my friends are and that they're just immature and pathetic. Even at 16 she still talks like that about them, which makes it impossible for me to have really close friends and have a normal social life. n___n

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
My mom either thinks I'm an idiot or I suffer from late-stage Alzheimer's. She is constantly reminding me of stuff I've known for years ("Don't forget to say thank you", "Don't lose the phone", "Remember to lock the doors", "Now dod you bring your wallet to the store?", and so on) and leaving me annoying little notes all the time.

Also tonight: "There are storms out, so don't forget the power could go out."
No, really? I never knew that the power could go out during a thunderstorm. Thanks, mom, for your expert advice and intelligent insight into how the world works. I never could've figured that one out on my own.

Not to mention she seems to have to constantly check in on me, sticking her head through my door and being condescending to me just because I decide to sleep in (as she was today).

Just leave me to my own devices and go on with your own life, thanks. I swear, if I ever get my own phone, I'm keeping the number secret from her.

BZW Golem

Conspirator~
Years
Wow, I thought my mom was overprotective but looks like she is.. normal, or even better than normal o.0

For most of my life I was the one that "was good with computers" at my house, so no one ever tried taking away the internet/games/things like that from me.
If they tried that would result in everyones problems because I'm the one fixing minor problems all the time xD

I do have to return home at certain hours, but to be honest, after having a moment in my life when I was chased by an unknown man in the forest (I was alone >..>)..
I'm scared of being out late and alone.

Most of the time my mom didn't let me travel far form home and didn't let me stay at some places at night.. but that is all.
Usually I know what is good and safe for me, I don't do stupid things and when I want something I just do all I can to persuade my parents.. and that works in 95% cases.

Kurui

Kageroza's Waifu
Years
I don't really have loving parents, but they were "over-protective" in their own (creepy......horror movie-esque) way, to brainwash me into their cult "Christian" religion where everything they didn't like was "evil", or rather, everything I like is "evil". To protect me from what they thought were demons inside of me. Etc.

They'd burn thousands of dollars worth of video games to keep me from playing them.

They'd lock me in the bedroom for days so that I wouldn't go see my 'evil" friends. (because having sleepovers at houses were grounds for evil occult devil worshiping activities - even if it was just pizza and monopoly that was planned)

In fact pokemon was one of the most evil things in the world to them when I was young and had the games and a few cards. They'd have to burn them and do some sort of ritual to cleanse of the devil. What's so evil about Pokemon, I have no idea. It baffles me too. ._.

Scarily, back when I was young I sort of believed them. Now I know they're just loony bins. :D

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Shining said it was okay to share.

Nan always bangs on the door and yells at me to open it. She invades my privacy often. I start to put on a pad and Nan walks up to the door I say don't open it and she opens it and sees in. She immediately assumes I was masturbating and runs off to tell pop she was right all along. I tell her what it really was but... she won't stop. Not ever. I'm sure she doesn't believe me and in her mind she was always right.

Brb being emotionally scarred.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
Oh my god nica so are the rest of us now

Um to make my post relevant to the thread, my mom is taking care of me in a crisis so she's allowed to be overprotective. At the same time, I think her overprotectiveness in a small part contributed to the path that led to the crisis. Whoops.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
Shining said it was okay to share.

Nan always bangs on the door and yells at me to open it. She invades my privacy often. I start to put on a pad and Nan walks up to the door I say don't open it and she opens it and sees in. She immediately assumes I was masturbating and runs off to tell pop she was right all along. I tell her what it really was but... she won't stop. Not ever. I'm sure she doesn't believe me and in her mind she was always right.

Brb being emotionally scarred.
I'm really sorry, but that was absolutely hilarious. I actually yelped with laughter.

Good lord.

Back