• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Study Groups

Cordelia

Banned
Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Do you find study groups to be beneficial? Or do you find them as more of a hindrance? How are your study habits when you are in or out of a group?

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Quite honestly, I almost never study for an exam. If I do, it's always alone.

I've tried to have study groups in school with friends before. I've even cut class in order to study. Never ever works.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • Never been involved in a study group. Never actually studied, for that matter. I can't imagine that study groups would be too useful, though; everyone learns at different paces so some people would be struggling to catch up while others would be waiting to move on. Maybe a situation like tutoring would be better.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    Never been in one, but considering my friends, we wouldn't get a thing done. Besides, I prefer to be alone (even from people who just are nearby) while I'm studying.

Last edited:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Study groups, are a hard thing to organize and be properly useful at least in my experience. Each time we tried organizing one it either lead to drinking, gaming, or an unexpected party. We never studied together for finals again, me and my friends.

Years
  • I am best when studying on my own or perhaps with one other person. It's nice to mix things up but yeah I really do study most effectively on my own.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
    Years
  • I personally find studying alone to be the best method for me.

The few times I have studied in a group, it's led to plenty of distractions, and, in the end, we never end up studying for anything.

The study habits that work best for me would have to include studying in a very quiet place, preferably in my house when I'm the only one in the house. I like to be able to talk out what I'm studying over and over without having to bother others or embarrass myself for talking to myself, haha. I never, ever, ever (Taylor Swift) leave anything to study for last minute. Cramming for me is a big no-no. I start studying from the first day of receiving the material until the day before the test.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I hate group studying. I never have that many friends in the same classes as me so it's studying with strangers which is awkward and uncomfortable and also I do things at my own pace, not at someone else's.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    When I was in college, I actually found study groups quite useful, or maybe if someone just needed help studying. We actually got down to business most of the time, which I saw many of you have had problems with. If you can get a good discussion going on about a topic, it really can help studying. In some of my political science classes, we'd all just meet in the lobby and have study groups and discussions and it worked REALLY well. We all came out understanding the material that much better.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Honestly? I work best when I study or work alone. I need my concentration and I am fine with quizzing myself. Studying with one other person isn't bad, but groups tend to distract me.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Nope. I work at my best when left alone.

Group studying leads to distractions or helping someone who I simply don't want to help. My purpose in going to school is for myself to exceed, not spend time helping someone else to exceed at my expense. Waste of time.

Years
  • Hindrance. When all those people are together, it's easy to get distracted. I find groups lead to chit-chat with me around. I study best on my own (although tbh I don't like studying at all).

It's good for people who want to do it, it's just not my thing.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • I never study in groups if I when in came to GCSE- British exams you do at 16, I studied alone in my room complete with my studying music.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Study groups are suuuch a hindrance but they're so much fun. I never went to a study group and got anything done. Every time I would take my pencil case and my books and stuff and say "alright we really have to get something done" but every time we'd just end up making fun of teachers or their expectations or something haha.

Years
  • I very rarely had study groups. When I did they were only for my Japanese classes (which I didn't mind studying for in the first place) which I had with friends who were also housemates and always around. So even if we lost focus we could just pick up studying an hour later or whenever because we were all still there. They were always kind of impromptu anyway. They were fairly helpful, but I think that's because of the special circumstances.

Years
  • I've always been better at studying alone than in groups. Not only would I be way too distracted by what other people are saying, I think my retention rate for things (at least until whatever I'm studying for happens, no bets beyond that point) is better if I'm allowed to just sit there and focus at my own pace.

So yeah. Definitely studying alone for me. Whatever few groups I've been in I didn't like. ><

Back