• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Gen VI Team!

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    Hey guys,

I'm a bit behind with my X&Y team as I'm busy being an internet celebrity nowadays, here's the team list I'm building right now!

BTW, I know I need a sixth team member, was thinking Weavile or maybe a Rapid Spinner?

VintageBeef
    Galvantula @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Compound Eyes
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Bug Buzz
    - Thunder
    - Volt Switch
    - Sticky Web

Etho
    Garchomp @ Life Orb
    Ability: Sand Veil
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Outrage/Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

PauseUnPause
    Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
    Ability: Stance Change
    Evs:4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Shadow sneak
    - Swords Dance
    - Sacred Sword
    - Kings shield

Vangelous
    Alakazam @ Alakazite
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Modest Nature
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Energy Ball
    - Shadow Ball

Honeydew
    Gengar @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / HP
    Modest Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Energy Ball
    - Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast

I could really do with some help guys, I really want to properly get back into the community & can't just carry on stuffing my team with nothing but sweepers!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Putting half your EVs into Aegislash's Defense isn't cutting it. You're squandering its overall bulk and you're better off moving those EVs into its HP, when it can take hits comfortably on both ends. Weakness Policy is also better off on the mixed Autotomize set, which is all-out offense. Since Swords Dance + King's Shield is a mix of offense and defense, Leftovers is the superior item.

If you're using Mega Alakazam, take caution. It no longer has Magic Guard to guard against Sanstorm and hail damage and Focus Sash to ensure survival within 2 hits, making it more prone to priority. Magic Guard is still Mega Alakazam's preferred ability prior to Mega Evolving because avoiding passive damage before Mega Evolving is still important.

If I were you, I'd use Sludge Bomb on Gengar to give it a way to hit Fairies harder than Shadow Ball:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Focus Blast
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Trick
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

Edit: half of your team is weak to Dark/Ghost and are prone to being Pursuit trapped. Dark resists including Sylveon, Mawile, and Azumarill are good bets to cover that weakness.

Sylveon:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Moonblast
    -Shadow Ball/Hidden Power (Fire)
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Calm Mind
    -Moonblast
    -Shadow Ball
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 Spe

Mawile:
    -Play Rough
    -Sucker Punch
    -Fire Fang/Substitute/Iron Head
    -Swords Dance/Substitute/Iron Head
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 132 HP/252 Atk/124 Spe
    Item: Mawilite
    Ability: Intimidate

Azumarill:
    -Waterfall/Return
    -Aqua Jet
    -Play Rough
    -Superpower
    EVs: 212 HP/252 Atk/44 Spe
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Huge Power

or
    -Belly Drum
    -Aqua Jet
    -Play Rough
    -Waterfall/Superpower
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
    Item: Mystic Water/Splash Plate/Lum Berry
    Ability: Huge Power

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    You should probably choose between Gengar and Aegislash. You don't really need more than 1 Ghost on your team. Doing that will give you more type variety and lessen your Dark/Ghost weakness. Gengar and Aegislash cover basically the same stuff anyway. Go with Platinum Dude's sets for those two, as well as Alakazam.

You still need a Fairy type anyway since you still have 2 Dark weaknesses and it covers Garchomp's Dragon weakness as well. Sylveon's a good option for that slot, and Platinum Dude yet again covers that nicely. One thing thng to note is that Psyshock is a viable alternative to Hidden Power Fire on the second set. It just depends on what you wanna hit harder: Steel or Poison (or if you can't get an Eevee with HP Fire). Azumarill also works very well. However, I don't think that regular Mawile is a good option. Mega Mawile is great, but you already have your mega slot taken up.

Assuming you take my advice and drop one of your ghosties, you'll need one more Pokemon. I'm not sure what to put in that slot though. I'll get back to you when I think of something, unless someone else comes up with an idea.

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    If you're using Mega Alakazam, take caution. It no longer has Magic Guard to guard against Sanstorm and hail damage and Focus Sash to ensure survival within 2 hits, making it more prone to priority. Magic Guard is still Mega Alakazam's preferred ability prior to Mega Evolving because avoiding passive damage before Mega Evolving is still important.

Cheers PlatinumDude, I definitely want to take Alakazam for my mega, it's been my favourite pokémon from the Blue and I'll give it every opportunity to go Super Saiyan that I can. The only issue with Magic Guard is that I keep losing it during breeding, I'm hoping that Inner Focus to prevent flinching & Mega Alakazam's speed means it shouldn't ever need to take more than one hit.

You're dead right about Gengar though, it definitely needs the Sludge Bomb, guess I'm still not up to scratch with Gen 6, completely forgot about Fairy Types altogether when putting the list together. Shame on me. (T_T). I'm definitely interested in Sylveon though - a friend and I have been trying to find a competitive use for an Eveelution since R/S/E so maybe the time has come!!

You should probably choose between Gengar and Aegislash.
    I know, I know... to be honest I just stuffed him in there to be all modern an' all, which isn't really my style anyway. Think I'll stick to my Gengar w/Sludge Bomb so we can be old & wrinkly together. :D

As for the final place, I was thinking that I could either go with a Rapid Spinner to prevent my sweepers getting stuck down or even slap Dusclops in as a good wall/burner. Either of those sound feasible?

Thanks to both of you!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Duscolps isn't a good idea since you'd then have 2 Ghosts again. A spinner or a different wall would be a good idea. Problem with a spinner though is that there's very few good spinners. Starmie and Excadrill are the best ones, but Starmie gives you another Dark/Ghost weakness (which we just tried to eliminate), and Excadrill really needs to be in a Sandstorm to function properly.

So instead, if you opt for Sylveon over Azumarill, Blastoise functions as a nice bulky spinner:
    -Blastoise w/Leftovers or Lum Berry
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp.Def
    Moves: Scald, Rapid Spin, Toxic, Dragon Tail/Roar
    Ability:not important
    Nature: Bold/Relaxed

Alternatively, you can go with a wall/staller. Continuing on the Water type trend (water is a useful type), you can go with Vaporeon. This is the set I've been using since Black/White on m Vaporeon, and its great:
    -Vaporeon w/Lum Berry
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp.Attack
    Moves: Scald, Toxic, Wish, Protect
    Ability: Water Absorb

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Cheers PlatinumDude, I definitely want to take Alakazam for my mega, it's been my favourite pokémon from the Blue and I'll give it every opportunity to go Super Saiyan that I can. The only issue with Magic Guard is that I keep losing it during breeding, I'm hoping that Inner Focus to prevent flinching & Mega Alakazam's speed means it shouldn't ever need to take more than one hit.

You're dead right about Gengar though, it definitely needs the Sludge Bomb, guess I'm still not up to scratch with Gen 6, completely forgot about Fairy Types altogether when putting the list together. Shame on me. (T_T). I'm definitely interested in Sylveon though - a friend and I have been trying to find a competitive use for an Eveelution since R/S/E so maybe the time has come!!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE]

Inner Focus is useless on Alakazam because it's too fast to be flinched outside of Fake Out (and that's a rare move in the first place). Magic Guard is still superior in every way; you just need to keep breeding till you get the right ability.

Edit: Blastoise is only good in its Mega form, and your Mega slot is taken up by Alakazam. To build on to Dark Azelf's suggestion, Crobat and Mandibuzz are good Defoggers to use (Defog clears the field of all entry hazards):

Crobat:
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Defog
    -Roost
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Black Sludge
    Ability: Infiltrator

Mandibuzz:
    -Foul Play
    -Defog
    -Taunt
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Ability: Overcoat

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    Thanks Platinum, Dark Azelf & No Chance!

Hmm, you're spot on of course about the Alakazam Platinum, I guess I'll just have to stop being lazy and get to work on a new breeding chain. Don't think I can use my 31x5 Alakazam at all without losing the Magic Guard. ( T_T). Heh, it'll work out!

Okay... so a lot to consider!! To be honest I hadn't considered anything but sweepers & a staller originally so my head is spinning a little. I'll have a good think and update my list a bit later. Don't think work would appreciate me sitting staring at my 3DS for a couple of hours pondering. :3

Thanks again for the help!​

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Ya know, I never thought of using Defog in place of Rapid Spin. Why don't people use it more often, since it can't be blocked like Rapid Spin? But there is one little problem with using Defog: in Gen 6, Defog removes entry hazards and such from both sides of the field, and his Galvantula is using Sticky Web, so...

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Mainly because most birds that can use defog are well, bad. The rest, you'd have to figure out what move to replace for Defog. It's a waste of a moveslot for a lot of those.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Mainly because most birds that can use defog are well, bad. The rest, you'd have to figure out what move to replace for Defog. It's a waste of a moveslot for a lot of those.

Ah, ok. Not like it'll be getting a lot of use this gen since it removes the hazards you laid down as well, which isn't good.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    You should probably catch a dark type for ghost weaknesses, say Absol. They're found on Route 8, Or Malamar, also Route 8. Maybe Lucario, route 22 or Korrina at the top of the mastery tower. Gengarite is given by Hex maniac in Laverre city.

Back