• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
  • Just came back from GotG2, such a heartfelt and funny movie. I adored it!I know it just opened, so most of you who wanna see it probably haven't gotten the chance yet. I'm willing to bet that, given the MCU's popularity, some of you are gonna see it. So feel free to discuss your hopes for the movie, or if you've seen it, then your opinion!

Of course, be sure to put any spoilers in the proper tags and what not so people don't get mad at me please, and thank you.

I went into this very, very skeptical. The charm of the first movie could have so easily been lost here, but alas, it wasn't! I thought it was miles ahead of the first one; it not only managed some very impressive development for a few key characters, but also had me either laughing, smiling, or crying throughout. The story they crafted, although nothing particularly special, I thought was very well done for what it was. All the characters, including the supporting ones, had something to offer in terms of story and/or entertainment value. I felt that everything great about the original was improved upon in the sequel, and that is very rare.

Also, uhm, some lady who was very, very high on something, walked up to me, sat next to me and the group I saw the movie with, lifted up my jacket and said she was looking for her friend... under my jacket... so that was fun I guess.

Anyway, I got some spoilers below but otherwise go ahead and discuss!
    Spoiler:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    It wasn't bad by any means, it was definitely a harmless romp but the first one was miles better in my eyes

I mean they overly relied on Baby Groot for comic relief, Drax and Gomorrah felt wildly sidelined compared to the first film and the plot progression just lacked energy. However Kurt Russell was amazing as Ego, Pratt was just as electric as Peter and Bradley Cooper really shined throughout. Yondu was a real treat too in this installment and I just wish we got a little more time to enjoy that

Years
  • I pretty much agree with Hands' assessment, I enjoyed the film, but it wasn't as good or groundbreaking as the first film.

I think we should appreciate this film for the fun it is though, the team is bound to lose all its magic temporarily when they team up with the Avengers.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    GotG Vol. 2 is possibly the most colourful film I've seen since Finding Nemo. Just, really, really refreshing compared to the usual dour palette of all superhero movies. Even compared to the original, actually. Just the contrast in Yondu's appearance in the two films shows a benefit of them being able to do their own thing a little with Guardians being so far removed from the Earth-bound superheroes. Looking forward to Ragnarok likewise benefiting from being able to go a little crazy even if I don't expect it to be as colourful as this (which will be a good thing, it'll be entirely its own thing as well). Marvel going extraterrestrial is a big step forward.
    Spoiler:

I watched the two Guardians back to back and whilst i think the sheer amount of credits may have had something to do with me not leaving the cinema with quite the same sense of joy as with the original, that might just be because of where I'm at in my head right now in general. I'd say they're about equals.
    Spoiler:
    I'm really enjoying this sort of second coming of Kurt Russell in blockbuster films.

Sorry if my post looks a little weird - I've put the spoilers in after writing it and my thoughts jumped in and out of being specific versus not showing anything not already knowable from the trailers.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • Finally saw it and Guardians continues to be one of the only comic book based movies I actually love. Vol. 2 I thought was as good as the original, or better. I'm hoping the Avengers/Guardians crossover isn't really bad.

Years
  • Funnily enough, I haven't seen the first movie, but I went to see Volume 2 last week or so and really enjoyed it! I thought it was pretty funny and glad I could follow the story pretty well without having seen the first one.

Years
  • The first is better, but this was still a good, enjoyable movie. For various reasons I've seen it three times already (not something I normally do) and was worried it wouldn't hold up on such a quick rewatch, but it still held my interest enough for it to be fun.

I'm glad that they brought in a few new characters, even though it seemed to take time away from developing the returning ones. Still, I think that they were able to give each character an arc of sorts (Dax maybe not so much) which is pretty good considering you're dealing with 8 or 9 characters in a 2 hour movie.

The music choices were again amazing.

Years
  • I think I actually preferred it to the first film. It wasn't as fresh or quite as funny, but I thought they did a fantastic job of developing the characters and Kurt Russell was great as Ego. Loved the music choices too (Mr Blue Sky, The Chain, and Father and Son in particular).

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2017
    I enjoyed it, though definitely not as much as the first one. It felt less fresh and knowing - like a trick they could only pull off once.

Back