• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why?

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
Years
  • For one thing, children would interpret it as "shoe" and become very confused while watching the show, wondering why the poor child was named after an article of clothing...

But Japanese names are translated into english ones 99% of the time on the show...a lot of the little kids who watch the show have no appreciation for Japanese names (which are all beautiful if you ask me) and since they lack appreciation, they wouldn't feel as connected to the show because the character lacks some generic american-as-apple-pie name...and besides, it rhymes *shrugs*

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    English VAs also seem to have a problem pronouncing such things, including Pok?mon names. Usually even when an anim? keeps a Japanese name, it?s shorted or otherwise Romanized for the VAs.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Ya still some name's are kept but really they are changed most of the time. I just dont like it when someone is complaing about "Oh i cant belive they changed it from katsunie to misty!" When in fact both the names mean the same thing...man i hate otaku's....

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • Pronounciation problems may be a factor in some cases, but in the two mentioned in this topic I'm not sure they play a factor...

Shuu - prounounced: "Shoe"

Not all that hard, eh?

Kasumi - pronounced "Ka-su-mee"

I doubt that's a tongue-twister either...but if someone was named Rokusaburo or Shinichiro or some more complicated Japanese name, by all means they would have to change it for pronounciation issues...

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Chairman Kaga said:
    Pronounciation problems may be a factor in some cases, but in the two mentioned in this topic I'm not sure they play a factor...

Shuu - prounounced: "Shoe"

Not all that hard, eh?

Kasumi - pronounced "Ka-su-mee"

I doubt that's a tongue-twister either...but if someone was named Rokusaburo or Shinichiro or some more complicated Japanese name, by all means they would have to change it for pronounciation issues...
    For an English VA anything that ends in a noun is hard =D

Back