• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Trail We Blaze

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
  • Unova_Route_8_Map.png

Here's a big map of Unova.
    With labels and things.

So, Unova. The place is pretty straightforward. Basically you journey in a clockwise circle 'round the region and you've got no real choice in the matter. Pretty much every city is connected to a) the city you came from and b) the city you are going to.

Personally, I find that restrictive and a bit boring. As far as I recall, all the other regions had you scampering around the place and going in little circles between maybe three cities before being able to get to a new place. Sometimes you could bypass a city and be on your way without actually getting a badge you should have got. A few even had where you could choose which gym you wanted to do next. They gave you freedom.

So the question I'm posing is thus: Would you re-design routes in Unova? How do you propose to do that? What cities would you connect? Would you just chuck out the Entralink and put in some kind of rest stop in the middle of a big crossroads? What all would you make changes to?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    This is a pretty good question. On the one hand, Unova was designed to be simpler for younger players to "understand," but on the other hand, the linearity does tend to be less appealing to more seasoned players.
    If I had to redesign it, I wouldn't change how the map is now, but add a few more branching routes in some locations. This would keep the linearity and simplicity of the region intact, but also add more options so that as you're going along your journey, you can visit different places before going to your next story-designated destination.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    After regions like Hoenn and Sinnoh, Unova's linearity is something that makes me dislike the game a bit. Like Rivvon said, it's great for beginners, but if you've played the games since the beginning, or even started with the Sinnoh region, then you're not going to be challenged at all. One of the things that made those regions interesting was having to travel to different parts of the map instead of it being in one long line.

I wouldn't redesign any of the locations, but I would move some and make it so that you would have to travel in different directions once you reach a certain point. Once you make it to Nimbasa City, I think that's when the game should become more challenging with where you should be headed to and from. Instead of following the circle around, switch White Forest with Mistralton City, or Driftvale City with Opelucid City. Make it so that you'd have to go back to go to the next location, instead of following the line forward.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I would probably add a lot of different Routes, as you can see there is all the forest and desert space in between cities, so I would probably add a few Routes branching off and maybe block off the main Route with a sleeping Pokemon or something so that you'd have to go the long way around. I would chuck out the Entralink and fill the space in the middle more, maybe move some cities from each side in more or just add minor towns.

I agree with Aerinoctis, the linearity bothered me a lot while playing the games. :/ I was surprised about it, when I first got to Nimbasa (I think) I was excited when I saw that the city split in different directions, but only to realize that one was blocked :/

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
    Years
  • I would make there be something more...significant at Anville Town. It would be interesting if it was a Gym City or something. Or maybe the location of some sort of extention to the Subway (frontier plz?) But that will never happen, not even in BW2.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'd make the circle design of Unova more of a well, circle. Or at least larger cause it's just more like a hexagon kinda right now.

Perhaps I'd move Driftveil more towards where Route 4 is, since it's the desert and all, and there's a lot of sand in Driftveil and that's logical? n_n

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    One thing I'd do is add water Routes. We have exactly one water Route in the game, and it's not even part of the maingame (Route 17); in fact, you do not require Surf at all to reach the end of the game. Therefore, having Routes between the two bridges on each side would be the first thing I would do, and connect the land areas to the entry/exit points of the bridges somehow. Another option is get rid of two bridges completely (Tubeline was a waste of time, and Marvelous has no land element at all) and make them basic water Routes, and connect those Routes to the ones already on either side. The huge area in the middle, I agree, was a complete wasted opportunity that they try to help resolve with the new town and Rebirth Mountain, but the bridges are still there and a huge empty space as well. The new town could have had a Route connection as well, especially via Village Bridge.

That's the main thing, more thoughts as others post.

Cyclone

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • I disliked the linearity of the Unova region, don't get me wrong it had some great locations, deserts, snow, mountains and forests, Unova has it all. The middle of the map is wasted though, IMO. I hardly use White Forest or Entralink and they could have given it it's own island or something, and added a crossroads/city that serves as a capital city. Add in a few route branching off the other route and we suddenly have a non-liner Unova. I didn't really understand why they designed Unova this way.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I disliked the linearity of the Unova region, don't get me wrong it had some great locations, deserts, snow, mountains and forests, Unova has it all. The middle of the map is wasted though, IMO. I hardly use White Forest or Entralink and they could have given it it's own island or something, and added a crossroads/city that serves as a capital city. Add in a few route branching off the other route and we suddenly have a non-liner Unova. I didn't really understand why they designed Unova this way.
    Fully agreed, this could have been where Nimbasa City is and connected to Opelucid City in some way, but with limited access (i.e. create sprites of something on the road ahead and block the way until later). It would have four-way access like the Saffron City of old. Kind of odd, come to think of it, that Castelia has two entries and exits (three in B2/W2 if you count the boat).

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Nimbasa connected to Opelucid? Hmmm nah, I'd actually like it if it was Castelia connected to Opelucid because in the distance @ the route before Opelucid you see water, so you can assume that there's water on the other side, and thus that'd lead to Castelia.

...nah that makes no sense. Maybe extend that route before Opelucid, but that's all I'd do regarding it. :(

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Nimbasa connected to Opelucid? Hmmm nah, I'd actually like it if it was Castelia connected to Opelucid [snip]
    I wish it was Castelia, too. But unfortunately, they put Nimbasa City in the way and didn't want that connected to Castelia, plus Castelia was not designed well for multiple entry and exit points. I kinda wish it became a central point to the story where Nimbasa City is (possibly rearranging the rest of Unova afterwards to be among the multiple connections) instead of just being passed through once.

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I wish it was Castelia, too. But unfortunately, they put Nimbasa City in the way and didn't want that connected to Castelia, plus Castelia was not designed well for multiple entry and exit points. I kinda wish it became a central point to the story where Nimbasa City is (possibly rearranging the rest of Unova afterwards to be among the multiple connections) instead of just being passed through once.

Cyclone

:( Maybe you could've relocated Nimbasa and swapped that for Castelia. ofc it wouldn't match the reality of New York, but it'd still be "close enough", plus you have that random desert in the middle that throws it off.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2020
    I disliked the linearity of the Unova region, don't get me wrong it had some great locations, deserts, snow, mountains and forests, Unova has it all. The middle of the map is wasted though, IMO. I hardly use White Forest or Entralink and they could have given it it's own island or something, and added a crossroads/city that serves as a capital city. Add in a few route branching off the other route and we suddenly have a non-liner Unova. I didn't really understand why they designed Unova this way.

Exactly.

I personally think that Anville Town would have more significance to the game, otherwise it's just a waste of space.

Unova is poorly done to be honest.

Back