• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Attempt at a Balanced Platinum Team (OU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Opening Words
    Making a reliable Platinum team is exceedingly difficult in today's metagame. Unfortunately, this is especially true for me. I've changed this team many times to accomidate the threats in the metagame, but there's always another one waiting just to tear you open. I now present my Attempt at a Balanced Platinum Team:

The Forces

Synergy
    Unlike most teams, this one relies on a few tanks to check off a few threats (namely Skymin, Tyranitar, and Heatran) Stealth Rock is of course essential, which is why I am hoping to always get it up early in the game. After that, it's all about stalling out the opponent to see their teams, followed by a late game, Kingdra sweep (which, might I add, is killing people left and right)

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
    Timid
    36 HP/252 SpA/222 Spe
    Fire Blast
    HP Ice
    Earth Power
    Stealth Rock​

Heatran is a magnificent lead to this team. Its resistances and excellent offensive capabilites make an ideal lead and member of this team. Being able to destroy things like Scizor and Skymin is beneficial. EV's to outspeed the standard, while maintaining some bulk. Unfortunately, suicide leads are prepared for this guy.

Kingdra @ Leftovers
    Jolly
    42 HP/252 Att/216 Spe
    Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Outrage
    Substitute​

Kingdra is an absolute monster this generation. I favor Substitute over Return, simply because Outrage and Waterfall offer greater coverage and allow me to easily hit most of the metagame for neutral. Substitute also lets me protect from status, meaning Cresselia has a harder time taking on Kingdra than things like Salamence and such. Core of the team's sweeping, as well as a nice switch into Heatran's Fire Blast.

Scizor @ Choice Band
    Adamant
    90 HP/252 Att/168 Spe
    Superpower
    Bullet Punch
    U-Turn
    Pursuit​

Scizor is easily the most capable sweeper this generation. Being able to OHKO some Tyranitar's make it an (unreliable) check for DD Tar's if Hariyama is down thanks to Bullet Punch's priority. Superpower and Pursuit hit all but Heracross and Toxicroak for neutral, the former being decimated by Bullet Punch.

Hariyama @ Leftovers
    Impish
    76 HP/140 Att/252 Def/40 SpD
    Force Palm
    Knock Off
    Whirlwind
    Toxic/Thunderpunch​

Hariyama is perhaps the best Tyranitar counter in the game today. Mainly due to Aqua Tail being an option on the green beast. Moveset is made to deal as much damage as possible to my opponent, as well a supporting the team. Force Palm is more reliable since the paralysis support is excellent, since my team is pretty slow bar my scarfers. Toxic vs. Tpunch is either stalling bulky grounds or killing Gyarados.

Togekiss @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
    Calm
    252 HP/152 SpA/106 SpD
    Nasty Plot
    Air Slash
    Aura Sphere
    Roost​

Togekiss is my only "true" answer to Skymin. He doesn't exactly make an ideal one, but he does what he does. And he does it well. Spe EV's switched in SpD to make him tank hits easier. I question if I should simply remove all SpA and move it to SpD to make him tank things better, since his SpA will skyrocket with NP added on.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Bold
    252 HP/252 Def/6 SpD
    Discharge
    Shadow Ball
    Rest
    Sleep Talk​

Rotom-W has to be my favorite addition to Pokemon. He takes hits like a champ, and deliver back with pretty impressive STABs. Makes a wonderful status absorber, though I guess Will O Wisp could be added on, but I don't see where.

Last edited:

Noir Lancer

That One Guy
    Years
  • - Not quite sure why so much speed on Timid Scarftran, all that's really needed is 188 to outspeed Skymin and Dugtrio, the rest should go into some much needed and desired bulk.

- Iv'e never been too fond of +Spd Natured Dragon Dancers quite frankly, but whatever.

- As for CB Scizor, it's not anything like the SD one, it does need speed as it is locked into 1 move. Relative points are:

• 48 EVs for outspeeding Magnezone (always best to use U-Turn upon entry for scouting), basically for revenge killing purposes with Superpower.
    • 168 EVs which puts you ahead of Bold 4 Spd Cresselia and Suicune.
    • 228 EVs which puts you ahead of Adamant Max Spd Tyranitar.
    I'd go with the 2nd choice as you have a reliable Tyranitar counter and can always Bullet Punch it anyway. I'd also strongly consider Night Slash > Pursuit as things like Cresselia and Spiritomb can heal off the damage you do with a 2HKOing U-Turn as you switch out, also for killing Rotoms.

- Close Comabt defeat's Hariyama's purpose, Force Palm paralysis possibility makes it even more attractive of a choice, also you dont really need Thunderpunch as Rotom coutners Gyarados just fine. Earthquake is a possiblity as it allows Hariyama to better take on Electivire and MixApe, which surprisingly it can counter.

Also I'm not sure what's with people here and their obsession with Wash Rotom, especially with that set which doesnt take advantage of Hydro Pump's access, all Rotom forms will do the exact same thing really otherwise since they are all Electric/ Ghost types. You could just pick the one that is the most visually appealing to you.

Really some nitpick suggestions =/

Nice Job though.

Last edited:
    Reactions: .

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Thank you for that excellent rate, it really helps. I'll use the second speed spread for Scizor, and I'll use Force Palm > Close Combat.

Jolly was there mainly for outspeeding other Kingdra, but it really doesn't matter much.

Thanks for the rate =]

Years
  • The first three are rather standard, so no need to worry about them.

Hariyama - It's fine, although if you need a TTar counter, Machamp is damn reliable. Machamp, however is more useful for hitting threats in general. I guess the whirlwind support is pretty nice, though.

Togekiss - It's alright as a Skymin counter, as we discussed. However, it also needs that speed to function as anything else. Otherwise 252 Spd Adamant TTar outspeeds you. If you have to, move some EVs from SAtk and HP to SDef. 228 HP is a max lefties number for Togekiss.

Rotom - Run a form you like or one that would lead others into thinking it is a different set.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I'm using Hariyama mainly to not only counter TTar, but Heatran, and Weavile as well, since they're a problem for my team.

Noir Lancer

That One Guy
    Years
  • From my personal experience Hariyama isnt a good Heatran counter a you are brought on to believe, though if you want to attempt to take it better you could move 40 Atk EVs into S.Def.

Reason being that SR recoil will still help land the 2HKO on Blissey with 140 EVs, and the extra EVs in S.Def help take a Fire Blast slightly better.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    From my personal experience Hariyama isnt a good Heatran counter a you are brought on to believe, though if you want to attempt to take it better you could move 40 Atk EVs into S.Def.

Reason being that SR recoil will still help land the 2HKO on Blissey with 140 EVs, and the extra EVs in S.Def help take a Fire Blast slightly better.

I was thinking on that. Thank you once agan.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    I think Adamant is better suited for Kingdra. Jolly gives you more Spd but Adamant gives you far more power. You could run this EV set 252 Atk/232 Spd/24 HP which lets you have 317 Atk and 264 Spd which is enough to outrun base 130's after a DD.

That's just my opinion.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Might want to check the date on threads before posting in them and/or the rules of PC which state that you cannot post in threads over a month old.

~Locked~

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back