• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Building a Computer: What I need to know?

UltraBlaziken

Cyber Trainer
    Years
    I can easily run all of that and then some on my computer. I think you underestimate computers of today.

A fellow computer enthusiast I chat with.. to put what he said politely, he believes you don't know what you're doing.

I think you seriously underestimate the ressource-hogness of the stupid buggy Vista (it's now almost impossible to get XP) and 1080p HD exporting requirements.

Also, Apple Inc, remember that if you want to use more than 4GB of RAM, you will need a 64-Bit operating system instead of a 32-Bit one. That is very important since 32-Bit operating systems can't use more than 4GB of RAM (sometimes only 3GB!)

Years
    I can easily run all of that and then some on my computer. I think you underestimate computers of today.

A fellow computer enthusiast I chat with.. to put what he said politely, he believes you don't know what you're doing.
    Well... this person we are helping out also wants to video edit at the same time as running some of that stuff. ;) And Firefox's memory leak issues seem to be back in a recent update of 3.5 for me and a few others. Plus, 4 GB of RAM will be outdated within the next couple years based on industry trends. ;)

And... using a quad-core is a very, very good idea if you're going to be performing resource heavy tasks, especially multiple resource hog tasks at teh same time. I've used both dual cores and quad cores in the past six months, and I liked the performance of the quad core much better.

I think you seriously underestimate the ressource-hogness of the stupid buggy Vista (it's now almost impossible to get XP) and 1080p HD exporting requirements.

Also, Apple Inc, remember that if you want to use more than 4GB of RAM, you will need a 64-Bit operating system instead of a 32-Bit one. That is very important since 32-Bit operating systems can't use more than 4GB of RAM (sometimes only 3GB!)
    Vista isn't buggy, a resource hog, or stupid for me... (but that could just be because I know what I'm doing, unlike many people). What you're probably basing the bugginess off of is the issues people had when it first came out, which have long since been fixed.

And that part about the 64-bit vs 32-bit is correct.

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
    Yes, that 32bit and 64bit thing is true. Really, what I'm getting at with my argument is that $1500 is FAR to much to spend on a PC for video editing, let alone all but the most enthusiastic PC enthusiasts. I built my computer that has similar specs to what he wants for under $400.

Yes, 4 gigs will be out dated in the near future, I never said not upgrade. In fact, probably the most important thing for a computer is its ability to upgrade to newer, better hardware. My computer is far from the supercomputer I'd like it to be, but I knew I could upgrade with time, and what I have right now is decent enough as it is already.

I honestly don't know why people are still upset about vista. From my own personal experience, I've had no problem with it at all. Even so, I recommend upgrading to Windows 7 when the time comes, as it is truly a superior OS.

Years
    $400 can build a pretty good machine... but many of the parts could be from product manufacturers that don't have that good of a reputation for durability (this is just playing devil's advocate here... I actually could probably assemble a machine better than my laptop - which is currently my best machine - for $700 including a monitor.

I honestly don't know why people are still upset about vista. From my own personal experience, I've had no problem with it at all. Even so, I recommend upgrading to Windows 7 when the time comes, as it is truly a superior OS.

I don't recommend getting it quite so soon. I'd recommend waiting a few months or so while the bugs get worked out in updates and/or service packs.

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
    Actually, my parts are name brand (ASUS, AMD, Sony, WD, Sapphire) EXCEPT for the power supply, which I went chepo on and will replace if I ever want to overclock.

As for Windows 7, you could, but I haven't had any problems as of yet. Heck, I didn't have to load up any drivers as soon as it started up other then my wireless adapter. But if you want to wait, just to be sure, that's fine. Not a big deal.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years

You cheaped out on the single most important element of your computer?
    you have invalidated any opinion you might have about building a computer :X
    Meh. It may be the most important physically speaking, but as long as you get something with sufficient wattage and doesn't crap out on you, it's not that big of a deal. Though I guess that in the long run, it's still probably a better idea to pay extra for a good quality power supply than end up having your fans spontaneously fail on you.

Years

I have to disagree... since PSU's are cheaper (and easier to replace) than Mobos. If the PSU fails two or three times, someone who builds their own computer is probably going to think, "Okay... it's suddenly shutting down after a certain amount of time, so I should probably not touch it anymore since I could be damaging my system," and won't have to replace their whole system. If the mobo fails, you have to either buy the exact same model, find a motherboard that all your parts transfer to - which can be pretty difficult (not to mention that mobos are more expensive), or buy new parts with a new motherboard, AND if the system isn't nearly/exactly identical, your Windows install (think this might be the same for Linux, but I'm not sure) will not load off your hard drive, since it recognizes that it's in a different system and automatically assumes that it doesn't have all the drivers and it won't boot.

Meh. It may be the most important physically speaking, but as long as you get something with sufficient wattage and doesn't crap out on you, it's not that big of a deal. Though I guess that in the long run, it's still probably a better idea to pay extra for a good quality power supply than end up having your fans spontaneously fail on you.
    I do agree that it'd still be a good idea to go with a brand with a reputation for quality... though I haven't had much issue going with lower reputation brands (been kinda lucky on that part), considering it's a pretty cheap part for how important it is.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2011
    Listen.

Its almost always better to buy a new computer than to build your own.
    For one, you need experience around computers before building your own from scratch. Its more complicated than necessary. Its often more expensive to build your own for the purpose of office work and editing than just buying a new computer.

Building your own computer is all about maximizing your computer's potential- its all about gamers.

You don't need a beastly computer for video editing, just get a decent one at the $600~$800 range and upgrade the videocard and ram.

twocows

Years
    Listen.

For one, you need experience around computers before building your own from scratch. Its more complicated than necessary. Its often more expensive to build your own for the purpose of office work and editing than just buying a new computer.

Building your own computer is all about maximizing your computer's potential- its all about gamers.

You don't need a beastly computer for video editing, just get a decent one at the $600~$800 range and upgrade the videocard and ram.
    You can get a beastly computer at the $600-$800 price range at CyberPower. Their configurators are awesome. :D

Years
    Listen.

Well, this user is clearly ready to build their own computer... plus, it's not as complicated as you say it is. And... you're probably not looking in the right places for parts, because labor fees and the OS are most of the markup for pre-assembled machines.

That statement isn't true... building your own computer allows you to customize it to what you need... and control what parts go into it.

Thing is, for that price, you can get a near-beastly computer for $600-800 building your own.

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years

Wow, you suck at building computers, don't you?

Anyway, I do intend to replace my PSU in the near future. My situation when I built this was I had recently graduated from High School and people were throwing money at me. I ALMOST had $400. Almost. I think I was somewhere in the $380 and a little left over to get Spore Galactic Adventures. I looked around Newegg, slowly found all the parts I needed in my price range. My PSU is a 500watter, and hasn't failed on me at all. In fact, my entire computer hasn't failed except when I first started it up when it wouldn't boot to Windows. Fresh install later, I'm playing Fallout 3 and other various new to newish games on max.

The PSU is not the most important part. Really, it's the least important part, as it is easily replaceable.

And guys, building a computer always wields the better results. Compare two $400 computers, one you build your own, and one you buy from a name brand. The one you build will have significantly better hardware then what is almost a barebones machine that is near impossible to upgrade and shouldn't be running Windows on such low RAM.

Pros of buying VS. building:
    You don't have to build it your self
    Better then buying a similarly priced Mac (if that's even possible) or Laptop

Cons:
    Generally hard to upgrade
    You don't know what hardware is in there
    To expensive
    Generally filled with bloatware

However, I know of some people in my local area that build computers for you. While cheaper then buying it from a name brand and has what you want in it, it's still more expensive then building one your self. Hey, they've got to make money too!

Last edited:

twocows

Years
    Generally hard to upgrade
    Lolwut
    You don't know what hardware is in there
    Lolwut
    Too* expensive
    CyberPower isn't that expensive, though it is more expensive than building your own (provided you don't screw up)
    Generally filled with bloatware
    CyberPower makes any bloatware optional, and even makes the OS optional, which is very nice for people who don't like Windows pre-installed (either because they like to tweak or because they don't like Windows).

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
    I said name brands, like Dell, Gateway (do they even exist anymore?), Apple, and other various name brands. As for those people, from what I can gather, they're closer to my friend (making what you order) rather then Dell (you get what they give you). And we all make spelilinge mistaks somtims.;)

And as for hard to upgrade, from my own personal experience, getting a DVD drive in my old Dell was a pain.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2010
    Hi Apple Inc.,

Well dear,That's a pretty old machine.For motherboard manufacturers, I'd recommend AMD or ASUS I don't know any Intel friendly brands offhand, since I am around fewer Intel utilizing computers because most of my parts are second hand from my dad, who is more of an AMD fan.If your in the market for a hard drive, trustworthy manufacturers include Seagate and Western Digital. Everyone else is hit or miss in terms of durability.And for graphics cards, ATI, and nVidia come to mind for quality.Well, Try to search from search engines regarding good configuration.

Thanks

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
    I wouldn't really call that trolling, more of you must not know how to build computers if you think the PSU is the single most important part in a computer. Or at the very least, have a warped view on computers and their insides. If you don't like that, fine, don't post on this thread anymore, as I was getting along just fine with out you. And I'm clearly not the only one who disagrees with you.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Look, I understand you're new here; but you need to understand that I know more than you; and in-fact, I know much more than most of the people who post here. I know the fact that I'm a girl means it's a bitter pill for you to swallow; but once you accept it, you'll get along here much better better.

What you're implying is that you would build a house on wet clay without bothering to invest in proper foundations. And that's with your power sub-system is, the very foundation and basis of your build; which is what makes the PSU the single most important element in your computer; because without quality power nothing can operate and with bad power things can go terribly awry. Cheap and nasty PSU's will exhibit such fun symptoms as v-droop, v-spike and generally poor consistent amperage on the ever important 12v rail. This can lead to anything from poor performance, to instability, to corrupt HDD data; et al. Random reboots, lock-ups, apps crashing ~ all these are things to look forward to under the regime of a poorly performing power supply. And that's not even considering the lifespan it reduces the rest of your components by with it's less-than-consistent "interpretation" of what 12v, 5v and 3.3v should be.

Of course; I wouldn't expect somebody who wanders into a thread and absolutely fails to understands the needs of a build to have any idea about the importance of such things; it's pretty clear that you're pretty new at this *pets*

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    I don't get along with you at all apple.SHAMPOO, apparently. But I agree with you here 100%, as would any amatuer techie. I'd seriously not advise anyone to take advice from someone who believes that the PSU isn't the most vital part of a computer. It's easily the most important part of your computer, despite being too frequently overlooked. If you don't want the whole thing to go up in flames you'll buy a trusted brand, such as Corsair. My current PSU is a Corsair is only 450w, but it's going to cope far better than some cheapo 1kW PSU.

BenRK I suggest you learn some more about the actual workings of the computer, beyond just chucking parts together, any kid can do that. apple.SHAMPOO has already compiled a list of why to get a decent PSU.

Try overclocking on a rubbish PSU for example. :lol:

Last edited:
    Years
    I don't get along with you at all apple.SHAMPOO, apparently. But I agree with you here 100%, as would any amatuer techie. I'd seriously not advise anyone to take advice from someone who believes that the PSU isn't the most vital part of a computer. It's easily the most important part of your computer, despite being too frequently overlooked. If you don't want the whole thing to go up in flames you'll buy a trusted brand, such as Corsair. My current PSU is a Corsair is only 450w, but it's going to cope far better than some cheapo 1kW PSU.

BenRK I suggest you learn some more about the actual workings of the computer, beyond just chucking parts together, any kid can do that. apple.SHAMPOO has already compiled a list of why to get a decent PSU.

Try overclocking on a rubbish PSU for example. :lol:
    I don't doubt that about consistent voltage... but just because a manufacturer isn't a trusted brand, doesn't mean that a particular PSU is low quality - it could be that diamond in the rough. I've yet to have issues with with my CoolerMaster 550W PSU (can't remember the exact model) in the two years I've been using it (despite CoolerMaster having a crappy reputation at the time when I was checking).

And not just any kid can do that... I know plenty of people my age who couldn't tell you that the CD drive is modular (though I do know plenty who do - it's about a 60-40 split between those who can't and those who can).

Overclocking can shorten the life of hardware, which is why I dislike it (I don't want to accidentally fry my motherboard, thank you very much, since I'm always cash-strapped).

And I don't claim to be a hardware expert... after all, I'm more into networking than hardware (Network Administration is my current degree program).

Back