• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Project: Creating a Pokemon League

slls81

What does that even mean?
    Years
    Almost got my gym layout all sorted out for round seven. I think it will turn out pretty good. I'm going to have somewhere between 15 - 25, maybe as much as 30 trainers, so it is going to be a fairly large gym. I'm going to have to figure out how to use those spoiler tab things so that my post won't be outrageously large.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think anything more than 10 trainers is just extravagant and unnecessary. People will just run back and forth to the pokemon centre anyway, and tbh if I saw a Gym with 30 trainers in a hack I'd just stop playing...

That's just my opinion, and I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me... but what can you do? :P

Last edited:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Oh man, my Gym's a steel-type too. A bit varied, but even so there can't be two Steel-types... Look out, Skip!

Now working on Gym layout, need to finish Leader data and do Round 2. I'll enter it in Round 7 or 8.

To above: I have 7 trainers, but it's a big Gym. Not too bad, do you think? You'll likely be playing this too, so input isn't a bad thing.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    Almost got my gym layout all sorted out for round seven. I think it will turn out pretty good. I'm going to have somewhere between 15 - 25, maybe as much as 30 trainers, so it is going to be a fairly large gym. I'm going to have to figure out how to use those spoiler tab things so that my post won't be outrageously large.

I think that 30 trainers is a little bit too much. Even the toughest gyms in the regular games have like 15 max. Since this hack is designed to be harder than most gyms, however, I think that you can go above that. Probably no more than 17 or 18 trainers for the 7th gym though. Just my two cents.

Also, for spoiler tags... The blue abc button in your message thing when you post a reply creates the tags, you just put the stuff in between the tags, and it works.

I have 10 trainers for this gym, and I think its good. I also put my layout for my gym map in the post, so feel free to have a look at it.

HallwayKid

The Illogical Scientist
    Years
    I have now chosen to go with 16 trainers for my gym. I agree now that 30 is way too much. I have also decided that my gym would be much better suited as an eighth gym. So I might not get around to posting a gym for round 7.

Syrynn

Writer of Tales
    Years
    I'm going to take the time to comment on the three best gyms I've seen this round.

Key:
    +: Plus
    +-: Neutral
    -: Minus

Skip Shot's Steel Gym
    Spoiler:

Darkfox1525's Dark Gym
    Spoiler:

SethMetal37's Dark Gym
    Spoiler:

Notice I left out my gym. Yep, that's right; I'm avoiding self-praise because it's not fair to the ones who worked hard for me to brag about my own work.

Also, don't hate me if you disagree with one of my minus points. I'm just trying to help you for future reference, and I really do enjoy reading your stuff! I just have to be critical of miscues, that's all, because Maci's standards
    have gone up this round.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    Skip Shot's Steel Gym
    - I personally wouldn't waste Heatran's item slot with a Berry in Round Two. It just doesn't seem practical.
    I think it's rather useful, actually. That berry is a one-time deal with the devil for a 4x Ground weak pokemon as Heatran, that is, if some guy decides to EQ Tran, the berry is used and half the damage is taken. I'm pretty sure Heatran could handle anything but that, so it gets at least one shot at burning something. I like that. Just my two cents though.

As for the steel gym, I have a question too. Are the traps a one-time deal, or do they activate every single time the person steps on the tile/enters the gym? If that's the case, then you would pretty much force the trainer to use potions and the likes to keep ze pokes healthy for the leader..
    Also, would Poison- and Steel-types be immune to the Toxic status from the spiky traps?

slls81

What does that even mean?
    Years
    Oh man, my Gym's a steel-type too. A bit varied, but even so there can't be two Steel-types... Look out, Skip!

Now working on Gym layout, need to finish Leader data and do Round 2. I'll enter it in Round 7 or 8.

To above: I have 7 trainers, but it's a big Gym. Not too bad, do you think? You'll likely be playing this too, so input isn't a bad thing.

No sorry on reflection I should have put 10 trainers not 5 :embarrass I've edited it now. Sorry bout that. :(

Erm yeah 7 trainers should be fine. My main point was 30 was too many... but we seem to have agreed on that anyway :P

Darkfox1525

God in the arts of Darkness
    Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2011
    Darkfox1525's Dark Gym
    + Levels progress well, and all are appropriate for the limits.
    + Daniel looks pretty cool, and his 'tough but respectful' attitude contrasts nicely with the previous leader.

+- I love the puzzle, but it might get a little frustrating to have to push every button. I would hate to think I got them all and get burned just because I missed one. Gets annoying to have to travel all the way back to the PC just to heal one mistake.

- Grammar is kind of shoddy overall.
    - Holy heck. Sixteen trainers!? That's a little excessive for the sixth gym.
    - I think Daniel would be more challenging in Round Two with six Pokemon.

Final thoughts: It's a great gym, but it's plagued by an overly complicated system requiring sixteen battles and sixteen button presses just to reach the leader. I can only give it a C+.
    Yeah, i was kinda thinking the same thing. so i decided to tune it down alittle and make it so you only have to press 5 out of the ten best trainers i have in there. that way, you'll still have a challenge and not have an annoying puzzle to go through. I'm working on the grammer as well.

Maci12

Gym Leader
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Comments Pending...(I will edit my post with comments, I just need to look over all the gyms). It will probably be like 30 minutes so I'm giving you heads up.

Darkfox1525

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2011
    ok, gym edited to be better. grammer will be changed later. also, are 6 pokemon allowed in round two?

SethMetal37

I'm a zombie. BLARG!
    Years
    @ Syrynn

The mom doesn't have a name because I dont really know if they ever give her one in the games.

Arcainine is there mainly because there aren't tons of dark types to choose from and like in GSC Vileplume was on the dark-type ladys team and so was gengar. Im not saying its right I just wanted a little variation.

The gramatical and format errors mainly occured because I typed this late at night on Tuesday. Still doesnt make it right though :P

I can change Le-Anne and George's levels but I was just worried about level variation.

Yeah the level split on the leader is quite a large one, ill try and fix it

Shiftry really depends on Houndoom's Sunny Day to still be in effect. Sableye also has Fire Punch for that very same reason.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    I'm going to take the time to comment on the three best gyms I've seen this round.

Key:
    +: Plus
    +-: Neutral
    -: Minus

Skip Shot's Steel Gym
    Spoiler:

I really appreciate your comments. I realized the controversy of the traps in the gym when I started typing this up, but I did want this gym to be based off of a labyrinth, and make it a little more challenging than most gyms are. A labyrinth usually has several hidden traps with various effects. I chose the poison effect because of the move Toxic Spikes (because techinically, Neckel could have used Forretress to set them up).

I do realize the problem with Kitsunoh and Flash Cannon. This is a really a question of flavor vs. competitive issue here. In most of the regular games, all/most of the Pokemon that a gym leader has contain the TM that the trainer gives out(in this case, Flash Cannon). I felt it necessary to put Flash Cannon on Kitsunoh for that reason. However, if a lot of people do disagree, I can switch Flash Cannon for another move.

Shuca Berry- one thing I didn't want to do was give any Pokemon on the team Choice items, so I went for other items that the Pokemon may have competetively. The Shuca Berry provides a challenge to trainers that Ground moves to beat Heatran with, because Heatran can then still live and respond with a powerful move of its own. I can switch it for something like Wise Glasses if you prefer, however.

Life Orb- Same thing as Shuca Berry, but I see where you are coming from, since you fear that the team may be a little too challenging with two Life Orbs coming in. I could give Magnezone something else (since it is the one that I would prefer to lose the Life Orb on) like a Silk Scarf to boost Explosion's power.

Again, thanks! Let me know what you think!

EDIT: Didn't see (Phantom Renegade)'s post.

Regarding the traps, they are a one-time use, and will reset every time you leave the gym and come back. The spikes traps will affect any Pokemon in the party (because they shoot out and aren't grounded). However, I did go with some ground rules for the Toxic Spikes traps. Just like with the move, any Poison or Steel type Pokemon won't be affected by them. Any other pokemon (including Levitate/flying types) will be, going back to the shooting out concept. The steel doors remain sprung up until the player leaves the gym.

Also, none of these traps exist in the second round, mainly because the gym has been converted to just one hallway surrounded by steel walls.

EDIT 2: I wanted to rate Syrynn's gym for him, just so he could get a view of how other people saw it.

- I love your idea of converting into a Pokemon to do battle. The addition of Cyclohm is great for Round 2, and the gym poses a great challenge. The Dragon type is really flexible to build teams around, and you showed that with the inclusions of Gyarados, Sceptile, and Charizard in Wyatt's team. The only question I have mainly relates to Wyatt: Does he also battle you in draconic form? Which Pokemon is he?

Amazing gym overall, and I won't be surprised if it wins by a landslide.

Last edited:

Syrynn

Writer of Tales
    Years
    You brought up some good points.

With the berry, I didn't really look closely enough to see what kind it was, so I just kind of assumed it was a lack of judgment, and for that I admit my mistake.

I'm not worried about challenge with the Life Orb, per se; I'm more concerned that there are other great items in the pool.

Magnezone
    I'd leave its Life Orb here.

Lucario
    You could consider Wise Glasses here, and switch Close Combat out with Psychic or Dragon Pulse for a full-effect Special powerhouse.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    Well, here is my entry.

Kendra City Gym
    Electric/Poison
    Gym: 6

Gym Sign

Kendra City Gym:
    Leader: Chris
    The Master of Thunder and Poison.

Gym Nerd

"Hey, so you made it this far, huh? Well, this gym is no place to be unprepared. The Gym Leader uses Poison and Electric Types of Pokemon! If I were you, I'd bring Psychic and Ground types, or it will be hard to win!"

Gym Puzzle

Spoiler:

Gym Map

Spoiler:

Guide:
    Purple=Trainer
    Brown=Warp
    Yellow=Electric Fence
    Light Green/Yellow Green=Poisoned Spikes
    Red=Gym Guy
    Green=Door
    Dark Red=Gym Leader

Gym Trainers

Spoiler:

Gym Leader

Leader Chris [Electric/Poison]
    Spoiler:

Round 2

Leader Chris [Electric/Poison]
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Maci12

Gym Leader
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Okay I had a huge thing typed up and then I clicked the ****ing Bing button and it all got destroyed in one second. Whatever, onto the comments! I was extremely picky this round due to the amazing quality of Round 5 work, so be prepared!

DarkFox1525's Dark Gym

Formatting & grammar need work, but you are among the few people who actually got it right and used 5 Pokemon in Round 2 instead of 6, so congratz on that =P. For Round 7: Gym 7, I would like to see a different gym, simply to see what other tricks you have up your sleeve. Good job.

Poison Pokemon Rule's Ghost Gym

Great job on this gym; it is really well done. The level progression, evolution progression, and most importantly the formatting are all well done (you will see that formatting is a big theme this round). This is one of my top picks this round, congradulations. One minor nitpick is that I would like the Gym Leader's name changed. Also, trainer's don't need movesets. Gary is a little bit too...you know what I'm getting at.

BloodLucario's Ghost Gym

Formatting/Grammar need a lot of work in this post. The level progression is a little too sudden for my tastes, though the evolution progression is well done. You are again one of the few people that has 5 pokemon as opposed to 6 in Round 2, congratz on that. Please make some formatting changes, for good examples, look at some of SkipShot's/Syrynn's/ooOpposite Day's Gym's.

Torrie's Fire Gym

This needs huge formatting and grammatical help. The level progression and evolution progression are subpar, and the progression from Gym Round 1 to Round 2 isn't natural: there is no theme. Also, there are no trainers for Round 2 of the gym, and the trainers don't need movesets for Round 1. The sets are all competetively viable, which is a plus for you, but this gym needs some help. Also, Round 2 requires 5 pokemon, no more, and no less. Without pictures & correct formatting, I can't consider this gym for the poll.

Syrynn's Dragon Gym

Thank you for the breath of fresh air! Fantastic gym, you really raised the bar exceptionally high. I like the whole theme you have going on, and all the level/evolution/Round 2 progressions are perfect. However, Round 2 has 6 pokemon when it can have a max of 5, and in Round 1 I would like to see Shelgon fully evolved; at this stage all the Gym Leader's Pokemon should be. Incredible job.

As a side note, I like the use of CAP 8 =).

Skip Shot's Steel Gym

The good news keeps coming! The gym is absolutely flawless: you just need to change the pokemon number from 6 to 5 in Round 2. Thank you sooooo much for giving me this gym to look at!

By the way - I love your consistent use of CAPs =).

Also don't change the LO on Lucario: Close Combat STAB LO is one of the most threatening Physical Attacks.

SethMetal's Dark Gym

The formatting needs huge work. The font size is too big for my liking, bolding everything makes it unreadable, and it needs some help. The level progression is too sharp, and the progression to Round 2 has too many pokemon (6 vs. 5). Also, there need to be pictures (make sure you have 16+ posts, as 15 and under can't post pictures) or else I can't consider the gym. I like your illusion theme, but the rest of the gym needs help =/.

Loucas's Grass/Rock Gym

Again, the formatting needs work. Bolding everything and not including pictures makes it unreadable, and the random captilizations and mispellings make it even harder. The Grass/Rock is a cool theme, and you have a lot of options with it, which is why I don't understand why you went in the opposite direction as the rest of them and did 3 vs. 5 for Round 2 pokemon. Again, Gym Trainer's don't need movesets, though it does show that you put a lot of time into this gym, which I like. This gym has potential, but needs some help.

Zeta Dimentio's Poison/Electric Gym

Don't say you have no chance: that gym was great! It would make it slightly easier to read if you unbolded all the text except for the Trainer & Pokemon names, as it gives it more texture. I'd say all the Trainer Pokemon's levels should go up by 1 so the progression is good, and I would like to see more variation in the trainer's pokemon. A lot of the Gym Trainers have the Gym Leader's pokemon, so maybe give it different Electric type pokemon, and put in Toxicroak over Seviper in his Gym set. Also, vary the pokemon in Round 2 from Round 1, like put in Electivire in over Raichu or something along those lines, you want the pokemon & the levels to be different. Great job!
    ====================
    Wooh, a lot of typing there!

As you noticed I have some big themes, so here they are:

Big Themes
    • Gym Round 2 must have 5 Pokemon, no more or less.
    • Gym Trainers do not need movesets, as I can't implement them into the hack.
    • FORMATTING AND GRAMMAR ARE CRUCIAL
    I said one of those things to everyone this round, and I hope I don't have to say them to anyone next round.

Also, I assume that ooOpposite Day's Ice Gym is coming, as he has announced it.

As a closing note, where is Charmegeddon, he said he had great ideas for these past few rounds, and hasn't submitted in any of them =(. I hope to see his gyms again.

I will edit this post as new gym's are posted, check here if you just added your gym.

Last edited:

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    Thanks for the comments Maci! I'll go ahead and remove a Pokemon from round 2. One question: Can you implement Kistunoh's ShadowStrike into the hack? I want to know if you can so I can choose between Shadow Claw and ShadowStrike.

Syrynn- I'd prefer to keep Life Orb on Lucario, so I'll give Magnezone Wise Glasses then. Thanks!

EDIT: since I'm a fan of keeping the offensive balance, I chose to keep the special attacking side of my offense intact and took out Metagross from the round 2 lineup.

Syrynn

Writer of Tales
    Years
    Thanks for such high praise! I really wanted to dazzle with the whole inner dragon theme. Never underestimate the power of tile tricks and transformations. ;)

Error fixes: I fixed Shelgon for you. And dang, I forgot about the five Pokemon limit in Round Two! It was pretty painful, but I had to get rid of Gyarados. I really wanted all the others to be in there because:

1. Who'd expect Wyatt to rip out a Sceptile on you?
    2. Salamence is just cool. :)
    3. I really loved Cyclohm, so adding him into the Round Two lineup was essential.
    4. Kingdra needs more love in the gyms.
    5. It's freaking Latios. XD

So yeah, Gyarados was kind of left in the cold. *sniff*

EDIT: Aaah! Sceptile needs a defense against Dragons! Fixed.

Also, Zeta, that's a cool gym! It's definitely in my top three of the round. I love the dual-type theme you have going. :)

Last edited:

Maci12

Gym Leader
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Quick Questions Post

In the interest of saving space, all quick questions from Round 6: Gym 6 will be answered here by me. Check here if you have recenetly posed a short question. I will be making a QQ Post every round.

Originally Posted by SkipShot
    One question: Can you implement Kistunoh's ShadowStrike into the hack? I want to know if you can so I can choose between Shadow Claw and ShadowStrike.

I can implement Shadow Strike, so go ahead and use it =).

Darkfox1525

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2011
    Edited my gym abit, but i'm going to continue editing it.

Last edited:
    Back