• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Pikachu Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
Years
  • @Its probably done more professionally than three quarters of the hacks in these forums.
    are you serious or are you pulling my leg? like all this person did was change a few minor parts of the game. though it is considered a hack it should not be. a professional hack includes : a original story, new feature, new region...etc. and if this hack becomes hack of the year... i cant even say it.... there is no skill needed for this hack is what im getting at.

heck i bet i could create a pokemon blue totodile : special totodile edition in the same amount of time this hack has been going on (though i wont i have a actual hack to work on)

Hey, no one is stopping you from making a Totodile hack. And by "professionally," I mean that the hack works in the way it is supposed to. To be professional, a hack does not need all of that. It may be so that there is only a few things changed. But the way in which these things are done is what really makes it professional. The quality in which things have been done are above your average hack around here anyways.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
  • Oh boy, yet another exciting hack in the scrapbox...

seriously though I give you props for actually completing it.

Years
  • @ Its probably done more professionally than three quarters of the hacks in these forums.
    are you serious or are you pulling my leg? like all this person did was change a few minor parts of the game. though it is considered a hack it should not be. a professional hack includes : a original story, new feature, new region...etc. and if this hack becomes hack of the year... i cant even say it.... there is no skill needed for this hack is what im getting at.
    Ha, "Professional". That makes me lol.

You can hardly call 95% of the stories here "original". Most are "You are a 1_ year old boy/girl in the region of ____, and must defeat Team ____ and stop their evil plan to _______!"

I've seen very few hacks with new features. Playing as a Pikachu could be considered a feature if you count some of the stupid ideas some people call features.

And a new region? Why? There is nothing wrong with Kanto, and this is meant to be a very loose remake of Yellow, hence the name.

Lets take a look at your hack. You changed a few things around, but overall, it's still basically FireRed with people & places renamed and some new maps that are still boring, mediocre towns like you would find in Kanto. Oh, and a few sprite changes.

heck i bet i could create a pokemon blue totodile : special totodile edition in the same amount of time this hack has been going on (though i wont i have a actual hack to work on)
    Then freaking do it. I have done more than just change sprites, despite what some of you seem to think. I changed wild pokemon to Pikachu, and am currently in the process of changing all the trainers and their pokemon to Pikachu. It's tedious work, and if you did that, I would play it. A game with all water-types would be a challenge. This game is pretty difficult, and presents its own set of challenges that the original game didn't have. Most moves are not very effective. You get Paralyzed quite often, and Gym Leader challenges can be extremely difficult.

That said, I've never presented this as anything other than FireRed with lots of Pikachu. It delivers exactly what it says, and if you don't like it, then too bad. Take your petty jealousy somewhere else. Here, you're only showing everyone who does understand what this is just how foolish you sound, giving my friends something to laugh at while on MSN, and bumping this thread so more people can come see it. I doubt you want any of those 3 things. I personally like all three. This is endlessly entertaining for me.

Glitch.

maybe making a comeback
    Years
  • Ha, "Professional". That makes me lol.

You can hardly call 95% of the stories here "original". Most are "You are a 1_ year old boy/girl in the region of ____, and must defeat Team ____ and stop their evil plan to _______!"

I've seen very few hacks with new features. Playing as a Pikachu could be considered a feature if you count some of the stupid ideas some people call features.

And a new region? Why? There is nothing wrong with Kanto, and this is meant to be a very loose remake of Yellow, hence the name.

Lets take a look at your hack. You changed a few things around, but overall, it's still basically FireRed with people & places renamed and some new maps that are still boring, mediocre towns like you would find in Kanto. Oh, and a few sprite changes.

Then freaking do it. I have done more than just change sprites, despite what some of you seem to think. I changed wild pokemon to Pikachu, and am currently in the process of changing all the trainers and their pokemon to Pikachu. It's tedious work, and if you did that, I would play it. A game with all water-types would be a challenge. This game is pretty difficult, and presents its own set of challenges that the original game didn't have. Most moves are not very effective. You get Paralyzed quite often, and Gym Leader challenges can be extremely difficult.

That said, I've never presented this as anything other than FireRed with lots of Pikachu. It delivers exactly what it says, and if you don't like it, then too bad. Take your petty jealousy somewhere else. Here, you're only showing everyone who does understand what this is just how foolish you sound, giving my friends something to laugh at while on MSN, and bumping this thread so more people can come see it. I doubt you want any of those 3 things. I personally like all three. This is endlessly entertaining for me.
    mediocre? last time i checked they are pretty good for the amount of time i actually spent on them (20-30mins at most) plus sharpy likes them and he is a awesome hacker. also i don't see you making a completely new region. plus kanto... it is a good region but people want fresh new ideas not just sprite changes... i mean no disrespect or anything but seriously.. this has no chance in my opinion to get treated well in the long run..

Years
  • mediocre? last time i checked they are pretty good for the amount of time i actually spent on them (20-30mins at most) plus sharpy likes them and he is a awesome hacker. also i don't see you making a completely new region. plus kanto... it is a good region but people want fresh new ideas not just sprite changes... i mean no disrespect or anything but seriously.. this has no chance in my opinion to get treated well in the long run..
    Mediocre means nothing special, which they aren't. I don't know who Sharpy is, but they're just towns. Rainy Whatever City is no better than Viridian City, and Viridian City suits my purposes just fine.

I think this is good for the amount of time I actually spent on it. And exactly, you don't see me making a new region, because the game is SET IN FREAKING KANTO. That would just be more work to make a new region when this one is perfectly fine.

I think it does have a chance to be treated well for what it is. It's people like you who don't get that it's only supposed to be FireRed with Pikachu that are treating it badly.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2022
    @SharpPoint - The point I was trying to make in my post is that this entire game is obvious satire. I know full well that soley judging it as a hack without this thread for context, it wouldn't be anything to write home about. It's frustratingly difficult to train your Pikachu (electric moves, of course, being "not very effective" against other Pikachu...and they don't give much EXP, either), and you don't even have a Light Ball to allow you to deal more damage to your unequipped brethern. The scripts are all virtually unchanged (it even asks if you want "Charmander, Bulbasaur or Squirtle!"). The maps are all the same. Any fool with A-map and a sprite editor could do it - as Kenji says in his posts, it's nothing more that what he says it is - Fire Red. With Pikachu. Lots of them.

But it is not the hack itself that makes this succeed. Plusle happens to be my favorite Pokemon - would I leap all over this and sing its praises if it were "Pokemon Plusle Cream: Special Plusle Edition?" No...I'd acknowledge it for the mediocre work it was if it wasn't accompanied by a very tongue-in-cheek thread that made it clear it was a joke. Because what I get from this thread is what seems to be the real point behind why it was made - there are things in the Scrapbox that are not much better than this that are made in total seriousness. Newbie hackers change a few things and think they're making a masterpiece (I was there once, too - I started my first hack, Jersey Quest, in the year 2004. My idea of mapping back then was to slap paved roads unto the routes and through the towns, and considered changing the text to be an amazing achievement. I couldn't script my way out of a wet paper bag, had no idea how to insert tiles, and made some truly AWFUL sprites). They demonstrate little, if any, skill and ask others to be their "scripters" and "spriters" and "mappers." The stories are the same old Nintendo stories underneath some window dressing (I'm guilty of this too...I fully admit Jersey Quest was stuck in that rut and that's one reason I'm taking a break to work on a very different hack ^^' I want to be able to retool it in the future and make something genuinely unique and fun to play :) ) - what Kenji does here is simply use a different sort of window dressing to what you usually see in the Scrapbox ("Pikachu everywhere!" as opposed to "New Gym Leaders! New Maps! New Region! But No New Scripts Unless Someone Else Does That For Me!").

@Kenji - But what this thread has inspired me to do...is to actually start posting in the Scrapbox. If I perceive a problem...I should take a stand to fix it. I post on the threads and say what I like and what I don't. I discuss in detail. I try to be friendly and open, because I know most all of us started with goofy projects like this as our first tries. Is the Scrapbox a mess? It is in a lot of ways - it's not often I see a project actually leave here and enter Progressing Hacks. But I think with some encouragement and advice, maybe this place can be improved, one hack at at time. And even if your brainchild inspired only one person, Kenji - it was worth it. Thanks :)

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • I don't get all of the negativity directed to this project... It will be one of the very few on this board that actually manages to live up to the goals set for it. I mean, two hundred original Pokemon, six playable regions, online trading and a whiskey dispenser may sound good when you first start the hack, but once they realize that it will require a few hundred hours of their time and won't make them instantly popular, most hackers lose interest and either put the project on hiatus or start a new one, which will invariably set equally lofty goals.

That was a sixty-eight word sentence! See what you made me do?!

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    Not sure if this has been asked but how do I get the items in the game that require you to catch so many Pokemon first? That'll be kinda hard to do if I can only get Pikachus in the game.

Years
  • Not sure if this has been asked but how do I get the items in the game that require you to catch so many Pokemon first? That'll be kinda hard to do if I can only get Pikachus in the game.
    Ah, didn't think of that. Uh.. the Flash HM will be a pokeball item sitting somewhere you can't miss it. The Exp Share & Amulet Coin will also be found somewhere, and the itemfinder will be on Treasure Beach.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • Even if it can't be used, I wanted to help out in some way. So, I made this!

Pokemon Pikachu Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition

Because, y'know, there aren't any Kangaskhan or whatever that thing is supposed to be in PikaKanto.

Years
  • Even if it can't be used, I wanted to help out in some way. So, I made this!

Because, y'know, there aren't any Kangaskhan or whatever that thing is supposed to be in PikaKanto.
    Oh, wow, that's amazing, thanks. :D

I already inserted it. I'll credit you in the first post in a few minutes :3

cadgod120

Your Rival
    Years
  • I agree with everyone who praises this hack. Just because it's a hack doesn't mean it has to be serious! Highly original. I've never seen a humorous game before today, and I'm glad I did see it.

Edit: putting in support banner.

Years
  • Thanks.

Anyway, I've uploaded the final beta. This is essentially the final game, except for the hero backsprites, Flash HM isn't available (though you could just look at a map for the few places that "require" it), and one edited map near the end needs a few touch-ups. Enjoy :3

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • Thanks.

Anyway, I've uploaded the final beta. This is essentially the final game, except for the hero backsprites, Flash HM isn't available (though you could just look at a map for the few places that "require" it), and one edited map near the end needs a few touch-ups. Enjoy :3
    this 'except' can be gone soon, for I haz made them! :3

the base sprite is pikachu's hg/ss backsprite

(a pikachu sends out a pikachu from a pokeball, now that's epic)

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    And you'd need to make two sets as a female Pikachu's tail looks different then the male's. Also the title screen needs to be changed to show a Pikachu and the title of the hack.

Years
  • this 'except' can be gone soon, for I haz made them! :3

the base sprite is pikachu's hg/ss backsprite

(a pikachu sends out a pikachu from a pokeball, now that's epic)
    Ooh, thanks, these are great :D

And you'd need to make two sets as a female Pikachu's tail looks different then the male's.
    There aren't any gender differences in this hack, so that's not necessary. :3

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back