• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Most important aspect in Rom Hacking.

Most important aspect in ROM Hacking.

• Total voters

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
  • So, what do you think is the most important aspect in rom hacking. Is it the graphics? Since we judge hacks by there screen shots, graphics can sway people to support the hack. Or is it scripting/gameplay, the whole reason we play video games is for the gameplay. So, it would make since that scripting is the most important part. Do you believe that the most important part is not graphics, or scripting? Then share your view on this subject.

I personally believe it's the scripting. Without scripting, a hack is meaningless; But with out graphic changes, it is not that big of a deal.

Denali

C++ Programmer
    Years
  • I think the most important part is the story and scripting. I don't really care if there are new tiles or new features. But if there's a great story sided with solid scripting, then I'm all for it.... Also if there isn't good scripting then people will get bored, even if there is flashy graphics....

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
    Years
  • I think story, scripting, etc. are the important parts. A hack with FRLG tiles but everything else different can be an amazing game. FR with different tiles would be FireRed and little more.

Co500

Nostalgia Edition
    Years
  • same i think story and scripting but a little new tiles wont hurt but mapping aswell cause if someone saw a bad map (c'mon people we've all seen them in hacks) it'll put us off

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    Creativity. Without creativity, the game is just gonna be plain boring.

Not really you could be the most creative person in the world, but if you don't know how to apply that creativity into a rom, its not much use :/

I think it would be scripting and mapping for me :)

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Um, well, without scripting, you don't have a game.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    It's pretty much everything. For the hack itself, scripting/gameplay is the more important. But for the hack's popularity, (and to say it frankly, to amaze the noobs) graphics are more important. So if you value popularity more than scripting and gameplay (and quality, in general) I bet you like graphics more than scripting.

As for myself, I think both are very important. There can be a hack without graphics, although I'd hate it, and it wouldn't attract too many players.

Ty2

New Hacker and Working Hard
    Years
  • By what Ray said, of course the story and the scripting is the most important aspect. But even if the story is probably the best story ever made, the graphics could just turn someone away from it.

Graphics are probably the most important overall, just because it attracts people to the game and it can sometimes make people not support the game.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    By what Ray said, of course the story and the scripting is the most important aspect. But even if the story is probably the best story ever made, the graphics could just turn someone away from it.

Graphics are probably the most important overall, just because it attracts people to the game and it can sometimes make people not support the game.

Correct, but like I said, graphics don't affect the quality of the hack much, just its popularity, because most of the people are bored of the old FRLGRSE tiles.

It's down to opinions too. I judge from screenshots, not scripts.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2011
    Creativity. Without creativity, the game is just gonna be plain boring.
    ^THIS^

Scripting is not gameplay. You can script everything perfectly, and still have the gameplay be crap. What's important is that you have a good plan for your game, an interesting storyline, good pacing, etc...

How you implement things isn't nearly as important as what you implement. Code can be fixed, but a bad concept will kill a hack dead.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Correct, but like I said, graphics don't affect the quality of the hack much, just its popularity, because most of the people are bored of the old FRLGRSE tiles.

It's down to opinions too. I judge from screenshots, not scripts.

To be quite honest, people aren't bored. You're looking at it from a rom hacking point of view. Sure you get some n00b who has to post about tile changes, but apart from that most people playing the hack don't care about the tiles, unless they are REALLY bad.

I think you need a balance of everything and you need to make it flow with the storyline. This way things don't appear to be random and you won't be "WTF? What has this got to do with .....".

Light Platinum should take this advice

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • Why is everyone replying to POKEMON hacking if the thread isn't meant to be for that...

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2011
    To be quite honest, people aren't bored. You're looking at it from a rom hacking point of view. Sure you get some n00b who has to post about tile changes, but apart from that most people playing the hack don't care about the tiles, unless they are REALLY bad.

I think you need a balance of everything and you need to make it flow with the storyline. This way things don't appear to be random and you won't be "WTF? What has this got to do with .....".

Light Platinum should take this advice

I'll second that. As for me, I'm perfectly willing to play a hack with R/B sprites, if the rest of it is done well. I think this applies to a lot of people as well. Look at commercial games. The biggest hits aren't always the graphical blockbusters, or even the games laden with "innovative features". They're the ones that balance the gameplay well, in order to make an experience that is interesting and enjoyable.

Why is everyone replying to POKEMON hacking if the thread isn't meant to be for that...

Maybe because this is the PokeCommunity? You know, just a thought, but it does kind of make sense that people would be discussing pokemon related subject matter on a pokemon themed forum. :cheeky:

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
  • In my opinion, graphics play a huge role.
    For me, i'm tired of seeing the same old FR/LG graphics (not gonna start on R/S/E...)
    and if somebody doesn't take the time to add new graphics ANYWHERE (doesn't have to be tiles, as some people like FR/LG tiles...) then that says "Lazy Lazy" (for example, a titlescreen with only the text edited) or maybe not inserting new intro sprites / ow's for a new character (eg using reds' ow's and saying "u r lucas")
    Scripting and story line are pretty much entwined. Basically, if you have a story that requires complex scripts, then do it. If you have scripts that are A++ quality, but a crap story then nobody really cares about it.
    Music again, music is kinda like tiles.
    Maps- These are pretty important.
    ASM- Use as required
    But, in my opinion, the most important part of a hack, is paying attention to details. Remembering to put a sign in, don't have empty houses etc. Maybe instead of the typical "Snes Script" use something that is a little more fun/entertaining. Not necessarily interactive, but different. It will set you out from the rest. Also, presentation. If you aren't willing to make your hack look nice on the thread, then odds are that you didn't make it nice on the FILE.
    Thats my rant :D

Neon Hydra

Master of Visibillity
    Years
  • Scripting\gameplay is deffinetly the most important. Without it you are playing the game over again. sure it looks nice but it is the same thing.

Back