• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype Challenge (Ver. 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2010
    Thanks, but I think I'll try something a little easier to do. =D

Maybe Ice or Dark... not sure yet.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    The updates never end!!

I went against Janine but it was no match for Manoswine. I then went against Brock where everybody joined in and helped me win. With another fairly easy gym battle under my belt, I took off to Cinnabar Island to battle Blaine....but he wasn't there...

EDIT:

I proceeded to a nearby island east of Cinnabar and whaddaya know? He was in there in a makeshift gym. The battle
    was actually kinda easy besides the obvious fire>ice advantage. Dewgong and Mamoswine performed well. I then talked to Blue and flew to Viridian City. I traversed the odd step pads that propelled me forward, sideways, and backwards. It was dizzying but I managed it. I finally made it to Blue where I immediately began a battle. Overall, many of his pokemon were strong against my type...but at the same time he also had some weaknesses I exposed. He began with Exeggutor so I finished it off with repeated ice shards. His Rhydon was up next so I 2HKO'd it with Earthquake. He then sent out his Arcanine which was tough but I finished it off with Mamoswine/Dewgong. Machamp turned out to be quite tough so he beat Mamoswine and I sent out jynx to use psychic. It knocked off a huge chunk of hp but not enough for a faint. It used stone edge and finished Jynx. I then sent out Glaceon where I somehow managed to pull off Blizzard while Machamp healed up. It was a OHKO. His Gyarados was also tough but amazingly I froze it with just one of Dewgong's Ice beam. I revived my mamoswine (because at that point Jynx, Glaceon, and Mamoswine had fainted from Machamp and gyarados. I used rock slide twice to finish Gyarados and then his Pidgeot was left. The battle was in my favor at last so I used ice shard with 4 HP left on Mamoswinr and then Pidgeot used whirlwind. I used Ice beam with Dewgong and that was it. Challenge completed.

Spoiler:

End quote: I've never had to use so many potions, revives, super potions, revives, max potions, hyper potions, full restores...you name it! It was fun though =]

Last edited:

MudkipRush!!!

Epic Fail Trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2010
    I bet Falkner's embarrassed now! :D
    Well, it did take me three tries to beat him, but after the first two humiliations of getting owned by a barrage of Gusts that always seemed to crit, I trained both my Pokemon and Ledyba's reflect really helped me :).
    The battle was still annoying, as all he used that time was Sand Attack and Roost. It took, like, ten minutes >:(

Team

Beedrill
    Lv. 17
    Twineedle
    Harden
    Focus Energy
    Fury Attack

Ledyba
    Lv. 16
    Tackle
    Supersonic
    Comet Punch
    Reflect

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Hey guys, make sure to say some thoughts on your experience (once you succeed) so I can add them under your name in the Champion's Corner.

Now that I've done the challenge I can say that I'm pretty manly.

Graaawwwwwllrrrr!!

Last edited:

MudkipRush!!!

Epic Fail Trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2010
    It took a while and a LOT of Twineedles and Potions, but I managed to down Bugsy's Scyther reasonably easily with my Beedrill.
    Then Beedrill destroyed the rest of his team with Rage. <3 Rage and Twineedle.
    Currently training for the battle against Heart's Quilava. I have a feeling it will take many tries. :/

Team

Beedrill/OMGWASP ;(
    Lv. 21
    Twineedle
    Rage
    Focus Energy
    Fury Attack

Ledian
    Lv. 20
    Mach Punch
    Supersonic
    Comet Punch
    Reflect.
    Comet Punch

LAWL!

Summary of Rival Battle:
    Heart sent out Gastly!
    OMGWASP ;( used Pursuit. Gastly fainted!
    Heart sent out Quilava!
    Quilava decided to never use Ember even though my team was entirely composed of brittle bug types!
    Quilava fainted!

I won the battle without taking any damage. Fail AI. I'll certainly have problems with him in the future, though.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2011
    I'm in with my heart gold FIRE team.

Final Team: Typhlosion, Arcannine, Flareon, Houndoom, Magmar, Camerupt

First update tomorrow.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Good, good. I'll sign you up...and good luck mudkiprush!!!

Facing your weakness is tough...especially with bug types

MudkipRush!!!

Epic Fail Trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2010
    Beat Whitney incredibly easily, Beedrill took care of Clefairy and most of Miltank, then I switched out to Pineco and self destructed for the lulz. Gym complete.

Played the bug catching contest and didn't even rank. Maybe because I only caught a Butterfree then retired :P

Killed Sudowoodo, currently in Ecruteak city. Just about to enter the sinister looking tower thingy.

Beedrill
    Lv. 26
    Twineedle
    Toxic Spikes
    Rage
    Pursuit

Butterfree
    Lv. 26
    Psybeam
    Whirlwind
    Gust
    Sleep Powder

Ledian
    Lv. 25
    U-Turn
    Supersonic
    Headbutt
    Reflect

Pineco
    Lv. 27 (Trying to evolve to Forretress)
    Take Down
    Rapid Spin
    Selfdestruct
    Bug Bite

Parasect
    Lv. 25
    Spore
    Slash
    Cut
    Poison Powder

(Soon to be) Heracross
    Lv.27

Update time!

Went aaaaaalllllllll the way back to Azalea to catch Heracross. God, he was a ***** to catch. Took me a lot of tries with Parasect until I finally decided to get False Swipe. Finally got it. Grinded it to level 27. Taught it Focus Blast. Taught Butterfree Solar Beam.

Went aaaaaaalllll the way back to Ecruteak and completely destroyed my rival. Butterfree 1HKOd Gastly and Zubat, and Heracross 1HKOd both Magnemite and Quilava with Focus Blast.

Blitzed the Ghost gym with Butterfree and it's Psybeam. 1HKOd almost all of Morty's pokemon except Gengar. He took 2 hits.

Y'know, for what is supposedly the worst type in the game, these bugs actually pwn. It may be to do with me being overlevelled, but you kinda have to be when using Bugs...

Team

Butterfree
    Lv. 28
    Psybeam
    Solar Beam
    Silver Wind
    Sleep Powder

Pineco
    Lv. 27
    Take Down
    Rapid Spin
    Self Destruct
    Bug Bite

Ledian
    Lv. 25
    U-Turn
    Supersonic
    Headbutt
    Reflect

Heracross (<3)
    Lv. 27
    Aerial Ace
    Brick Break
    Focus Blast
    Counter

Beedrill
    Lv. 26
    Twineedle
    Toxic Spikes (Man, all the rest of the Gym's except Steel are screwed. He can easily survive two turns >:-) )
    Rage
    Pursuit

Parasect (Catcher)
    Lv. 25
    Spore
    False Swipe
    Slash
    Cut

Man, the Ghost gym's thrown my levels out of whack. Grinding time!

Last edited:

Azumin

Trader/RNGer. ^-^
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    Minor update:
    After solving the saffron city gym's puzzle I proceeded to Sabrina, only to be defeated. On the second try
    I took her Alakazam down with a critical Ice Shard. After defeating Sabrina, I took on celadon city's gym with no problem.
    Mamoswine FTW!

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years

• Let the games begin!
    • Met the odd, kimono wearing woman again. Only, this time, she pretended like she didn't even know me! That's extremely insensitive, seeing as I told you my name already, and I let you look at my Togepi Egg (and no, that is not an innuendo).
    • A nice lady gave me the TM for Taunt. If I was trying to catch an Abra, this would have been extremely helpful. But, I'm only using Normal-types, which means no Abra for me. I'll hold onto the TM though, since I don't like selling gifts.
    • Read the sign outside of the guardpost-like building. Apparently, Radio Tower is giving away Radio Cards! I wonder if they have any Ocarinas… Perhaps a Wind Waker?
    • Register Gina in my PokeGear, because I roll that way. Then I registered Ian, because I don't want to be a dick and say no to a little kid. God, that came out wrong.
    • Hey, it's Lyra! And, apparently, she's related to the Day Care Couple! Also, she's not Crys! …Just saying. She still has that Marill with her, and I think I might have to have Aipom kick its ass. Also, Lyra's grandmother seems to be implying that Lyra and I are an item. That… I don't really mind; I'd hit that. She gave me her number too… damn, two girls in one day. Gold is becoming a pimp. I also registered Lyra's grandparents because they asked, instead of Prof. Oak, who demanded that I go out and tame wild animals. Where is that prick anyway? I've got a few choice (and four) letter words for him.
    • Found another cop, but he only ever does anything at night, and he never leaves this Route. Good job, Johto Police Division.
    • Mom called to tell me she bought me a gift. Thanks Mom! I wonder what it is… To the Goldenrod Department Store! Besides, I've gotta pick up a few TMs there anyways.
    • Mom bought me Yache Berries! Not exactly useful for this Challenge, but should I start my Dragon Challenge anytime soon, these will become infinitely useful! Thanks Mom. P.S: Buy me a Dratini next!
    • Took the elevator to the 6th floor, and got myself a Prism Berry in the Drawing. Not bad, but I would have liked that TM 60… Oh well. Can't win 'em all, I guess.
    • Bought me the TMs for Focus Blast and Fire Blast. Currently, Togetic can only learn Fire Blast. I guess I'll have to wait for my Dawn Stone at the Pokethlon. What a drag… And even then, I've gotta re-teach Togekiss Air Slash and Aura Sphere. I also, on the 2nd floor, bought as many Ultra Balls as I can. I'm catching a Tauros soon, and I want to catch it without having to rely on the Pokéball's shaky Capture Rate. We all saw what happened with Aipom.
    • …I see a train station. I like it. I wanna ride the train! But I can't, cause someone broke it. Whoever they are, they shall pay for their sins, like the heathen they are!
    • Went to the Gym, only to find out that Whitney's being irresponsible and hanging out at the Radio Tower to win a Card. To the tower!
    • …Okay, now you've gotta be kidding me. There's a freaking terrorist outside,someoneidentified him as a member of Team Rocket; no one calls the police. Everyone in Goldenrod is officially useless and/or brain-dead.
    • Got me a Radio Card, which caught Whitney's attention. Apparently, she though Kurt used Apricots, or something like that. Finally, she returned to the kitchen Gym. Now, to go and get a Plain Badge!
    • After entering, and defeating every member of the Gym but Whitney, I took a small respite at the Pokémon Center, healing up those who had been damaged. My mom also called, to let me know that she bought me something. Maybe it's my Dratini?! To the Department Store!
    • …It wasn't a Dratini. Just more berries. Mom, you're making me sad.
    • Gina called me up to talk about how in sync she was getting with her Hoppip, and how she was angry that she couldn't catch a Drowzee.
    • Sorry Whitney, but I'm gonna be needin' that Plain Badge.
    • Stupid damn Fury Swipes keeps hitting only twice.
    • Finally KO'd that annoying Miltank with a Screech/Fury Swipes combination.
    • Oh crap. I made her cry. This… cannot end well for me. Lucky for me, I'm wearing my cup.
    • I stealthily tried to make my exit as Whitney's crying, only to be stopped by one of the Gym Trainers. Apparently, this happens a lot.
    • Well, after Whitney finally calmed down and stopped crying, she gave me the Plain Badge and TM 45, Attract. Badge is great, TM… meh.

• That's three badges in five days. Why can't the Anime progress this damn fast?
    • I know that this is a shameless advertisement, but, if you're looking for Video Game Soundtracks, go to https://www.ostproject.co.cc/. They are one of the best, if not the best, place to get Soundtracks from, and their list of tracks are pretty damn impressive. Let me tell you, nothing is more fun than playing Pokémon, while switching between the Pokémon HeartGold Soundtrack, to the Megamn 10 Soundtrack, to the Resident Evil 4 Soundtrack.
    • Healed up the team at the Pokémon Center before setting out towards the North, and Ecruteak City.
    • I was asked to deliver a letter to someone on Route 31. I turned them down instantly. Sorry, but I'm not playing delivery-boy anymore, and I refuse to do good deeds unless they work in my direct interest.
    • Mom bought me more berries. Seriously mom, can you just get me a Dratini? Or maybe a Jigglypuff? I've always wanted one of those…
    • Decided against teaching Aipom Agility, since I saw no real point in it. Baton Pass is just going to be used once Aipom/Ambipom gets damaged too badly, and I don't plan on passing Speed boosts.
    • Registered the Juggler, Irwin, because apparently, I have fans now.
    • I've gotta tell you, you have no idea how happy I am that Game Freak gave Togepi Extrasensory. Before, in G/S/C, it was so difficult to train Togepi, because you had to rely on TMs or the EXP Share. Now though, backed with Serene Grace and a decent attacking move, the Togepi family is, to quote the Wu Tang Clan, nothin' to **** with.
    • Ran back to the Pokémon Center to heal up, and then hit the road again.
    • Entered the National Park. Left to go to the Pokethlon Dome and… goddammit! Another pedophile! Mother of **** ****!
    • Holy crap. That dome is… big. Hey it's Whitney! How you doin'? Am I a medium or a small? I'm all large, baby. Looks like she forgot here Pokémon. I swear, all the good looking ones are airheads.
    • Left the Pokethlon Dome, enraged at the fact that they don't carry Shiny Stones at this time. I need a goddamn Shiny Stone!
    • Declined the offer to take the Bug Catching Challenge, since it would serve no real purpose, considering that if I were to start a Bug-type Challenge, I'd have to use Caterpie/Weedle/Ledyba/Spinarak since those are the first four Bug-types that appear early in the game. Believe me though, if I could import Eggs with those Pokémon, I'd whip everyone from Faulkner, to Whitney, to Chuck, to Claire. Scyther is just a beast like that.
    • Entered National Park, and I like the scenery. Very serene, very pristine and relaxed.
    • Got a call from Lyra… about Route 46. NEVER SPEAK OF THAT ROUTE IN MY PRESENSE AGAIN, LYRA!
    • Took a picture with my squad in the park. This is going right on my fridge. Wait… do I even own a fridge? What the hell do I eat, anyway? And when!?
    • Got a Quick Claw from a rather bossy woman, which thinks she's a teacher.
    • Met a father, and his cosplaying son. I swear, this world gets weirder and weirder every time I open my eyes.
    • Went behind the fence, walked southward bound and…. Where the hell is TM Dig? Where the hell is TM Dig! Goddammit!
    • Never mind. I found it. Stupid gigantic tree was blocking it from sight.
    • Got a Soothe Bell too, this would have been useful, if Togepi hadn't evolved already.
    • Got a call from Ian, telling me on how, after he learned so much from our battle, he managed to defeat a Ratatta. That's nice Ian. It's good to have fans, and people that idolize you. It makes it easier when you need to borrow cash, or a getaway car.
    • Taught Aipom Double Hit and…YAY! He evolved into an Ambipom! Now he's got four hands, and each one can kick some ass!
    • Met a weird Bird Keeper, who asked me about my balls. Sorry, but those are off-limits.
    • Spoke with Floria, who informed me that the 'tree' blocking the way to Ecruteak wasn't a tree at all, but a Pokémon! This comes as no surprise to me, seeing as I already figured that out when I poked it and the damn thing moved! Now I need to spray it with water… Maybe Totodile can help.
    • *Remembers what happened last time Totodile was out of the PC* …So many bodies. Oh merciful God, why!?
    • Got distracted by the allure of more Game Soundtracks. My iPod is crying from the complete overload of win that it's trying to contain.
    • On my adventures on the Internetz, I came across a wonderful site by the name of https://forums.ffshrine.org/. I would recommend anyone looking for Game Guides, OSTs (that you can't find on ostproject), or basically anything else, to check out that site. I found a Pokémon HeartGold/Soul Silver Strategy Guide (PRIMA) there, and who knows what other treasures you could find?
    Current Team

Name: Rage Bird/Fearow
    Type: Normal/Flying
    Attacks: Peck/Pursuit/Leer/Fury Attack
    Level: 27

Name
    : Ms. Ferret/Furret
    Type: Normal
    Attacks: Tackle/Fury Swipes/Rock Smash/Quick Attack
    Level: 26

Name: Ambipom/Ambipom
    Type: Normal
    Attacks: Double Hit/Screech/Baton Pass/Astonish
    Level: 32

Name: Togetic/Togetic
    Type: Normal/Flying
    Attacks: Extrasensory/Sweet Kiss/Fire Blast/Yawn
    Level: 27

Not much really changed with the team, other than moves and the evolution of Aipom.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Feel free to start over or do whatever you like. Hehe =]

SonofWiseii

Come on in Heeeeerrrre!
    Years
  • Ugh, stupid ROM. Sadly it's all I've got, but I wish it wouldn't freeze so much. :(

Anyway, I'm up and ready to make as little progress as possible! I head up Route 30, and remember that bet I made a little while ago. So I go to check on it and...WHAT!?!?!? WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE LOST!?!? I'M SO MAD I'LL TAKE IT OUT ON THE FEW TRAINERS IN THESE ROUTES! But anyway, the trainers here don't pose too much of a fight. I go ahead and look for a certain rat so I can abuse it for its brethren not being strong enough to take out a stupid pigeon.

So I capture an HM Slave Rattata for Cut and Rock Smash purposes, and get to Violet. After healing up quick, I head out to the western and southern routes for Rock Smash (which I immediately give to Rattata) and a level six Bellsprout to add to the team (respectively)! He's male, and the first thing that pops into my head is...Sparticus. Not sure why.

After a little bit of training (and game freezing :| ) in Sprout Tower, I get Sparticus up to level 10, and decide I've done enough for tonight. Sorry for the short update...

Current Team:

Leif the Chikorita
    Male, level 11
    Moves:
    -Tackle
    -Growl
    -Razor Leaf
    -Poison Powder

Sparticus the Bellsprout
    Male, level 10
    Moves:
    -Vine Whip
    -Growth
    -
    -

HM Slaves:
    Rattata-Rock Smash (Cut, eventually)

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2011
    UPDATES

DAY 1

- Started a new game on Heart Gold
    - Chose Male character, named SILVER
    - Chose a Timid Cyndaquil, named INFRA RED
    - Gained a Town Map addition to my POKe'GEAR
    - Gained Apricorn Box
    - Got POKe'DEX and the EGG
    - Defeated RIVAL
    - Named RIVAL, PRINCE
    - Gave EGG to Professor ELM
    - Decided to let MOM save money for me.
    - Saved in Cherygrove City

CURRENT TEAM

INFRA RED, the Cyndaquil
    Male, Timid Nature
    Blaze, Level 9
    - Tackle
    - Leer
    - Smokescreen

Last edited:

Azumin

Trader/RNGer. ^-^
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    The updates never end!!

I went against Janine but it was no match for Manoswine. I then went against Brock where everybody joined in and helped me win. With another fairly easy gym battle under my belt, I took off to Cinnabar Island to battle Blaine....but he wasn't there...

EDIT:

I proceeded to a nearby island east of Cinnabar and whaddaya know? He was in there in a makeshift gym. The battle
    was actually kinda easy besides the obvious fire>ice advantage. Dewgong and Mamoswine performed well. I then talked to Blue and flew to Viridian City. I traversed the odd step pads that propelled me forward, sideways, and backwards. It was dizzying but I managed it. I finally made it to Blue where I immediately began a battle. Overall, many of his pokemon were strong against my type...but at the same time he also had some weaknesses I exposed. He began with Exeggutor so I finished it off with repeated ice shards. His Rhydon was up next so I 2HKO'd it with Earthquake. He then sent out his Arcanine which was tough but I finished it off with Mamoswine/Dewgong. Machamp turned out to be quite tough so he beat Mamoswine and I sent out jynx to use psychic. It knocked off a huge chunk of hp but not enough for a faint. It used stone edge and finished Jynx. I then sent out Glaceon where I somehow managed to pull off Blizzard while Machamp healed up. It was a OHKO. His Gyarados was also tough but amazingly I froze it with just one of Dewgong's Ice beam. I revived my mamoswine (because at that point Jynx, Glaceon, and Mamoswine had fainted from Machamp and gyarados. I used rock slide twice to finish Gyarados and then his Pidgeot was left. The battle was in my favor at last so I used ice shard with 4 HP left on Mamoswinr and then Pidgeot used whirlwind. I used Ice beam with Dewgong and that was it. Challenge completed.

Spoiler:

End quote: I've never had to use so many potions, revives, super potions, revives, max potions, hyper potions, full restores...you name it! It was fun though =]

I thought challenged ended after beating red? Nvm saw the OP, must be thinking of the the old thread.

Last edited:

MudkipRush!!!

Epic Fail Trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2010
    I'm starting again. Bug's waaaaay too easy, and not really very fun.

Imah do Rock this time. It's another type I haven't used yet and one that I believe has a history of sucking.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2011
    UPDATE 2

DAY 2

- Caught a Ratatta (For Cut, Rock Smash early game.)
    - Went up to route 30
    - Got my way up to route 31
    - Made it into Violet City,
    - Saved in the POKE Center

INFRA RED, the Cyndaquil
    Male, Timid Nature
    Blaze, Level 11
    - Tackle
    - Leer
    - Smokescreen
    - Ember

HM Slaves

- Ratatta: (For CUT/Rock Smash)

MudkipRush!!!

Epic Fail Trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2010
    Changing to Dragon Type, started again, traded in a Dratini with Extreme Speed :D

Blitzed everything with Dragon Rage, when it obeyed me, of course.
    One shotted both of Falkner's pokemon, although it took a while for it to obey me.

Went through Union Cave, pwned everyone.

Now I'm off to abuse Team Rocket, then the bug gym. Hopefully I won't have reached 20 by then. :/

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Mudkiprush damn just pick one and get it over with lmao

I thought challenged ended after beating red? Nvm saw the OP, must be thinking of the the old thread.

The old thread also had it after the 16 badges. He never mentioned Red.... lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back