• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wet Sand (PG-15)

Years
  • Before this first chapter is posted, I would like to thank everyone who has persuaded me to put out a fanfic. I wrote this fanfic about one and a half months ago under another name with a longer first chapter. After a lot of editing to the characters and adding the rest of the chapter over to other chapters, I've finished. Please enjoy this fan-fic.

PG-15 rating for minor swearing and probably other stuff I'll add in the future.

Future chapters will be longer than this one, and please be aware that this is my first professional fanfic.

Wet Sand

Chapter One

"I'm coming home soon, Maureen." He said to his mother when he called her from his cell phone. He hadn't seen her for three months, but that was more than enough time for both of them to put their differences aside.

"But when will you be here? The cold isn't helping me around here and I'm bored as hell." she responded. "I don't know how I'm going to hold up. You know, this is the first Christmas without your father."

"I don't know when I'll be there. The train is moving slowly, but if the conductor is right, the train should be in Armoren in 3 and a half hours. There is snow all around me, and I'm happy were going slow."

"That's how you always are, wanting to take things slow."

"Don't start this now."

"By the way, were watching the neighbor's kid for the week. Cute girl, and she's 18, just like you."

"Just don't tell me-"

"She's sleeping in your room, on your bed, and you'll be on the couch."

"Jesus Christ, ma. You tell me last second were having someone over. I don't have a problem, but in my room, in my bed? You know, we have a guest room."

"You're grandpa is also staying the weekend, too."

"For Gods' Sake!"

"Oh, cut the crap. You know, you need to be more respectful of other people and how they feel. Joe still hasn't completely gotten over your Grandmas' death. They were married 40 years. If only me and your father-" She was choking up with regret and sorrow, and was on the verge of tears.

"Ma?"

"I'll see you when you get here. Love you."

"Love you too, ma."

"By the way, what is the girl's name?"

"Oh, it's-" Right then and there, his one bar service final ceased.

"She'll understand." he said to himself.

For the next 3 and a half hours, he thought about many things. How Grandpa was, bless the man's heart. Grandma loved him so much, and he couldn't leave his thoughts about her and move on, even though she died seven years ago. And that girl, he had never seen her before. He only saw the father of the house ever step out, each morning the year before when he was in High School. The rest of the time, he was listening to his iPod, scrolling through his 4,500+ songs and watching episodes of Modern Family that he had bought, before he knew it, the train stopped at the Armoren Train Station.

Once the train pulled up in Armoren, he hopped into his car, which his mother had driven for him to drive home in. He hated even being in the car with her, as she wasn't the best driver, and still hadn't fully forgiven her for what she did to the family last October, when his Dad took his own life. He just wanted to forget what happened, and turned to his favorite radio station.

He turned to 103.7 ACO Rock & Metal. The song playing was one of his favorites, Heaven beside You by Alice in Chains:

Like the coldest winter chill

Heaven beside you, Hell within

Like the coldest winter chill

Like the coldest winter wind

And you know you have it still,

Heaven inside you.

He was singing along, word for word, as he would for any song he recognized. It wasn't the best song to listen to while trying to forget the past for now, but he loved it and couldn't resist.

The town of Armoren was quiet and cozy, with small murmurs here and there, like the event that happened to him last year. The suburb that was about 30 miles outside of Boise felt like it was in the middle of nowhere, because most of the town was farm land. However, there was it quirks. A movie theater, shopping complex, and oddly enough, a professional zoo were what the town was known for. It had a huge amount of farmland in addition to recreational businesses.

The ride home took about 20 minutes, mostly because he himself forgot half of the way home. However, when he pulled up to the house, the girl that would be staying with them was walking into the house. She was shocked to see him.

"Oh, hello!" She exclaimed as she ran up to his car. He slowly pulled into the driveway and shut off the car.

After a small period of darkness, the only thing he could say was "Hello." He was frozen with excitement and fear He had never met a girl that was as beautiful as her. She didn't even wear any mascara, and he could tell that. She was a sight for anyone to see. Maybe that's why she was never aloud out of the house, he thought to himself.

"Well, what is your name?" She could tell that he was in awe at her, as the few people she had met in her life were.

"Oh, it's-" Before he could finish his sentence, his mother and grandpa pull up in his expensive and classy Lincoln Town Car. It took both of them a few minutes to get out of the car, as they continued to talk even when they both knocked on the windows to say hello. They were both shooed away.

"Hello, son." The mother said to her son. Grandpa did the same thing.

"Hello Mom and Grandpa." He gave both of them a quick and emotionless hug, as he was in a rush to know about her.

"Well, let's go inside," said the Grandpa. "I'm freezing my ass off out here."

"Oh, grandpa." The old man always knew how to make his grandson smile.

And they all went inside.

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
    Years
  • Interesting, I'm actually wondering to what the plot is about. Though, I suggest adding more description like...Does the main character have brown hair? Is he tall? How does he feel about having a stranger in his room after his call ended?

Ωmega

Four score and seven years ago
    Years
  • Just glancing at it, it looks interesting. However, one thing I would change is the formatting of the text. The centering of the text kinda throws me off.

Other than that, it's good. I wonder where this is going to go.

Years
  • I'm trying to get the next chapter to be about double as long as this one. So, I'm hoping it will be done by this Sunday or Monday at the latest.

Eeveemaster9; I will try to find a way to add a discription of him in, but no names of the boy or girl are going to be added. I want to readers to think of them.

Ωmega: I was guessing this was going to happen. I'll fix it now and keep it like that for the future.

Thank you guys for the constructive critisism. I hope to make the next chapter better than this one.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • You say that this is your "first professional fanfic." Aside from the fact that it's not "professional" unless you're doing it as a job/career, I can't tell what fandom this is a fic for (it's obviously not Pokemon). A fanfic isn't just a non-published piece of writing, it has to be tied to an existing media creation. If it's just your own story and not a fanfic, that's fine too, but I'd like some clarification.

Also, you still haven't fixed the centering of the text. It's seriously harder to read that way. And you shouldn't really use non-default fonts, either, as they can be harder to read on different forum skins. There's a button in the top-left corner of the edit window that removes text formatting.

That aside, there are a significant number of grammatical mistakes in your story, to the point where it's frequently distracting for me to read.

"I'm coming home soon, Maureen." He said to his mother when he called her from his cell phone.
    There should be a comma there, not a period, because the words that follow are really part of the same sentence.

in 3 and a half hours
    In general, you should write out smaller numbers. This page has the exact rules on it.

"By the way, were watching the neighbor's kid for the week.
    Missing apostrophe for the contraction. I'm sure that's a typo.

"You're grandpa is also staying the weekend, too."
    "You're" should be written as "your," because it's a possessive instead of a contraction. This other thing is optional, because it could just be that Maureen isn't very verbally agile: "Also" and "too" mean the same thing here, so you only need one or the other. That's called a redundancy.

"For Gods' Sake!"
    Joe still hasn't completely gotten over your Grandmas' death.
    When using an apostrophe to indicate possession and there is only one of the subject the apostrophe goes before the 's.' So, unless he's referring to more than one god and more than one grandma, it should be "God's" and "grandma's." Also, both sentences have a capitalization problem. Improper nouns don't get capitalized, like "sake." "Grandma" is a little more complicated:

Correct: hasn't gotten over Grandma's death.

Correct: hasn't gotten over your grandma's death.
    If you're using "Grandma" as a person's name, it's capitalized, but if you're referring to the person as "a/your grandma," it's not.

There are plenty of other mistakes in there, and I think it'd be better if you tried to find them yourself.

As for the story itself, it seems interesting enough, and I'm wondering what the details of the tragedy involving his dad could be. One thing seemed strange to me, though, and that's that the girl was never allowed (not "aloud," check your spelling) out of her house, possibly just for being pretty. If this is actually the case, I find it a little incredulous and very disturbing. If that's what you're going for, then alright, but otherwise...*shiver*.

To be honest, my enjoyment of the story was limited by all the issues in readability, as well as a general lack of clarity in the writing. For example, when it seems like the main character's mother is asking him what the girl's name is, I was confused because the only girl who had been mentioned so far in the conversation was the one staying at their house, whose name the main character doesn't know. I couldn't tell if his mother was talking about some other girl or if you had made a new paragraph by mistake. And later, I first got the impression that he was driving home from the station with his mother, but then it turned out they were driving separately. I'm still not sure what was going on there.

Before you post your next chapter, I think you should spend some time revising this one.

Last edited:

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Bonjour, Monsieur kidpunk.

Since anon's so kindly provided you with a grammatical review, I guess that I'll be the one to go into the stuff about plot and characterization that most people, particularly reviewers, seem so keen on touching when analysing a piece of fiction, in this case yours. That was a long-winded way of saying, "Hey, let's review your fic!"

First off, let's talk plot. At a glance, it seems like your standard-fair romance piece interspersed with domestic and or familial dispute for good measure. Otherwise, it's just a Christmas-themed rom-com. I'm fine with either, but you're not making it too easy for the reader to figure it out are you. Throughout, you've managed to refrain from revealing the girl's (the love interest) name in quite a clichéd, though I won't deny effective, fashion, which I find to be a bit stifling to the plot and, at the same time, quite generic for a rom-com and or standard romance. Why do I find it stifling? That's because by explicitly refusing to reveal the name of the love interest, you're basically leading yourself into a situation wherein the protagonist and the LI have a (semi)dramatic reveal which adds to their relationship and overall romantic feel of the piece. This isn't inherently bad, and I admit that a fair few romantic pieces have used this quite successfully, but in this case, it's just a bit overused since, as I've mentioned, a lot of pieces have used it before. You're not really trying hard to separate yourself from the flock are you? If, however, this isn't your intention and you really just don't want to reveal her name, and am just going to reveal it in a casual manner somewhere in the next few chapters, it'll be seen as wasting a perfectly good opportunity since you've got the setup for the situation all completed. So yeah, while it's not technically a bad thing, I just find it a bit jarring.

"Hello, son." The mother said to her son. Grandpa did the same thing.

"Hello Mom and Grandpa." He gave both of them a quick and emotionless hug, as he was in a rush to know about her.
    Next, we've got this segment here. The first part which bothers me to no end is the part when the protagonist's mother says, "Hello, son," Not only is that grammatically incorrect, (seeing as the following sentence is a dialogue tag and you've neglected to add a comma following the end of the quote) it's also semantically awkward. What mother refers to her child simply as 'son' or 'daughter'? Quite frankly, that's a very unemotional mode of address, and you'd be better suited to actually naming the child, rather than leaving it vague. The next sentence follows on in the same vein. "Hello Mom and Grandpa," sounds exceedingly mechanical, specifically with the inclusion of 'and' in the extract. Here, the usage of 'and', though grammatically correct this time, is, again, semantically awkward seeing as the use of lists in writing is a double-edged sword. To explain, when you list out something in writing, you give inadvertently give it a particular effect (the (in)famous rule of three in comedy is an example). Listing can either emphasize specific list elements, drawing the reader's attention and thus making the narrative slightly more dramatic, or it can serve as a method of grouping together a group of objects. In the case of the extract, by adding that extra 'and' in the middle, you're basically drawing the reader's attention towards the two characters instead of the off-handed effect you were trying to achieve prior. I'd suggest changing it to, "Hello, Mom, Grandpa," or "Hello, Mom. Grandpa," so that you get the effect of him saying Hello Mother and also acknowledging his Grandfather, instead of Hello Mother and Hello Grandfather individually. Remember, he's in a hurry to get to the girl and he's dismissing them in an off-hand manner. Why is he being so formal?

Well, anyway, I think I've written a bit much, and I may have veered on a tangent somewhere in there, but overall, at the moment, there's not much I can say about your fic aside from that it's a tad clichéd in places. What I'm saying is, there are no, as if yet, defining characteristics that I notice which set it apart from any other romantic fiction piece.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I have to agree with Magic Legume's point that this was difficult to read. It's hard to follow because of the lack of information given to the reader. I know that you don't want to provide names, but that makes it hard for the reader to tell who's who. Personally, it's also hard for me to want to read more about these characters because I don't even know their name. And in a romantic story, you kind of want to have readers know your characters so that they can cheer them on as they try to get together. It also makes the story awkward to read because it seems as if you're forcing the characters to act oddly just to not reveal this information. I can tell that the story isn't flowing as it could because of this.

The story was also confusing because of the lack of information as to what's going on. There seemed to be a rush to get from point A to point B that things got left behind. Like how the characters feel, or even how they got to the next scene. (The mother drove the car up, and the son drove it home? But he complained about his mother's driving like she was driving?) Slow down the narration in general, especially since you seem to be aiming for longer chapters. Taking the time to tell the story will help there.

Also, why does the main character start off calling his mother by her real name and then called her "mother" later on? Same with the mother and grandfather. I can understand that this family might have some issues to deal with and wouldn't be too friendly with one another. But you should have them be consistent in what they do. Don't have one character call another character something and then never have them use it again. It's just confusing.

Some edits really need to be done to this first chapter before posting the next one. You don't want to lose readers early on from simple confusion. Work on the first chapter a bit using the reviews given to improve it and future chapters.

Back