• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Art Design in a Game?

Years
    • Seen today
    Yes yes, love this thread. I love aesthetics, naturally gameplay is highly more important to me, but visuals are something I feel add a great deal of immersion and depth to gaming.

First on my list, is one that springs to mind Bioshock Infinite
    Probably one of the most fantastic, and beautiful games of this decade. Incredible art direction, with a perfect balance of light and dark thematics. The character design was flawless, with Booker and Elizabeth sharing this extreme visual bond that was so evident, even though you were playing a first person shooter. There hasn't been a game that does the up in the clouds theme so well at all. Zelda's Twilight Princess, is one that comes to mind that has done an area in the sky, but it went nowhere near the quality of Columbia in Infinite. It was a joy to actually explore the visuals, as much as play the game. That's rare for me.

The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker
    Of course this was going to make it on my list. The Wind Waker is probably the most beautiful on the hardware it was released on. It has such clever design and aesthetics, and was so original for its time. It was a pivot point in TLoZ series for graphic style and art design. It brought games like Skyward Sword so forward it visual style, as well as many of their handheld games such as Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass. Beautiful game, I would argue that even now, the art style stands out ahead of modern games.

Borderlands 1 & 2
    Borderlands was one of the first ever games to really achieve the cartoon comic book style. XIII did a good job at it much before, but Borderlands actually had such beautiful design on characters as well as the world they created. Not only was it visually appealing, simple, yet striking, but the way they created their world was so original in its time. It's hard to get players to want to play in a wasteland without making it look like Fallout 3, but Borderlands brought a dead world to life, and that was an incredible feat in their art department.

The Last of Us
    It's thanks to the art department that this game felt so on point. While the pacing, and the story were fantastic, the visual style had a big part to play in the game. Creating an original and detailed looking post-apocalyptic world using old (PS3) hardware was not easy to do. Not only that, but they made their characters feel so real due to their design and relatable looks. They weren't overly striking, everyone looked like a real person who was suitably hardened by the end of the world. The creature design was also incredible, I imagine the art department had a lot of fun working on Clickers...let's face it, one of the scariest damn things in gaming, ever.

Limbo
    One of the more simplistic looking games on this list, however their eye for design is impeccable. The dark, and flat art style of the game really led to the uneasiness of the whole experience. It's such a pretty game though, it's so simple, yet so beautiful thanks to the art department shipping that one out just right. Certainly a worthy mention on this list.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker
    Of course this was going to make it on my list. The Wind Waker is probably the most beautiful on the hardware it was released on. It has such clever design and aesthetics, and was so original for its time. It was a pivot point in TLoZ series for graphic style and art design. It brought games like Skyward Sword so forward it visual style, as well as many of their handheld games such as Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass. Beautiful game, I would argue that even now, the art style stands out ahead of modern games.

Ah yes, I love this game's art. <3 You should check out the Wii U version's cell shading!

Best Art Design in a Game?

It's really remarkable, and I love this cartoonish style! I hope that they will incorporate that to Zelda games more often!

Another title that I love the artwork in would have to be Tales of Xillia. The graphics style is also pretty impressive for the PS3, and I love how the attacks just sync together into an artistic eye candy, with all the lights and colors blended together.<3

Oh god, I also love the graphics from Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Sooo amazing! <33

Years
  • The Last of Us
    It's thanks to the art department that this game felt so on point. While the pacing, and the story were fantastic, the visual style had a big part to play in the game. Creating an original and detailed looking post-apocalyptic world using old (PS3) hardware was not easy to do. Not only that, but they made their characters feel so real due to their design and relatable looks. They weren't overly striking, everyone looked like a real person who was suitably hardened by the end of the world. The creature design was also incredible, I imagine the art department had a lot of fun working on Clickers...let's face it, one of the scariest damn things in gaming, ever.

Agreed. Not only are the graphics exceptionally done for the game, but the overall art design/style played a significant role in presenting the player the environment that creators were looking to immerse them in. We don't know what an apocalyptic world would look like, but we have ideas and the graphics department for that game absolutely put them together quite flawlessly. With the exception of the occasional glitch here and there XD

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I love the art for several games tbh, picking one that I love above all the others was really hard but for me it has to be Ni No Kuni, I love the style of the game, it goes very well with how the game as a whole feels and fits in together and thiis from a person who doesn't normally like the graphics style to look as colourful and bright as that as I normally prefer darker games that to me was a totally amazing graphical look to it.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I love the art for several games tbh, picking one that I love above all the others was really hard but for me it has to be Ni No Kuni, I love the style of the game, it goes very well with how the game as a whole feels and fits in together and thiis from a person who doesn't normally like the graphics style to look as colourful and bright as that as I normally prefer darker games that to me was a totally amazing graphical look to it.
    Ghibli animation does wonders =D I think every anime fan knows it and loved the Ni no Kuni animation =D
    I personally loved it as well (not as much as Okami, though =D) it but it kinda felt more kiddish than it could have been =/

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • Would be The Last Of Us for me for it's realism and Borderlands for its cartoony yet amazing art design. There are many great games that have great art design but these are the ones that stand out for me.

Back