• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Ace Attorney Prequel Announced!

Years
    New Ace Attorney Prequel Announced!

So, it was announced that Shu Takumi, the creator of the Ace Attorney series, is returning to the series for the creation of Dai Gyakuten Saiban - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken, or Grand Turnabout Trial - The Adventures of Naruhodou Ryuunosuke. It features an ancestor of fan-favorite, Phoenix Wright as the main character (who's wielding a sword!). Apparently, it takes place during the Meiji era of Japan (think 1868 - 1912).

I'm beyond excited for this installment. I hope it gets localized! I'm sure it will, seeing how Dual Destinies did relatively well. Also, yay Shu being in charge again. I hope he'll also lead GS6. GS5 just wasn't the same without him imo ):

Discuss! :3

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I hope it gets localized too but I do not envy the poor localization team if they're tackling a Meiji-era game and are adamant about sticking to their California setting. I swear it's like with each game, Capcom Japan trolls Capcom USA more and more. :P

I'm excited just because it's more Ace Attorney with Shu Takumi at the helm but... I'm admittedly not entire sure how I feel about it taking place in the Meiji era. Are we really never going to get closure on all of Apollo's plotlines? :( Are they just gonna pretend AA4 never happened? I was already really disappointed with how AA5 handled everything from AA4 and now they seem to be moving even further away from that. I'm sure it'll be good, and I'll probably love it, but right now it feels like it's not what I'm looking for in the series.

Auugh Meiji Era though!! :( Any chance I had of importing it just shot way down because if I'd have struggled enough with AA5 and its modern Japanese legal/police terminology, there's no way I'll manage Japanese from a hundred years ago. /cries

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I just saw this in the gaming DCC not long ago, really excited for it as well! Was just saying localization could be tough if it happens, since all the AA games so far have supposedly taken place in America.

Just gonna leave this here, too.
    Spoiler:

They still have not translated AAI2 yet though, that's been out for years in Japan, wonder why that is.

Also, I had no idea GS5 had a new director, no wonder it felt so different.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Oh, glad to see that you made a thread for it (though, in retrospect, that might have been the best idea to begin with). I guess I'll just paste my bit here, then.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/04/new_ace_attorney_title_to_take_place_in_the_past

The game, Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Ryuunosuke Naruhodou no Bouken, which roughly translates out (with my limited understanding of the Japanese language) to "Greater Turnabout: The Adventure of Ryuunosuke Naruhodo" (Nintendolife translates it as "Grand Revival of the Turnabout: The Adventures of Ryuunosuke Naruhodo, which is probably more accurate), takes place in Meiji Era Japan and is directed by the creator of the series and and director of the original trilogy, Shu Takumi.

Those of you who know Phoenix Wright's Japanese name, Ryuuichi Naruhodo, will quickly relate the two, and it's safe to say that Ryuunosuke is Phoenix's ancestor. I'm interested to see if this will come over given the setting; after all, the Ace Attorney series has taken great care in moving the setting from Japan to America. Some people speculate that, rather than Meiji Japan, it will take place in Civil-War (or more appropriately, Post-Civil War) America. Given the effort that would take due to the differences between contemporary America and contemporary Japan compared to Meiji-era Japan and post-Civil War America, I speculate that Phoenix's ancestor will either remain Japanese or the game just simply won't be brought over, which is a shame, because I'm excited to experience yet another Shu Takumi tale.

Cherrim

Years
    Civil War era, hm? I guess that could be interesting but I'm not sure how they'll get around all the inevitable Shinto references. Can't really claim "Japanese immigrants" this time around. :P
    They still have not translated AAI2 yet though, that's been out for years in Japan, wonder why that is.
    I'm not sure the sales for the original Investigations were high enough to merit bringing the sequel here. It would have cost more to localize and distribute the game in the West than they would have made back, I think they said. It might be doable now if they can distribute full DS games on eShop (since they're no stranger to selling just in that format anymore) but it's such an old game I don't think it would get enough attention anyway. :(

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I'm not sure the sales for the original Investigations were high enough to merit bringing the sequel here. It would have cost more to localize and distribute the game in the West than they would have made back, I think they said. It might be doable now if they can distribute full DS games on eShop (since they're no stranger to selling just in that format anymore) but it's such an old game I don't think it would get enough attention anyway. :(

Ah, that makes sense. Shame, I really liked AAI. I did see a fan-made translation of the sequel that's in the works; it looks pretty good, at least from what I've seen in the Youtube videos.

Years
    Yeah, I heard the sales were pretty rough, so they didn't bother bringing it over. I do believe the fan translation has three cases done so far, though. I'll give it a try when it's done n_n

..lol, the Civil War era? That'd..be a stretch, for sure. Haha. Maybe it can be set in Japan, and have it be implied his later descendants (Nick's great grandfather or something) immigrated to America. :B

Cherrim

Years
    Yeah, I heard the sales were pretty rough, so they didn't bother bringing it over. I do believe the fan translation has three cases done so far, though. I'll give it a try when it's done n_n

..lol, the Civil War era? That'd..be a stretch, for sure. Haha. Maybe it can be set in Japan, and have it be implied his later descendants (Nick's great grandfather or something) immigrated to America. :B
    Ohhh really? I didn't realize they were that far along. I hope they manage to finish it. It's a little depressing when fan translations get close to the end and then just taper off. :( I do wish it could have an official localization, though. The Ace Attorney localizations are just so good. I find them a lot snarkier than the original content and I love that kind of humour so much.

I really like that idea, but I also feel like after all this time it would almost be a cop-out to just outright switch the setting to Japan, finally, hahaha.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years

And we got a teaser trailer.

I'm intrigued. I liked Dual Destinies, but it never struck me as "right", I guess. Might have to do with Shu Takumi not being involved. So, I'm relieved to hear that Shu Takumi will be at the helm of this project. Very curious on how some of the cases will be handled especially in the new setting. Not gonna lie though, I would've preferred another game involving Apollo, but this seems to be a fine substitute.

Also, I think Capcom USA will have a pretty hard time trying to twist the game's setting into something American. I mean, look at those backgrounds. Unless they're doing some extensive background editing, everything so far is screaming Japanese.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Also, I think Capcom USA will have a pretty hard time trying to twist the game's setting into something American. I mean, look at those backgrounds. Unless they're doing some extensive background editing, everything so far is screaming Japanese.

the whole game will take place in a Japanese restaurant in the localization

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    News to me, probably not to others, but apparently the game is called The Great Ace Attorney and is the start of a new subseries in the franchise.

Oh, and here's an interview with Takumi

I am really looking forward to this. I need to catch up on these games and stat (I've only played the original trilogy)

Years
    WHOA at the trailer. That's incredibly exciting.
    I'm all pumped now. I can't wait for the localization. n_n
    Like, I hope the lady is a prosecutor. :<

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Interesting. I do wonder if they'll attempt to pass it off as an american setting or not, haha. Although I guess the bigger question is if it'll come outside of Japan first... anyone know how the sales for the last AA game went?

Years
    According to what I read, they said it met projected sales..which, can't be TOO bad.
    But, then again, I wonder if they were expecting that much? :< but yeah, all I've seen is "It met the goals", so hopefully that's enough ):

Years
    This is looking interesting though the setting and concept does appear bizarre.

I still need to play Dual Destinies before I get hyped for this entry though. (Maybe I could do with playing the Edgeworth games too, but they interest me less)

Back