• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yu-Gi-Oh!

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
  • I kinda want to get back into Yu-Gi-Oh!. I stopped watching after the first season of 5Ds - I absolutely loathe what they did to Aki - and then they decided to change the terminology and introduce a load of new card variations. Now they've just added pendulum summoning in as well and I think I might be too far out of the loop to get back into it...

...I have fond memories of the original series though, and whilst GX was absolutely diabolical, it introduced some pretty fantastic new cards. I'd be more inclined to play the handheld titles than watch the series these days to be honest. xD

I feel your pain. I have so many yu gi oh cards from when it was first introduced up to and through GX but I haven't played it for a good couple of years. Then last week one of my friends let me use a deck of his and there was so much stuff that I just didn't understand that I could have won with what I had, but I didn't understand how to play half of it.

And they have the original yu gi oh on Netflix now and there's also the abridged version on youtube and TFS's site that is pretty good.

Strom Thunder

The Apocalypse :D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2014
    Reminds me of Childhood :3 I used to be an YGO Geek, Not an Anime geek in my days of teenage, I Really have to give it to YGO when it comes to entertaining the kids. I miss those days, I left this kind of addiction ages ago. Watching some Matured anime these days. But Detective Conan Is an execption.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • So I finished ZEXAL recently, and wow...that series was pretty darn good. Easily my favorite of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series. I originally started watching it as a joke, having previously only seen the original and GX, and considering all how it was regarded by the masses and the introduction of what was at the time the relatively new XYZ mechanic, I planned to watch one or two episodes.

Then I kept watching, and after realizing that Yuma and the story were a lot easier to take seriously in Japanese (if only because of his nasally, high-pitched voice in the dub), I got into it, and it only got better as it went. It had the best main girl (surprisingly, as she doesn't duel but still manages to contribute quite a bit). Actually, all of the female characters in this show are better than I expected, since, at least as for as YGO and GX are concerned, the series isn't the best at developing three dimensional female characters. Here, though, they're pretty well done for Yu-Gi-Oh! standards (and that leaks into Arc-V as well, so far). On that, Kotori's role as main girl and cheer leader is interesting here. Unlike Tea/Anzu, who was a friend who very obviously was romantic interest in character form who basically only cheered on the sidelines (though she did contribute at points), Kotori's relationship with Yuma is actually pretty endearing and, like Kotori, is three dimensional. She cares about him to the extent that, on more than one occasion, she is the key to his victory. She's smart and brave, and probably most importantly, she knows Yuma better than he knows himself. Rather than just being on the sideline during duels (which, physically, she is), she plays a similar role to Astral, just without the dueling tips. And she fights, but that's something else entirely. I originally didn't really care for most of the "main friend crew", namely Catherine, "Flip" Tokunosuke, and "Caswell" Todoroki, often being annoyed when they tagged along, wishing it was just Kotori and possibly Bronk, too, but then the last season happened.

They tried to pass Yuma off as an annoying loudmouth (hence why he has a nonsensical catchphrase) but failed, instead making him a character whose pain I actually felt and one that I wanted to win. Oddly, they also try to push the notion that Yuma isn't all too great a duelist on his own and that he needs Astral to win, like Yugi Muto if he were newer to dueling, but interestingly, he wins most duels at least mostly, if not completely on his own. Though as the series progresses, there might be slight implications that the show is aware of this.

Granted, once I got to ZEXAL II I put the show on hiatus for a while due to fear of filler, but surprisingly ZEXAL as a whole had very little filler and, in II, it was used for the establishment of the villains (and character development, which works very well due to what happens mid-late season). I also thought it could be unfittingly silly at times, such as the blowback from taking damage being far more frequent than before ,Yuma's compulsory need to lift himself off the ground whenever he draws (he gets better), and various poses that are taken. But the story was interesting and it did well to invest you in the characters, taking some aspects from it's older brothers but ultimately being pretty original. It does twists pretty well as well, and it doesn't really coddle the viewer in the way that I would expect a show of that target audience to. Also, apparently the creator of director of ZEXAL was a fan of Kill la Kill and/or Gurren Lagann, because it very clearly takes influence from them (definitely for the better).

Though, I will say this: if you're going to watch ZEXAL, I recommend watching it in Japanese. Having Sean Schemmel (the voice of Goku) as the new Joey character is pretty amazing, and the voices are pretty solid (with the name changes being relatively tame...at times: Kotori Mizuki -> Tori Meadows, Tetsu -> Bronk, Kamishiro "Shark" Ryouga -> Reginald Kastle), but the problem comes with...Yuma. He's a legitimately good character, but I can completely understand if that high-pitched dub voice perverts whatever feelings you have for him into boiling hate. I'm not the type that'll push subs onto people, mainly because I like subs and dubs equally, but here...you're stepping into dangerous territory. That and the Japanese openings are fantastic:

Spoiler:

And the last ending theme (which is definitely spoilers if you haven't gotten there yet) hits harder after each episode. That, and I don't know how they handle death in the dub. Also, Yuma's catchphrase in the dub is "I'm feeling the flow!" (and the gem "Get set to get decked"), from the nonsensical phrase "Kattobingu da, ore!" The most appropriate translation I've seen in subs, and the one I think works best, is "I'll bring it to 'em", since it can (and has) been very easily adapted into sentences.

Last edited:

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • I kinda want to get back into Yu-Gi-Oh!. I stopped watching after the first season of 5Ds - I absolutely loathe what they did to Aki - and then they decided to change the terminology and introduce a load of new card variations. Now they've just added pendulum summoning in as well and I think I might be too far out of the loop to get back into it...

...I have fond memories of the original series though, and whilst GX was absolutely diabolical, it introduced some pretty fantastic new cards. I'd be more inclined to play the handheld titles than watch the series these days to be honest. xD

I only watched most of the original season and at least 2 seasons of GX (Still meaning to get to the end), and I decided to also go into Zexal and Arv-5, I had no trouble with watching. Still don't know much about Pendulum summoning, but that doesn't hinder me, still enjoy the show. 5Ds I only seen a few episodes of, and I say I'm more confused with that. Still don't really understand Synchros and all their terms in the series.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I only watched most of the original season and at least 2 seasons of GX (Still meaning to get to the end), and I decided to also go into Zexal and Arv-5, I had no trouble with watching. Still don't know much about Pendulum summoning, but that doesn't hinder me, still enjoy the show. 5Ds I only seen a few episodes of, and I say I'm more confused with that. Still don't really understand Synchros and all their terms in the series.
    Relevant. Also relevant.

Interesting how in so few words those videos can accurately describe how anyone who enjoyed the series as a kid that comes back after GX generation feels.

But Synchro summoning is pretty simple, and I didn't understand it at first either, deciding to get back into the game (and going straight to XYZ, which are still the only type of Extra Deck cards that I use). If you know how Xyz summoning works, it's kinda like that mixed with Fusion. Or I guess it'd be better to say that it parallels it. Synchro Monsters use Tuners, which is a specific type of monster like, say, Junk Warrior. Sometimes they'll have specific requirements, but unlike XYZ summons, the level of the tuner and the other monster(s) has to equal that of the Synchro Monster you're trying to summon.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Relevant. Also relevant.

Interesting how in so few words those videos can accurately describe how anyone who enjoyed the series as a kid that comes back after GX generation feels.

But Synchro summoning is pretty simple, and I didn't understand it at first either, deciding to get back into the game (and going straight to XYZ, which are still the only type of Extra Deck cards that I use). If you know how Xyz summoning works, it's kinda like that mixed with Fusion. Or I guess it'd be better to say that it parallels it. Synchro Monsters use Tuners, which is a specific type of monster like, say, Junk Warrior. Sometimes they'll have specific requirements, but unlike XYZ summons, the level of the tuner and the other monster(s) has to equal that of the Synchro Monster you're trying to summon.
    Synchro summoning is pretty simple but hell of a pain to do...
    Unless you have at least half of monsters tuners, it's hard to actually find suitable tuner...
    By all means, I prefer XYZ :D

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • Synchro summoning is pretty simple but hell of a pain to do...
    Unless you have at least half of monsters tuners, it's hard to actually find suitable tuner...

Not necessarily. I see where you're coming from, but Synchros are actually effortless if you understand how their decks function. You see, instead of hoping to draw out a tuner, you should force them into your hand with cards that search them out, like "Tuning." With only nine tuners in the entire deck, you can accomplish this on your first turn:
    Spoiler:

Notice that I Synchro Summoned 8 times in a single turn (15 card extra deck; only 7 remaining) using graveyard revivals and Librarian + Formula Synchron as a draw engine.

But yes, as a Shark player, I also like Xyz Monsters. To be honest, it's perfectly fine to stay away from Synchros, as everyone is entitled to their own preferences.

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Not necessarily. I see where you're coming from, but Synchros are actually effortless if you understand how their decks function. You see, instead of hoping to draw out a tuner, you should force them into your hand with cards that search them out, like "Tuning." With only nine tuners in the entire deck, you can accomplish this on your first turn:
    Spoiler:

Notice that I Synchro Summoned 8 times in a single turn (15 card extra deck; only 7 remaining) using graveyard revivals and Librarian + Formula Synchron as a draw engine.

But yes, as a Shark player, I also like Xyz Monsters. To be honest, it's perfectly fine to stay away from Synchros, as everyone is entitled to their own preferences.
    Yea, you are completely right, if you have deck built around tuners/Synchro monsters then yea, you can do this (great turn btw =D). But if you only use them as supporters, it's a pain to do =)

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • Yea, you are completely right, if you have deck built around tuners/Synchro monsters then yea, you can do this (great turn btw =D). But if you only use them as supporters, it's a pain to do =)

Haha, yeah. Sorry for going a bit nuts back there. But now that you put it that way, you are right.

I remember trying to throw in "Fishborg Archer" (a level 3 tuner) into my Xyz-centered Shark deck, but things didn't really work out, eheh.

Back