• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
Ok so this is something that I've never had happen before. I added some 32x32 sprites into a rom and they show fine in nse and a-map and then in vba they dont move. they just face down and slide. I've inserted hundreds of sprites and not once had this happen. Anyone know of a fix?

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 18, 2024
Ok so this is something that I've never had happen before. I added some 32x32 sprites into a rom and they show fine in nse and a-map and then in vba they dont move. they just face down and slide. I've inserted hundreds of sprites and not once had this happen. Anyone know of a fix?

Did you add all the frames necessary for the sprite? Like walking, running animations, etc.?

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
Did you add all the frames necessary for the sprite? Like walking, running animations, etc.?

Yea all the walking, I didnt need running since its just a npc sprite.
Here are the nsl files.
https://www.mediafire.com/?o1vxvllgokte14p

Edit: Also I tried a new sprite index and the same result happened. I also uncheck co;y frames just for the heck of it and still nothin.

Last edited:

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
Years
Store Pokemon to Pokedex

Okay, so here's another string like the Name Pokemon above. It simply adds a Pokemon to the 'Seen' section of your Pokedex.
This one is fairly easy to do. Here's the script. It'll make it easier for me to explain.
Code:
setvar 0x8004 0x97
special 0x163
See? Nice and short.
Pretty basic too. We put the Pokemon number of the Pokemon we want to set to 'Seen' to 0x8004. In this case, I'm preparing Mew to appear as Seen.
Special 0x163 only finishes the job and actually sets it as Seen in your Pokedex.

so i saw this in another thread and wondered if there was some sort of equivalent for emerald, i assume that it's the special 0x163 that needs to be changed, anyone know what it would be changed to?

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Is it possible to let your pokemon evolve even w/o National Dex?
I read all of here but found nothintg

At 0xCE91A change the next 4 bytes to 00 00 14 E0. This makes the previously conditional branch into an unconditional branch, which fixes the evolutions.

Also go to 0x126C4D and change the D9 to an E0 if you want stone evos to work.

found by jambo51 and myself, lazily c/p'd from an old repost from here on another forum

Lance32497

LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts
Years
At 0xCE91A change the next 4 bytes to 00 00 14 E0. This makes the previously conditional branch into an unconditional branch, which fixes the evolutions.

Also go to 0x126C4D and change the D9 to an E0 if you want stone evos to work.

found by jambo51 and myself, lazily c/p'd from an old repost from here on another forum

Does it work in FireRed?
By the way, thanks man

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
i have pokemon yellow on my smartphone. but i dont know how to add any cheats or hacks that will let me get the surfing pikachu so i can play the surfing pikachu minigame. can anyone help me?

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2015
How do I insert sprites into my fire red hack? Also how do I insert missions in the script for my team rocket hack? Many thanks

Blah

Free supporter
Years
How do I insert sprites into my fire red hack? Also how do I insert missions in the script for my team rocket hack? Many thanks

Hi, open your rom in Advance map. On the left hand side there will be two collapsible directories. Double click on the one called "From header", and find the map you want (keep double clicking to expand). Once you've opened the map you want, hit the events tab. You'll see "Number of Person events" on the bottom right hand side. Increment that by one to add an event. That's all.

If you are having troubles doing that I suppose I can use pictures.

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2015
So all I gotta do is do that to add all my sprites and then save it and it should be in my hack? All still need to change the trainer sprite to Jessie/James whoever I wanna play as well as make one of them on the trainer card sprite

Blah

Free supporter
Years
So all I gotta do is do that to add all my sprites and then save it and it should be in my hack? All still need to change the trainer sprite to Jessie/James whoever I wanna play as well as make one of them on the trainer card sprite

There are tutorials for trainer sprite editing. What I told your right now is trainer overworld adding.
They are two different things, search up tutorials for UNLZ on here or on google.

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2015
I think I get it. So basically adding trainer overworlds is just adding to advance map so u can use them in any hack?

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2015
Sweet. All I gotta do is get a fire red ROM so I can put the sprites in. Still need to add starting Pokemon in gonna start with 3 Pokemon arbok or ekans, wheezing or koffing and meowth or seviper or wubbuffet. I know to edit starter u use a starter but how do I edit to start with 3 Pokémon?

Years
  • Seen today
Is there a way to give the player a female starter? The givepokemon thing in XSE doesn't have anything for gender and I didn't see a tool for it. (Am new to actually coding so if it's a glaringly obvious please don't bite my head of.)

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Is there a way to give the player a female starter? The givepokemon thing in XSE doesn't have anything for gender and I didn't see a tool for it. (Am new to actually coding so if it's a glaringly obvious please don't bite my head of.)

It's actually not easy. Pokemon's gender is dependent on the last byte of it's PID. Specifically, the bits inside that byte is what determines the gender. That being said, you cannot simply just set those bits to female, because this also affects the Pokemon's ability. That's why you see that a Pokemon with no gender or a single possible gender only has 1 possible ability!

In short you would have to keep generating a new Pokemon until you get a female. This would require some ASM :)

Years
  • Seen today
It's actually not easy. Pokemon's gender is dependent on the last byte of it's PID. Specifically, the bits inside that byte is what determines the gender. That being said, you cannot simply just set those bits to female, because this also affects the Pokemon's ability. That's why you see that a Pokemon with no gender or a single possible gender only has 1 possible ability!

In short you would have to keep generating a new Pokemon until you get a female. This would require some ASM :)

So no simple method to give the player a female starter? How hard is ASM to learn and is it worth learning at this point? Anything you think I should look into when it comes to ROM hacking?

Blah

Free supporter
Years
So no simple method to give the player a female starter? How hard is ASM to learn and is it worth learning at this point? Anything you think I should look into when it comes to ROM hacking?

At this point, the point where you don't know scripting yet, it's not worth learning (you'll just end up lost!). What you can do is ask in a really cool request thread I know of :P

If you're just starting, I think you should focus on scripting and mapping.
After a mastery of both of those (scripting more so than mapping), give ASM a shot :P

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2015
I understand how u can change the trainer sprite like for the male or female, but how do u do it so both female and male in my case for my hack would be Jessie and James?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back