• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Artisan Cave

Years
In Pokémon Emerald, at the Battle Frontier there is a cave past a Sudowoodo known as the Artisan Cave. In this cave, all there is to find are a bunch of Smeargle, that range a bit in level, and only know the move Sketch. And there are the stat boosting vitamins scattered throughout the cave that are hidden in a few of the rocks. This is the only place in Generation III where Smeargle can be obtained.

Why do you think this cave is in the game? Do you think it has some connection to the Battle Frontier or was it just a randomly placed cave to you? Did you ever catch a Smeargle for yourself in it? Discuss.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
I've only been there once, when I wanted to catch a Smeargle. I like the location. The entrance is a little hidden, forcing you to move to the far east, then Surfing downwards. Still, the presence of the cave is obvious as the 'exit' is in the center of the Battle Frontier. When I first saw that exit, I started to cycle around the island seeking for an entrance.
I don't see any link between the cave and the Battle Facilities on the Battle Frontier. I think it's just placed there because that's the only location in the game that can only be reached after obtaining the national dex (aside from two areas in the Safari Zone).

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
I thought it had a secret purpose when I first played Emerald, but finding nothing but Smeargle there was lame. I wish it had an important role.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
I didn't even find out about it until I was super bored and explored the whole of Hoenn and found a bunch of secret stuff, one being Artisan Cave! I knew what Smeargle was but I didn't think you'd be able to catch it in these games. I was really surprised when I found one, especially when their levels there are so unusual! To be honest I don't even remember the layout of the cave lol. I need to visit that place soon ^-^

Years
Its a cool feature. It adds a bit o an adventure to a place that's meant to be for battlers. I usually catch one and give it a one way ticket to PC :D

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Artisan Cave is cool and handy for Pokémon Breeders. :)

Years
I never got to do the Emerald postgame because my brother was playing the game, but the fact this location has Smeargle there does at least make it interesting in a way and makes the name very fitting. I still don't think it had a connection to the Battle Frontier and seemed more like an excuse to find a location for Smeargle in the generation.

Back