• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Level-Up [Idea/interest check]

Years
    I've been contemplating making a new roleplay, and I've written a not so short summary of it's basic mechanics.

Players will start at the beginning of a video game level and attempt to beat the game. Each level will be a separate Arc. Players may join/leave in between Levels. Players will be in control of an Avatar, a pixel representation of their character's soul. Each character's soul will be trapped in the game. Losing all your lives will cause an immediate Game Over, which will delete the player's soul and prevent them from returning to reality.

Players will unlock abilities and other special bonuses by Leveling up. To level up a character must gain SP, or soul points. Soul points are gained by completing tasks set by the Game Master, an omnipotent AI in control of the game; slaying monsters; and destroying another player's avatar, whether they Game Over or not you still gain points. When a player loses a life by dying to another player, they lose all their accumulated soul points for that level. Soul points are stored in gaseous form in tubes, and once they fill it up it liquefies, allowing the player to drink it and level up. When a player dies, their soul tube is left behind, while they are respawned at the nearest soul shrine. The tube that is left behind is able to be stolen by the player who killed them, thus gaining their accumulated soul points. Be careful when dying to monsters, however, because they will break open the tube and absorb the soul points. Some monsters can't handle the power and will merely glitch out of existence, while others may grow stronger or even become sentient.

The goal of the game is to reach level 100 and gain enough of a soul to return to reality. Many other creatures in the game have the same goal, although they were never alive to begin with. This is possible by many means, some examples being adventuring, farming, alchemy, combat, and many more. The main focus of many Avatars is combat and adventuring, however they will need friends that have other skills in order to beat the game.

Players, at level 25, will encounter a Fae that is imbued with strong soul energy. This Fae will give the player a choice, to absorb the soul energy himself/herself and be forced to play the rest of the game alone, to share the energy with another player and be bound together for the rest of the game (this requires both to reach level 15 together), or to release the energy to create a companion out of nothing. Players that go solo will be exponentially more powerful than the rest, however will be unable to receive help from anyone else without major repercussions. Players that team together will gain powerful partner skills that require both Avatar's participation to pull off, as well as link their soul tubes to each other's magically so they share the same contents. Players that create a companion will have a special bond with the creature, being able to communicate telepathically with them and perform fusion abilities in which the creature and Avatar's souls combine together into one being for a short amount of time.

Players will start the game in a small village, inside a house generated for them. Each house is exactly the same, and designed to provide an even start for all players. The house contains one room, with a bed, a table, a safe, a chair, and a lamp. The walls are stone bricks, with a thatched roof. Players will quickly outgrow this house and are recommended to move out of Smalltown into a more active part of the game.

This roleplay will be very sandbox based, however there are multiple quest-lines to complete. If your character completes an entire quest-line they will be granted a golden key, which gives them the ability to continue on to level two once they decide they want to leave level one. In order to leave they must travel to a large wooden door, which the key will open, and travel through the level's soul link, which voids the player of all items not allowed in the next level and transports them to the next level's Hub, which will be a feature of all levels after level one.​

Please let me know what you think, and if you'd want to join or not!

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
    The premise is very much like Sword Art Online, with some minor details tweaked here and there. However, it's a good idea and something I might join if I'm not too busy with the other RPs.

Years
    The premise is very much like Sword Art Online, with some minor details tweaked here and there. However, it's a good idea and something I might join if I'm not too busy with the other RPs.

Hmm, I'll have to check out sword art online then. I've heard of it but I've never actually looked into it. If its too similar to this though I might cry XD

Years
    I personally wouldn't join the RP, but I have seen quite a few similar ones (including a very long-running SAO one) do pretty well. I'm sure that the RP would attract a decent amount of interest.

Kikpanther

Not a beginner that's for sure
    Years
    A good idea, but with like many sandbox RPs that (let's face it) don't last at all on PC, you'll probably have a big problem with direction. Will you allow the RPers villages to be anywhere? I would like to say that RPers wouldn't make their characters super far apart from each other so they can interact but they have done that before. And will you have any kind of guidance towards a plot if there is any? People come on RP forums to interact with other people and their characters. A lot of people on PC like the idea of sandboxes because you can do whatever you want, but, in reality, there are very few people on PC who know how to keep posting in a sandbox. What will you do when RPers run out of their own fuel? Or feel alienated from everyone else? Or feel lost without guidance?

You have what sounds like an interesting idea, but if I'm going to be totally honest with you I think it can be much more workable and more interesting and fun if you didn't make it a sandbox RP.

Years
    A good idea, but with like many sandbox RPs that (let's face it) don't last at all on PC, you'll probably have a big problem with direction. Will you allow the RPers villages to be anywhere? I would like to say that RPers wouldn't make their characters super far apart from each other so they can interact but they have done that before. And will you have any kind of guidance towards a plot if there is any? People come on RP forums to interact with other people and their characters. A lot of people on PC like the idea of sandboxes because you can do whatever you want, but, in reality, there are very few people on PC who know how to keep posting in a sandbox. What will you do when RPers run out of their own fuel? Or feel alienated from everyone else? Or feel lost without guidance?

You have what sounds like an interesting idea, but if I'm going to be totally honest with you I think it can be much more workable and more interesting and fun if you didn't make it a sandbox RP.

While I see where you're coming from, I've personally seen many sandbox roleplays last a long time. I've also tried my hand at a plot driven roleplay, but it turned people away because their characters had no impact on the plot, and they felt like they had no control over anything.

Ideally this roleplay will be run like a video-game: The quests are there for guidance but they're completely optional unless you want to advance the storyline. I'm hoping I can find a way to make it work in a way that the storyline isn't set in stone as my previous one was, but it still keeps an element of sandbox-like play. I guess I haven't really described that well in the summary, and I haven't completely figured out how it will work either.

Kikpanther

Not a beginner that's for sure
    Years
    I'm not saying sandbox roleplays don't work, because they do. But here in the RPT they rarely and I mean RARELY last. Maybe people don't have the mindset for it, maybe we just haven't had a really good sandbox roleplay but 9.8/10 sandbox roleplays here die fairly quickly.

You can keep on doing the sandbox idea of course, but for a lasting RP I'd highly recommend a way to quickly make the RP guided when people lose moral and then go back to the sandbox setup.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
    Yeah, it seems interesting enough. As long as you have enough optional quests put out, I don't think the fact that its a sandbox with no main story would be too much of an issue.

Back