• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen give garbodor some slack huh

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
  • if you want to use it in gen 5 battles you'll find that it's a cool entry hazard lead with spikes/toxic spikes/explosion/clear smog or rock blast and weak armor plus focus sash

who cares about design when you are more viable than lilligant (chlorophyll + sun has been banned) and samurott

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • if you want to use it in gen 5 battles you'll find that it's a cool entry hazard lead with spikes/toxic spikes/explosion/clear smog or rock blast and weak armor plus focus sash

who cares about design when you are more viable than lilligant (chlorophyll + sun has been banned) and samurott

Isn't this more of a competitive point? xD
    ...Why even compare it to Lilligant when the two have nothing in common? o.o

Well, it is pretty durable, and it's pretty deceptively fast - like base 75 speed is really not that bad! It's ability is not that bad either, like, Stench can make the opponent flinch, and Aftermath is there in case you wanna get some damage on something, but yeah.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I don't use Garbodar for the simple fact I find its design unappealing (Although there are uglier Pokémon out there) and have no intention of ever using it.

The comparison to Lilligant and Samurott is odd. Ultimately not everyone plays competitively.

I choose Pokémon mainly on design and Lilligant is my favourite Unova Pokémon as it has a great design and is fun to use. :)

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
  • I like Garbador on the basis that its a good design. Unova being based on New York, a relativly big city, it makes sense that they're would be a pokemon who mutated from litteral trash. People who scream bad design only dislike it because its not pretty, but you know what, you're a heartless person and you should be ashamed, how do you think Garbador feels? :3

Its fine if you don't like it, but don't throw him in the mud because you don't like him. Garbador is bae.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • how about y'all be men and use garbodor without complaining about its design

seriously though garbodor > lilligant competitively, i did that comparison because everyone seems to like the latter and parrot about garbo

again, spikes/tspikes/explosion/clear smog or rock blast

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I thought my post was pretty balanced. Note how I said there are Pokémon with worse designs than the Fifth Gen Garbage Pokémon.

Lilligant has an excellent design so it is natural it will be liked and in my personal experience it is fun to use. :)

Garbodar may get more flak than it should but I still have no plans to ever use it.

Years
  • As Gardy said, not everyone is a competitive player. However, I may not be much of a Garbodor fan, but my thoughts on the Pokemon were changed quite a bit thanks to watching Marriland's Black Wedlocke where he had to shoehorn a Garbodor onto his team after losing his Carracosta on Route 10.

He was like not very happy about using a Pokemon he didn't like the design of, but come the final battles he does a very clever Rest + Stockpile strategy with said Garbodor, however he eventually gets cut short by a crit Head Charge from Ghetsis' Bouffalant, and Garbodor's partner (a Sawsbuck) eventually ends up sweeping the rest of Ghetsis' team, including OHKO'ing Hydreigon with a crit Jump Kick.

As for Lilligant, it's such a great design and while competitive isn't the best due to its shallow movepool, it does do surprisingly well in casual play, thanks to learning some strong attacks like Petal Dance and Energy Ball, as well as Leech Seed and Sleep Powder to debilitate the foe while setting up Quiver Dances.

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I feel like Garbodor definitely faces some similar struggles to that of Muk, Nosepass, Probopass, Grimer and other Pokemon generally considered as "ugly" by many fans.

I do agree that the design is completely unappealing. But I definitely don't let my opinion of the
    art design really get in my way either if I need a Pokemon to fill a niche in my party! I definitely agree that Garbodor is a viable Pokemon!

But I also feel like some of the fun challenge in Pokemon comes from completing the game with the Pokemon you bond with the most! Sometimes you just can't form a bond to a Pokemon you think looks off-putting. So I do definitely think it's possible that others play this way too.

Back