• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What did you think of getting to catch wild Pokemon so early in the game?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
In Pokemon Black and White, you were able to catch wild Pokemon much earlier than in previous titles. You got your starter, your Pokedex, some Pokeballs, and were immediately able (and highly encouraged!) to catch wild Pokemon on the first route to compete with your rivals. Did you actually notice this or did it brush right past you? Do you think other Pokemon games should follow suit in how quickly you're able to catch Wild Pokemon in this game? Feel free to add anything else you might feel is necessary!

Years
I think it was part of why I found B/W enjoyable, because you're thrust into the catching much sooner than usual. Most games always had you having to go back home and tell your mother about your Pokemon journey first but here, you can start catching just after getting the Pokedex and I liked that change.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
You get to catch wild Pokemon earlier in B/W than the other games? Seemed about the same time as the other games to me. The difference to me was more that they make a deal out of it, what with Bianca having the 3 of you take the first step at the same time and then compete to see who can catch the most by the end of Route 1.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 5, 2018
Gen 1 to 3 was Starting town->Next town->back to starting town/pokedex->Next town and buy pokeballs
Gen 4 shorten it to town->lake->town/pokedex and then pokeballs
Gen5 shortened it to town/pokedex-> route and then pokeballs

Personally while the catching challenge was fun the first time. Practically speaking you want to catch your mons in route 2 anyways due to higher levels.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Gen Five was the first generation where I didn't have to worry about running into a wild shiny Pokémon without any Poké balls because I hadn't received the Pokédex yet. It was so much better knowing that I could start building a team that early in the game, and that my starter wouldn't get to a higher level than I wanted before I could ditch it for a monotype challenge. I'm playing a Normal monotype challenge on White and on HeartGold, and my starter on White was put into the PC at level 6 while my starter on HeartGold is almost at level 8. And that's experience that should have been put towards Pokemon I want to keep on my team.

So yes, I was quite glad that Professor Juniper handed some balls over that early in the game.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Gen Five was the first generation where I didn't have to worry about running into a wild shiny Pokémon without any Poké balls because I hadn't received the Pokédex yet. It was so much better knowing that I could start building a team that early in the game, and that my starter wouldn't get to a higher level than I wanted before I could ditch it for a monotype challenge. I'm playing a Normal monotype challenge on White and on HeartGold, and my starter on White was put into the PC at level 6 while my starter on HeartGold is almost at level 8. And that's experience that should have been put towards Pokemon I want to keep on my team.

So yes, I was quite glad that Professor Juniper handed some balls over that early in the game.
I always had that shiny fear too. Despite not finding a shiny until generation six I was always paranoid of that.

With that said, I remember finding Lillipup as my first Unova Pokémon. I really enjoyed the fact that I wouldn't have just Tepig for too long (I think it was kinda weak?) Either way I'm glad Snoop Dogg and Eminem were there from the start, taking on everything as a team. :')

Back