• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon of the Day - Dratini (163/???) [being remade]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
Years
Farfetch'd are one of the few Pokemon confirmed to be used for food...what do you think it tastes like?

Beef. JK, Rosted Chicken. Probably, blame m country if not duck.

How do you envision a Mega Farfetch'd?

Have his celery be a sword. Boom Mega Farfetch'd as a warrior.

pkmin3033

217 - URSARING

600px-217Ursaring.png

"In its territory, it leaves scratches on trees that bear delicious berries or fruits."

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Ursaring! Everyone, run for your lives! A bear of notoriously foul temperament, Ursaring seems to spend much of its time with an angry glare on its face, when it isn't doing what bears do best: wandering through forests, terrorizing little girls that eat its food, holding the occasional picnic, etc. Despite being portrayed as a Pokemon of significant strength in the anime - often being the powerhouse of less morally white characters such as Paul, when they're not wild - Ursaring has never been able to make much of a dent in the competitive battling scene, being consigned to the lower tiers, despite it's moderately impressive attack stat. Life is tough when you're an angry bear.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Ursaring! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What would YOU do if you were attacked on a Pokemon journey by an Ursaring?
  • Given that Ursaring takes some inspiration for its design and name from the Ursa Major constellation, and its pre-evolution Teddiursa has a crescent moon on its head, would you like to see it feature in a meaningful role in Pokemon Sun & Moon? What do you imagine this role could be?

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
What would YOU do if you were attacked on a Pokemon journey by an Ursaring?

I'd run, of course. But first I need to make an anti-Ursaring circle.

pkmin3033

448 - GARCHOMP

600px-445Garchomp.png

"It is said that when one runs at high speed, its wings create blades of wind that can fell nearby trees."

I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Garchomp! And the metagame trembled. Ridiculously overpowered since its introduction in Gen IV, and only getting worse in Gen VI thanks to its mega evolution, Garchomp is one of the few non-Legendary Pokemon that is exactly what it appears to be: a vicious, terrifying monster that will literally shred your team to pieces if you give it a chance to. Fairy types? Ha. It can do just about everything except rollerskate, with it's horrifyingly high base stats and painfully diverse movepool. It'll even kill most of its counters if it manages to acquire a boost beforehand...which it inevitably will. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Garchomp enjoys similar fame in the anime, being Cynthia's signature Pokemon...because, of course, the best regional Champion has to have the best non-Legendary Pokemon that region has to offer. It also recently appeared as a playable fighter in Pokken Tournament.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Garchomp! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• How did you find Cynthia's Garchomp in DPPt?
  • How would you rate Garchomp - both in terms of its usability and its design - in comparison to other pseudo-Legendary Pokemon of other generations?

Last edited:

Adam Levine

Years
How would you rate Garchomp - both in terms of its usability and its design - in comparison to other pseudo-Legendary Pokemon of other generations?

148/10. It's a perfect Pokémon. Not too overpowered, not too weak, just perfect. Designwise, it looks totally awesome. Just like what its Trophy description in SSBB (I think) says, it's basically a dinosaur combined with a jet. Even though it's not my favorite Pokémon, it's still one of the best.

Years
How did you find Cynthia's Garchomp in DPPt?
My first battle against Cynthia in Platinum is still one of my favorites all-time against an NPC, and Garchomp was a large part of that.

How would you rate Garchomp - both in terms of its usability and its design - in comparison to other pseudo-Legendary Pokemon of other generations?
As far as Garchomp goes in comparison to the other pseudo-legendaries, I'd put it right in the middle of the pack. Aside from Cynthia's Garchomp, I don't think I paid too much attention to them, since Flygon already gave us a dual Dragon and Ground type a generation prior.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
How did you find Cynthia's Garchomp in DPPt?
Honestly if Dargon Rush couldn't miss, this fight would go from hard to no longer fun.
Garchomp is such a monster that it would not be out of place to say that the Gen IV competitive scene revolved around it. Sadly it isn't as dominating as it used to be now that Fairy types have been introduced and air balloons to slow it down. Its Mega evolution is also pretty underwhelming when you consider what regular Garchomp is capable. On the plus side Garchomp is one amazing physical tank that can also fight back against its opponents.
As far as comparisons goes Garchomp with other pseudo-Legendaries, it easily belongs right at the top of the competitive scene perhaps only taking second place to multiscale Dragonite. Of course it is completely outclassed if you put Mega-Salamence into the equation. It's probably not as devastating as Mega-Metagross but its versatility makes it much easier to fit on a team.

pkmin3033

720 - HOOPA

600px-720Hoopa.png

"In its true form, it possess a huge amount of power. Legends of its avarice tell how it once carried off an entire castle to gain the treasure hidden within."

PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER...itty bitty living space. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Hoopa! A mysterious Djinn Pokemon first introduced in the sixth generation, and one of those "secret" Legendaries that nobody was supposed to know about when the games were first released (but of course it was revealed months before time because this is the internet) Hoopa in its Unbound Form it's a teeny-tiny 0.5m cutie...whilst in its Unbound form its a 6.5m eldritch monstronsity with six floating arms and the power to bend dimensions and control and summon Legendary Pokemon. This being kind of a big deal, Hoopa received its own movie - creatively titled Hoopa and the Clash of Ages - where it served as the main antagonist, and caused merry hell by summoning a Legendary Pokemon free-for-all. The two also have their own signature moves - Hyperspace Hole for Confined, and Hyperspace Fury for Unbound. Unsurprisingly, it's another event-only Pokemon.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Hoopa! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• If a Hoopa offered to send you anywhere using its rings, where would you go?
  • In Hoopa's movie, Arceus only made a cameo appearance...but if it came down to it, do you think Hoopa Unbound would be able to control it? If the two battled, who do you think would win?

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

Hoopa is so cool! I love it's design and concept as a Pokemon. It's a shame that I missed out on getting one :(

• If a Hoopa offered to send you anywhere using its rings, where would you go?
Can it send me to a warm and sunny beach? :D If so, that please!

Adam Levine

Years
In Hoopa's movie, Arceus only made a cameo appearance...but if it came down to it, do you think Hoopa Unbound would be able to control it? If the two battled, who do you think would win?

Arceus, probably. It would've obviously thought of something to counter its own "creation".

pkmin3033

229 - HOUNDOOM

229Houndoom.png

"Long ago, people imagined its eerie howls to be the call of the grim reaper."

Well they said you was high-classed, well that was just a lie~ Today's Pokemon of the Day is Houndoom! The closest that Pokemon is going to get to a demonic hellhound - and to be fair, it's pretty fierce-looking, especially it's Mega Evolution - Houndoom has the distinction of being the only Dark/Fire type Pokemon as of Generation VI, and of having the highest Special Attack of all non-Legendary dark-type Pokemon in its mega evolved state...although unfortunately normal Houndoom is not particularly useful in the metagame, even if it does look amazing. You might even say it's a bit of an underdog. In the anime Houndoom was used by out-of-nowhere Ash-beater Harrison in the Silver Conference, where it managed to take down Ash's Snorlax...but then lost to his Bayleef. Malva also used one that Mega Evolved in the Mega Evolution Special...that one lost too. It has also had several minor appearances, where it has done its best to look as menacing as possible.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Houndoom! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• If you were allowed to have a dog-like Pokemon as a pet (excluding the Legendary Beasts) would you choose Houndoom, or something else?
  • What do you think of Mega Houndoom?

Last edited:

Adam Levine

Years
If you were allowed to have a dog-like Pokemon as a pet (excluding the Legendary Beasts) would you choose Houndoom, or something else?

Never a Houndoom. Even by accident, it can give you burns that never heal.

What do you think of Mega Houndoom?

Now that I think about it...why did they make a Mega Houndoom? Sure, it might have looked cool, but...why?

Years
If you were allowed to have a dog-like Pokemon as a pet (excluding the Legendary Beasts) would you choose Houndoom, or something else?
I think I would rather have a Growlithe, since it's fluffier.
tumblr_m9pdgf0WDA1qid2nw.gif

What do you think of Mega Houndoom?
Umm... I dunno... it's spiky and well-protected. I like the upright horns... Other than that, there isn't anything particularly remarkable about Mega Houndoom other than some buffed Defenses, Sp. Attack, and Speed. :p

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I remember when I first started playing Pokemon Silver I really wanted to get Houndoom but I couldn't find it and when I finally fought that Rocket Executive I immediately searched the Pokedex to discover that it wasn't found in any area. I would later find out that you couldn't get it until much later in the game when you re-visit Kanto.

Sadly Houndoom hasn't been a Pokemon that stayed as one of my favourites over the years. As far as canines go I much prefer Aracanine, Ninetales and Fennekin over it. I also don't really care about using it in battles, mega or otherwise. At least Houndoom managed to hold a special spot for seven year old me.

pkmin3033

136 - FLAREON

600px-136Flareon.png

"When storing thermal energy in its body, its temperature could soar to over 1600 degrees."

NO MOVES. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Flareon! One of the original Eeveelutions, and thus ridiculously popular because of it, Flareon is nonetheless notoriously useless for its lack of a movepool when compared to its kin...but at least it isn't ugly like Vaporeon, so there is that. It also has the highest Special Defense stat of all non-Legendary fire-type Pokemon...but as it lacks the moves to take advantage of this, this is a bit of a hollow victory. Flareon has appeared numerous times in the anime, although its appearances have been mostly forgettable, as it is often part of a much more impressive team, rather than the trainer's signature Pokemon. It was the Pokemon of choice of the amazingly camp Eevee Brother Pyro, and later one of the Kimono Sisters of Johto, however.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Flareon! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Flareon's lack of movepool makes it a pretty restricted Pokemon. What moves would you give it?
  • What do you think of Flareon when compared to the other Eeveelutions?

Adam Levine

Years
Flareon's lack of movepool makes it a pretty restricted Pokemon. What moves would you give it?

Give it Solar Beam...or anything to counter its weaknesses.

Also I'm surprised you didn't make a TPP reference here.

pkmin3033

The Ghost of You Know Who;9220278[B said:
][/B]
Also I'm surprised you didn't make a TPP reference here.
I might have done...if I knew what TPP stood for. xD

Oh my god I wasn't aware people actually READ my references! I feel renewed enthusiasm for my snarky summaries <3

Years
Flareon's lack of movepool makes it a pretty restricted Pokemon. What moves would you give it?
I really wish Flareon could make more use of its physical attacking capabilities. Then again there aren't many physical moves that are very fitting for it, other potential fire-type physical attackers like Charizard have claws or fangs and/or wings (not to mention an extra typing) so that opens up doors for a big variety of extra moves. It's a shame; would've preferred it be more special-based.

What do you think of Flareon when compared to the other Eeveelutions?
I ran here when I saw the thread title. Best eeveelution despite the poor movepool. ;w;

Years
Like Janna said, Flareon hasn't got any real defining features that determine what moves it would use, and not having many physical options hinders its stats quite a lot. Heck, it had to wait five generations before eventually getting Flare Blitz in 6th Gen.

What do you think of Flareon when compared to the other Eeveelutions?
It's not as great as the others in terms of movepool, but it still has the same adorable charm that the Eeveelutions are all about.

pkmin3033

675 - PANGORO

600px-675Pangoro.png

"Although it possesses a violent temperament, it won't put up with bullying. It uses the leaf in its mouth to sense the movements of its enemies."

There is no charge for awesomeness...or attractiveness. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Pangoro! The Ursaring/Beartic of the Kalos Region of sorts, Pangoro is another angry bear Pokemon in a long line of angry bear Pokemon. However, unlike the previous angry bear Pokemon, Pangoro has its own signature move - Parting Shot - and a special evolution method, requiring a dark-type in the active battle party to evolve from the much cuter and more cuddly Pancham. With impressive Attack and mediocre Speed, Pangoro is a classic bruiser in the metagame, hitting hard and being hit hard by anything faster than it...and there is a lot that is faster than Pangoro. In the anime, Pangoro has only really appeared in a supporting role thus far, acting as a benevolent (albeit wrathful) guardian towards its pre-evolutionary form.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Pangoro! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Pangoro was designed by Hitoshi Ariga. However, its pre-evolution Pancham was designed by Megumi Mizutani. Do you think Pangoro would have turned out differently if designed by Mizutani? Do you think it would have been better, or worse?
  • How do you think Pangoro manages to use the leaf in its mouth to sense enemy movements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back