• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Zombiez + Trainz

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
here's part of the op for my kabaneri of the iron fortress rp that may or may not be coming during july. it kinda just depends on if it interests anyone, but yeah :p

Full Steam Ahead
A Kabaneri RP

The year is 1895. Thirty years ago, the American Civil War ended and with it came the promise of peace. Reconstruction of the South aided along by the military, the continuing advancement of industrial technologies, and the completion of the transcontinental railroad. It was a time for harmony, a time for a split country to heal its wounds and unify as a nation once again... or at least it should have been.

1869, the first reports of a strange virus on the west coast reach the ears of newly appointed president, Ulysses S. Grant. These ridiculous accounts told of crazed individuals attacking and feasting on the flesh of other humans, only for those same humans to rise from the dead and repeat the process. It wasn't until the rapidly spreading epidemic reached the very doors of the White House that the reality of the situation hit President Grant.

After the military barely staved off the undead invasion of the nation's capital, Grant ordered the nationwide fortification of strategic facilities in response to the ever-increasing undead outbreaks across the nation. As a result, the remaining major cities of the country began fortifying themselves into facilities that became known as Stations. Enclosed by steel walls, and almost always perched atop moats, these stations were able to hold on their own as a result of sharing their agricultural products via transportation, namely through the monstrous steam-belching locomotives. The stations eventually became the only safe havens in America with a railroad system as the only means of transportation relatively safe from the onslaughts of the undead.

However, miscommunication between stations and trains, sloppy negligence by the station crews, and poor fortifications have all resulted in the number of fallen stations to have ballooned within the past couple of years. Paired with the fact that the undead's numbers seem to only grow, the situation for humanity seems rather bleak.

San Francisco stands as the only stronghold on the West Coast remaining. With its population growing much too large for it to sustain, the station's governor has decided a number of the city's inhabitants must be moved elsewhere, and where else but the nation's largest station, Atlanta.

The locomotive known as The Iron Fortress has agreed to transport those who have volunteered to take the harrowing trip across the country. You are a member of the train's crew, either as a smith, keeping it running smoothly or a hired gun protecting both the locomotive and its passengers from the undead. Either way, you're in for quite the cross country trip.

The Enemy:
The Undead are zombie-like humanoids that for the last thirty years have been roaming around the nation. There hasn't been any confirmation that the virus has reached outside of the continent, but none of the ships leaving the country have returned, so it's safe to assume that it has.

At present the undeads' origins are entirely unknown, it is simply known that their appearance during the late 1860's is what caused people to construct the stations and improve upon railways linking them. It seems much of the general populace considers them a curse, or at least something supernatural. However, those belonging in the scientific community have hypothesized its spread to be akin to some sort of virus. That being said, the nation's brightest minds have banded together to try and uncover the mystery behind the lurkers, with Philadelphia Station serving as the prime location for undead related study and research.

These creatures are extremely aggressive but seem to conserve some form of human wit, able to recognize threats, targets, and form basic strategies towards their goals. The undead's exact strength is hard to measure; with their bites, they are easily capable of tearing human flesh by the chunk, single-handedly swinging and hoisting up male adults, holding on to speeding trains without a problem, damaging and sometimes tearing away steel doors, and even damaging extremely thick steel plating with nothing but running headfirst into it - however, they have been seen to be pushed aside and physically resisted and pushed aside by normal humans, and the force from bullets seems to be able to knock them back. A fair assessment could be that they lack the fine motor skills to gauge their own force and restraint at different time.

For the most part, all that's required to put an undead to rest is to cause severe trauma to its brain or heart. A shot from a firearm to either of these two areas is usually enough to take one out of commission, but it seems that after transformation they become a bit more durable, so it takes much more blunt force to take out an undead.

There are abnormals among the undead that having evolved over time, possessing special qualities. They will be listed here as the train and its crew encounter them across their journey.

DFFn90D.jpg
The Train:
The Iron Fortress is a steam locomotive gifted to the Earth by God himself. In actuality, it's one of the newest models of the train built by the engineers of Pittsburgh Station. It is made almost entirely of heavy metal components and has numerous ports and slits found along its body to allow gunmen on the inside to repel any undead that have latched themselves outside. The train is capable of running at very high speeds as opposed to ordinary steam locomotives since its engines have high output due to efficient vapor compression.

The train is made up of a number of carts, with its boiler and cab situated at its head. It also has a razor-like plow on its front to mow down undead that stand on the rail tracks. Behind the cab is the train's first tender, containing coal to be shoveled into the boiler, with the next tender following directly after, containing water acting as a coolant. The next three carts serve as the locomotive's armory and storage, containing weapons, ammunition, foods, and supplies. The only passageway between the boiler cart and the cabs behind the tenders is a small railed path alongside the outside of the carts. Even though it is rather high above the ground, its considered slightly dangerous as the path forces to one leave the safety of the train's walls.

Behind the storage carts are the living spaces for both hired guns and train smiths, taking up only two carts in total. The next seven carts are the living spaces for the locomotive's regular passengers and the final one acts as a point for the train's hired guns to scout out the situation. Each of the buggies behind the tenders are directly connected to one another so that no one has to risk leaving the trains. All carts have doors leading to a railing outside and a hatch to the train's roof, but they for the most part remain closed.

Boiler/Cab----Tender----Water Tank----Armory/Storage----Armory/Storage----Crew Space----Crew Space----Living Space----Living Space----Living Space----Living Space----Living Space----Living Space----Living Space----Caboose

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
There's potential.

Right now all I can imagine is that we are just shooting at zombies that are latched onto a speeding train headed from Point A to Point B.

Can you give me some examples of exciting things that could happen in a narrow scenario like this, concerning the player-enemy conflict? Other than a breach-stave mechanism that I think is the most obvious employ.

Or is this more like a social role-play with an evident threat clawing at the rails and a psychological one creeping into the mind?

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
You know from previous discussions that really like the idea of this roleplay. For an interest check you have enough to get me hooked into reading the OOC, where I'm certain you'll have the information on structure and intended focus on the RP in terms of a deeper writing perspective.

The important thing however is that it looks like a fun RP and experience in a setting we don't often explore here and with the right players I think we could come up with some really interesting scenarios.

Here's hoping you post it after my exams finish, because then this will be a serious contender for my third of three RP slots.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
Can you give me some examples of exciting things that could happen in a narrow scenario like this, concerning the player-enemy conflict? Other than a breach-stave mechanism that I think is the most obvious employ.

Mm well to put it in the simplest terms the rp will transition from posts on the train itself, events that occur while out on the rails, and the various stops at stations along the way to Atlanta.

The posts on train will serve mostly as a downtime/cool down between the other two "events". Players can get to know each other, create npcs to get to know, explore the train, get to know the people they're defending, etc. etc.

The events occurring while travelling will be any sort of major event where the train hasn't stopped within the walls of a safe station. These could range from the crew discovering and having to fight off a new type of undead, the train having to stop on the rails due to a mechanical error, an undead breaking through one of the hatches, some of the carts being unattached, paranoia within the passenger carts that someone has been bitten, having to pass through an abandoned station. Those are just a few that I came up with off the top of my head. My main goal with these is that the player characters are forced to get out of the train, or at least the inside of it. That way there's some more variety instead of just "oh no there's a zombie latched to the train"

The various stations that the train stops at, whether it be for food, supplies, or repairs, are probably what i'm looking forward to the most. Here players can interact with other survivors and some fun stuff can go down. Paranoid settlers quarantining the train's people, racist societies that refuse to let in certain groups of people, religious cults that have taken control over stations, someone gets murdered in the station and one of the train's occupants gets blamed for it, there's a breach of a station's walls while the train is stopped there. Once again just coming up with stuff off the top of my head but there ya go :3

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
Mm well to put it in the simplest terms the rp will transition from posts on the train itself, events that occur while out on the rails, and the various stops at stations along the way to Atlanta.

Thank you. I appreciate the information, since there's always more to an Interest Check than "this looks fun", where a question of functionality is a priority concern. And often times, it puts into a critical frame aspects of the role-play or further develops ideas that may have otherwise been overlooked by the GM. Critique and questioning is vital. I say this as a note of resonance for not only you but the thinly-veiled attempt at passive irreverence by others.

As it stands now with your clarification, it is certainly an interesting idea. I think the point of activity around train stations can be a way to sort of open up what could have the--what I consider--unfavorable potential of becoming repetitive cable car carnage, at least concerning the main conflict. A lot of potential for stronger world-building, introducing other nearly game-changing incidents, "twists", alliances and betrayals concerning station workers, and other pressures.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
Hey man, don't talk about Brolaire like that. Dudes just trying to contribute.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
I would really love to see this focus on the psychological challenges and quests involving having to fight against the human condition. The ideas that attract me the most are stuff like the ones involving Murder Mystery (someone's killed on the train - don't know if there's a psychopath/developing zombie, etc.), having the players characters be quarantined, or have their life threatened by the passengers (or maybe even just most of the characters, so that one or two are forced to choose between saving themselves or others.) And damn, the possibilities of having the train hijacked by a cult or running into police trouble in a city? Love it.

Point is, love having the threat of zombies and getting into heated battles with them, but I think this RP would benefit from having more mental scenarios to play off of: this is longform RP, after all. Looking forward to seeing this posted in the future!​

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
Years
A roleplay based of my most favourite anime of this season?! YES PLEASE.

I look forward to the further worldbuilding you have in store for us; I'm a sucker for steampunk. And with all the chatter of psychological challenges, the best one to anticipate would be a character having been bitten. How would they respond? Would they kill him, treating him like some "noble sacrifice"? Would they try to treat him? Would he turn into a human-undead hybrid that retains humanity? xP

Back