• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon of the Day - Dratini (163/???) [being remade]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Have you ever used Beedrill before? Did its Mega Evolution in Gen VI prompt you to give it a second look?
In Gen I, Butterfree was my preference. Yet in Gen II, my first shiny that wasn't the Red Gyarados was a shiny Weedle. I found it in Crystal after using headbutt on a tree in Ilex Forest. I fell in love with it and evolved it into a Beedrill, which had a cool animation in Crystal anyway. I nicknamed it Kryptonite because of the vivid green color. Recently I booted up my Crystal for one of the Bug Catching contests here and the file still worked. I really missed my shiny Beedrill. My friend chained a shiny one for me and I transferred it to ORAS to use the mega stone. It's an incredible feeling...

Beedrill vs. Butterfree - which is your favorite?
Beedrill forever!

pkmin3033

237 - HITMONTOP

250px-237Hitmontop.png

"If you become enchanted by its smooth, elegant, dance-like kicks, you may get drilled hard."

You spin me right round, baby~ Today's Pokemon of the Day is Hitmontop! The third evolution of Tyrogue, Hitmontop is by far the most irritating of the three to obtain, requiring Tyrogue's attack and defense stats to be equal upon reaching Level 20. Unlike its two brethren introduced in the Generation prior, Hitmontop does not derive its name from a famous martial artist. It does, however, have a signature move in Triple Kick, and a niche as a defensive Rapid Spinner...which makes sense because, y'know, it spins. It can also learn more priority moves than any other Pokemon, so there are plenty of options. In the anime, a Hitmontop is owned by Hutch--sorry, Butch, of Team Rocket. Tierno also owns one.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Hitmontop! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• How easy did you find it to evolve Tyrogue into Hitmontop?
  • Hitmontop is a male-only species with no female counterpart. What do you think a female counterpart would be like?

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
How easy did you find it to evolve Tyrogue into Hitmontop?

Actually, I didn't try so hard. I just looked at its stats, boosted them a little, and evolved it. Bam. Hitmontop.

pkmin3033

65 - ALAKAZAM

065Alakazam-1.png

"A Pokémon that can memorize anything. It never forgets what it learns—that's why this Pokémon is smart."

What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Alakazam! A Pokemon with an IQ that exceeds 5000 - which begs the question why it allows itself to be confined in a small ball and commanded by a ten-year-old - Alakazam is and always has been a heavy-hitter, with a terrifying Special Attack stat (the highest of all non-Legendary Pokemon in its Mega-evolved state, in fact) and a passable Speed stat that make it a very serious threat...to most things. One of many first-generation Pokemon that could only evolve via trading - making it extremely annoying back in the days of link cables - Alakazam also received a Mega Evolution alongside its traditional counterpart/rival Gengar in Generation VI, where it gained a beard (females included!) and a lot more spoons. Alakazam has made many anime appearances, although its most famous one was arguably when a giant one appeared in the first season to battle a Gengar...and be knocked out by a giant Jigglypuff. Dawn's rival Kenny also owns one.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Alakazam! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Alakazam vs. Gengar: which is the better Pokemon?
  • So...if Alakazam is so smart, why isn't it running the world?

Adam Levine

Years
Alakazam vs. Gengar: which is the better Pokemon?

Gengar. It isn't as frail as Alakazam, and its Mega is in the Uber tier.

So...if Alakazam is so smart, why isn't it running the world?

Pfft. Alakazam has better things to do than run the world...like, uh, solving a Rubik's cube!

pkmin3033

666 - VIVILLON

666.png

"The patterns on this Pokémon's wings depend on the climate and topography of its habitat. It scatters colorful scales."

Green, black and blue, make the colours in the sky~ Today's Pokemon of the Day is Vivillon! The only bug-type Pokemon introduced in Generation VI - and, surprise surprise, it's a weaker early-route one! - Vivillon is the bane of collectors everywhere, given that it has twenty different patterns and the one you will get will depend on your geographical location. Despite its generally weak stats, it has access to Quiver Dance and Hurricane, is the only fully-evolved Pokemon that can have Friend Guard as an ability, and it also has a signature move in Powder, so there is a lot to be said for it. In the anime, a Meadow Pattern Vivillon was Gym Leader Viola's ace Pokemon (although her Surskit was generally more impressive) and several other patterns have appeared as minor cameos.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Vivillon! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Which Vivillon pattern is your favourite? Which one did you get in your game?
  • Would you like to see more Vivillon patterns in Pokemon Sun and Moon? What sort of colours/design would you like to see?

Adam Levine

Years
Would you like to see more Vivillon patterns in Pokemon Sun and Moon? What sort of colours/design would you like to see?

I'd like to see a monochrome or a rainbow pattern. That would be nice.

Years
Which Vivillon pattern is your favourite? Which one did you get in your game?
I actually love all the ones with blue in them, such as Tundra, Polar and Marine, but Icy Snow and Monsoon are good ones as well, along with Sun and Garden. The pattern I get in my game is River, which is the one with the tan and blue on its wings, which isn't exactly the prettiest one but the colors aren't too bad on it.

Would you like to see more Vivillon patterns in Pokemon Sun and Moon? What sort of colours/design would you like to see?
Like what someone said, I would love to see a rainbow-themed pattern. However, I feel that I can't see any introduction of new Vivillon patterns in 7th Gen although I would love to see another new Pokemon with that similar gimmick.

pkmin3033

628 - BRAVIARY

latest

"They fight for their friends without any thought about danger to themselves. One can carry a car while flying."

It's the 4th of July, so today's Pokemon of the Day is Braviary! A very American Pokemon if ever there was one: inspired by the bald eagle, a colour scheme of red, white, and blue, a male-only species of "soldiers of the sky", and extremely aggressive (although only for noble reasons, of course) Braviary was introduced in the fifth generation, and represents August in the Unova horoscope for some reason. Unfortunately, it is rather underwhelming in a competitive battling scenario, being better used in lower tiers. In the anime, Braviary has only appeared a few times, and never in a major role: one was defeated by Stephan's Zebstrika in the Unova League, and another swooped in to save the day when Ash and friends, along with N, were being accosted by Team Plasma Grunts.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Braviary! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What do you think of Braviary's design? Do you think it is a good representation of America?
  • Was Braviary's exclusivity a factor in which version of the fifth generation titles you decided to play?

Adam Levine

Years
What do you think of Braviary's design? Do you think it is a good representation of America?

I LOVE Braviary's design. It is truly the American Pokémon.

Years
Was Braviary's exclusivity a factor in which version of the fifth generation titles you decided to play?

Yes! I thought Rufflet was much cuter than Vullaby, and was appropriate for a game region based on an American region. I nicknamed the first one I caught Stephen Jr (bonus points to anyone who knows why), and he's now a level 78 Braviary.

One thing I dislke about this guy is that he takes a long time to evolve into Braviary.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

35 - CLEFAIRY

latest

"Its magical and cute appeal has many admirers. It is rare and found only in certain areas."

The Moon Stone is an awesome boulder, a million years old or even older! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Clefairy! Originally intended to be the mascot of the entire franchise before Pikachu proved to be so popular amongst fans, Clefairy was intended to be Ash's starter Pokemon to mirror the Pokemon Pocket Monsters manga. However, things didn't work out, and so the adorably pink puffball thing has had to settle for a pre-evolution in Cleffa (which Pikachu got in Pichu) and a re-classification to Normal/Fairy...and being the base model for the Poke Doll item, which allows you to escape from battles. How the mighty have fallen. In the anime, Clefairy appeared very early on whilst Ash and friends were passing through Mt. Moon, and a group of kleptomaniac Clefairy tried to build a spaceship out of various things borrowed from the townspeople...it worked out as well as could be expected. Unfortunately for the leader, it met Jigglypuff. Whitney also had one.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Clefairy! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Do you think Clefairy would have made a better mascot for Pokemon than Pikachu? Where do you think the franchise would be if this had happened?
  • How quickly did you find a Clefairy in Mt. Moon?

Last edited:

Adam Levine

Years
Do you think Clefairy would have made a better mascot for Pokemon than Pikachu? Where do you think the franchise would be if this had happened?

Pikachu would always be a better mascot. I'm not sure Clefairy can be considered...good enough for some fans.

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
Years
  • Age 21
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 1, 2018
I've always thought Clefairy was pretty cute, but I've never really used one in the games.

(Also, there's an error in the post about Clefairy, it says to share your experiences about Braviary)

pkmin3033

514 - SIMISEAR

514.png

"When it gets excited, embers rise from its head and tail and it gets hot. For some reason, it loves sweets."

Hear no evil. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Simisear! One of the three elemental monkeys of Generation V, Simisear is actually the most disliked, to the point that it actually ranked last on a recent Japanese poll to decide what would be distributed at the nineteenth movie showings...needless to say, it won't be showing up anytime soon. Despite this, it has reasonable stats and access to Nasty Plot, meaning it makes for a good special attack sweeper in lower tiers. In the anime, Simisear's only major appearance was in an antagonistic role, after it was knocked out of a tree by Iris' Emolga. Needless to say, it wasn't particularly happy about it. A few trainers have used one, although nobody of consequence entertains the idea of having one either.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Simisear! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What do you think about Simisear ranking LAST on a poll - is it really that bad of a Pokemon, in your opinion?
  • Were you given Pansear in Pokemon Black/White and, if so, did you evolve it into Simisear and use it? If not, was it a Pokemon that you wanted?

Adam Levine

Years
What do you think about Simisear ranking LAST on a poll - is it really that bad of a Pokemon, in your opinion?

I actually feel kinda sad that Simisear has the least votes, but then again, its design isn't very impressive, and it's not so good in battle.

pkmin3033

142 - AERODACTYL

yazarlar%C4%B1n-en-iyi-pokemon-tak%C4%B1m%C4%B1_1020542.png

"A ferocious, prehistoric Pok?mon that goes for the enemy's throat with its serrated saw-like fangs."

The Stone of Cold Fire will be mine! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Aerodactyl! One of the fossil Pokemon of the first generation, revived from Old Amber, which you could get regardless of version and saved you the agonizing choice of that or something else. Aerodactyl is to date the only fossil Pokemon that has no evolution or pre-evolution, but did receive a Mega Evolution in Generation VI, making it far more useful than any fossil Pokemon to date...and, even before that, it made an excellent lead. Despite being inspired by pterosaurs, Aerodactyl's name was actually the inspiration for the aerodactylus, a genus of pterosaur discovered after its creation, making it something of a Stand Alone Complex. Despite being described as a savage predator, the anime later showed an Aerodactyl consuming fruit of all things...that said, its first appearance in the anime, alongside the other fossil Pokemon of the first generation, saw it in an extremely bad mood due to being woken up.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Aerodactyl! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Would you have preferred Aerodactyl to have been a third standard fossil, or did you like its single stage design? Would you like to see more single stage fossil Pokemon similar to it in the future?
  • What did you think of Mega Aerodactyl when it was released in Generation VI compared to other Mega Evolutions? Did it need or deserve a Mega, and has it done the Pokemon any favours competitively in your opinion?

Adam Levine

Years
Would you have preferred Aerodactyl to have been a third standard fossil, or did you like its single stage design? Would you like to see more single stage fossil Pokemon similar to it in the future?

I'd like to see more Pok?mon like Aerodactyl. It makes it unique.

What did you think of Mega Aerodactyl when it was released in Generation VI compared to other Mega Evolutions? Did it need or deserve a Mega, and has it done the Pokemon any favours competitively in your opinion?

I honestly don't care too much about its Mega, but then again, it's crazy fast and has an awesome Attack stat.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
Oh cool, it's Aero!
What were your first impressions of this Pokemon, and has that opinion changed over time? If so, what prompted that change?
I remember liking it at first and that hasn't changed one bit. It stands as my favourite fossil tied with Archeops.

Has this Pokemon had any appearances that have made it stand out to you? Maybe a one-shot or recurring anime appearance, or as a character in one of the spinoff titles?
Just the main video games and I like winged dinosaurs.

Have you ever used this Pokemon in one of your games before? Was it a useful addition to your team, or something you swapped out right away? Something you used for a challenge?
Yes, I remember using it in the 3rd gen games casually and competitively later on. It's pretty cool to use!

How would you improve this Pokemon? What sort of additional ability, moves, or stat bonuses would you give it that would make it more viable in competitive play? For Pokemon that are already very viable for competitive play, what makes them so useful, and how would you balance them?

Since its Mega is usable in OU, I still want to give it Head Smash and Brave Bird (or just one of them). With Rock Head, fast Speed, and usable Attack, it would be a good wallbreaker.

Would you have preferred Aerodactyl to have been a third standard fossil, or did you like its single stage design? Would you like to see more single stage fossil Pokemon similar to it in the future?
Nah, I think Aero's fine as a single stage 'mon. I do also want to see more single stages in the future.

What did you think of Mega Aerodactyl when it was released in Generation VI compared to other Mega Evolutions? Did it need or deserve a Mega, and has it done the Pokemon any favours competitively in your opinion?
Due to Gen 6's nature in competitive play, I felt a Mega was needed to keep it viable. More contact moves (besides BB and HS) would benefit its ability, too! Besides that, I love its design!

Other things, I have a plush of it and I even bought the Premium collection (missing the pin sadly).

pkmin3033

650 - CHESPIN

latest

"The quills on its head are usually soft. When it flexes them, the points become so hard and sharp that they can pierce rock. "

You gotta stop, and look, and you'll be King of the Road~ Today's Pokemon of the Day is Chespin! One of the three Kalos starters, alongside Fennekin and Froakie, Chespin has that typical agreeable and optimistic grass-type personality, although that is about all it shares in common with the other grass-type starters. It is the first (and currently only) grass-type to be based on a mammal, with all others being based upon reptiles - or, in Rowlet's case, a bird - and is also the only grass-type starter not to be owned by Ash in the anime. Apparently, it draws its inspiration from the Warrior class in classic RPGs. In the anime, Chespin is owned instead by Clemont, one of his travelling companions and an electric-type Gym Leader. Mairin, a companion of Alain's in the Mega Evolution specials, also had one.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Chespin! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What do you think of Chespin's design? Would you like to see more grass-type starters based on mammals in the future?
  • Did you choose Chespin in X/Y? Why/why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back