• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

About Steam...

Years
So, do you have any suggestions on how to make Steam more manageable. My suggestion is that Steam essentially allows you to search for games based on the week and month they were released to the service. Especially useful if there was a game that caught your attention and then forgot about it without adding it to your wishlist.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
They need to implement a random game picker, the steam sales have caused me to have too many games to choose from imo lol. There do exist online services that do exactly that, but having one integrated into the steam client would be really nice.

Yukari

Said it before and I'll say it again: Steam DRM, is actually really tame. It does have limitations, obviously, but it also benefits the user unlike a lot of other DRM.

Now while I think it would be great if we get rid of DRM completely- and I can understand people being completely put off with the mere presence of it on Steam -it will never happen. Especially since developers have every right to impose whatever restrictions that they want to on their intellectual property and they often will at that. I've heard a lot of people complain that when you buy a game from Steam you're purchasing a license to play the game and not the game itself. But, this is always the case whenever you purchase a game- not just when it's on steam. The restrictions are more obvious, sure, but you still don't own the data on the game's disc; you do however, have a license to use it within whatever restrictions the developers choose. DRM just enforces those restrictions.

Besides: not everything on Steam has DRM.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
They need to implement a random game picker, the steam sales have caused me to have too many games to choose from imo lol. There do exist online services that do exactly that, but having one integrated into the steam client would be really nice.

i think so too. i have a hard time sometimes looking for games because there are WAY too many!

User19sq

I can't complain too much about Steam, but I do feel that it needs to be a bit more user-friendly with regards to developers submitting their content. Case-in-point: when the original The Binding of Isaac was released, the screenshot-saver didn't function well, or at all in my case, and I had to manually save screenshots and mess with the game's/Steam's files to upload them. Could stand to improve even still.

Yukari

I can't complain too much about Steam, but I do feel that it needs to be a bit more user-friendly with regards to developers submitting their content. Case-in-point: when the original The Binding of Isaac was released, the screenshot-saver didn't function well, or at all in my case, and I had to manually save screenshots and mess with the game's/Steam's files to upload them. Could stand to improve even still.

I think customer support needs to improve in general. :/

Which reminds me: I absolutely abhor the way that they make you wait before something want to sell actually goes up for sale if you haven't used the mobile guard thing. It used to be a few clicks before it would be put up, but now you have to wait and confirm the market listing and a bunch of other crap. I tried to sell some cards from Stardew Valley, only to find that they were going to be held for 15 days. And that can really screw things up for you with how often prices in the market fluctuate. :/ Yeah: you can remove the need for them by using a mobile authenticator; the problem with that is that I don't have a cellphone with service so I literally can't use it.

I get giving people the option of extra security but I loath the concept of forcing it down people's throats.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Can they give us an interface that doesn't look completely disgusting? Personally, the entire steam interface just does not look appealing to me at all. It's very poorly designed.

Other than that I'd like them to simplify Steam in general. There's just way too much going on in it when all I want is a simple online store for my games.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
It would be nice if they did something with Greenlight, considering that there's so much garbage and there's actually people who dig through that stuff and up/down vote things as they see fit. Just doing it for a bigger number doesn't really feel all that great, especially when that number decreases, anyway, as time goes on and trash gets removed.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
It would be nice if they did something with Greenlight, considering that there's so much garbage and there's actually people who dig through that stuff and up/down vote things as they see fit. Just doing it for a bigger number doesn't really feel all that great, especially when that number decreases, anyway, as time goes on and trash gets removed.
They might as well throw that program in the garbage along with all the trash that comes with it.

I have nothing against people pursuing their dreams and trying to get their games up in whatever way they can, but considering the amount of unfinished games that get on Steam both with and without Greenlight...I mean. This should get a few lights flashing. And worse, Valve doesn't promote the program as much as they used to, so in recent years it's basically become irrelevant to the masses and unknown to newcomers, basically making it a cesspool for upvote schemes and troll games. How fun.

I'm not saying that it can't be reworked into something effective, but it's been years since they brought it to Steam and it seems like even Valve forgot about its existence. Ironic, considering they've been continuously reworking the way games are presented on the platform to accommodate its massive library...and yet...eh, rambling. Point is, I agree. Something needs to be done with Greenlight.

Years
I actively abhor Steam with a passion. Their customer service is utterly terrible and they allow junk games to pass by unchecked and refuse refunds for said games just as often. DRM is a horrible thing, and creates more pirates than anything else, I feel. I just roll with GOG instead as often as possible.

Years
Isn't Steam allowing refund for any game if you played it less than 2 (???) hours?

Honestly, they're policy could have very well changed in the past year, but if they've refused a refund because 'You've unlocked an achievement' then I still say bollocks. There are better platforms out there, I'm sure, is all I was saying.

Yukari

Honestly, they're policy could have very well changed in the past year, but if they've refused a refund because 'You've unlocked an achievement' then I still say bollocks. There are better platforms out there, I'm sure, is all I was saying.

Yes, they changed their policy about refunds. Customer support still kinda sucks though. :/

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
I love steam myself. Been using it since around the time HL2 dropped, when it was all green blocks with yellow text. Good times.

I normally run it with a skin now, but even the stock theme looks perfectly fine to me. Everything does what I expect and is and leads where I expect.

It's DRM is for the most part unobtrusive and doesn't bother me in the least. Especially since it's not really a different policy as far as ownership goes with any other game with an EULA.

I go through extreme lengths to get non-steam games on steam as well. I've even fought with Msoft's stupid app chastity belt to try and be able to run their games through that (to no avail). I'm just so accustomed to the Shift Tab interface. It seems so barbaric to minimize the window to access the web, or discord, or respond to a steam message...

The one thing I will say is that the Customer Service still is horrid. While I'm perfectly fine with their current return policy (and have used it a few times) everything else is a pile of trash. I believe they have 9, maybe 10, customer service employees. That's the only way it can be so bad right? The poor chaps just get worn out. That's gotta be the reason...

Years
I feel that their service can be so poor because they currently have a mainstay in the digital PC gaming market. I mean, I don't necessarily like Ubisoft or EA, but aside from greed they at least attempted to gather a larger stay in the market. Too bad Steam only let's you stay with Steam. If they ever sink *poof* say goodbye to thousands of dollars you spent on your digital gaming collection. I always try to go analog as often as possible.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Yes, they changed their policy about refunds. Customer support still kinda sucks though. :/
Oh, lol.
So, one of the redeeming qualities of Steam has been killed?
What else is remaining? Sales?

Guess there are really fewer and fewer reasons to have Steam =D

Yukari

So, one of the redeeming qualities of Steam has been killed?
What else is remaining? Sales?

Guess there are really fewer and fewer reasons to have Steam =D

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand how exactly is making refunds easier to get killing a redeeming quality? c;

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand how exactly is making refunds easier to get killing a redeeming quality? c;
???
JDJacked mentioned they have refused refund because of achievement and you confirmed they changed their refund policy.
That doesn't seem like easier refund.

Also, I started the discussion with asking whether Steam's policy of returning any game with less than 2hrs still stayed and from continuing the discussion, it seemed like that no longer is the case and they changed it for the worse.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
???
JDJacked mentioned they have refused refund because of achievement and you confirmed they changed their refund policy.
That doesn't seem like easier refund.

Also, I started the discussion with asking whether Steam's policy of returning any game with less than 2hrs still stayed and from continuing the discussion, it seemed like that no longer is the case and they changed it for the worse.

Unless they've changed it within a few weeks than nope. I got a refund super easy on a game I had <2hrs on. Only took an hour an a half to go through to boot.

Back