• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Leveling Up

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2017
    I have just finished the storyline of Pearl, and basically accidentally played through the game only using Infernape and Floatzel. While these two finished the game in the 60s, I'm now finding it incredibly slow to level up and evolve any other mons. Has anybody else found anything like this?

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2017
    Oh I'm fully aware of the different experience groups. I'm talking about now I've finished the game and I'm trying to complete the pokedex, the entire process just seems so incredibly slow compared to pretty much all of the other games.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Hmmm, I get where you're coming from on leveling up. There's just not a lot of good training spots for like lv 25-45, I don't think? The best way to train earlier is the restaurant, and later would be trawling through the E4, but if you're trying to level up the normal way, like battle up to higher tiers with the 'mon you're working with, I... yeah, I can see it being harder and tedious. I had the problem in HG moreso than Pearl, but Pearl wasn't great for it either.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2017
    Hmmm, I get where you're coming from on leveling up. There's just not a lot of good training spots for like lv 25-45, I don't think? The best way to train earlier is the restaurant, and later would be trawling through the E4, but if you're trying to level up the normal way, like battle up to higher tiers with the 'mon you're working with, I... yeah, I can see it being harder and tedious. I had the problem in HG moreso than Pearl, but Pearl wasn't great for it either.

Yeah I guess this is what I mean... I tend to avoid training by playing through the E4, not sure why but it's just something I've always done. In a way I'm tempted to restart my game and try to play through with a more balanced team, but because I always follow my own code of somewhat arbitrary rules I'll end up in a similar situation.

It's just frustrating that in this game, I feel so far away from achieving anything. There's so many pokemon to complete the pokedex and I have very little motivation to try to catch them or evolve them or anything at all really.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Whenever I wanted to level Pokemon up in these games, I just used the VS Seeker on the Gyarados trainers outside Sunyshore City.

Years
  • Pearl and Diamond did feel painfully slow at times when revisiting the games from Soul Silver. I don't know what it is, but battles and their effects seem to take longer to 'activate'. If you're just leveling up, and don't care about special effects, just turn the effects off. It speeds the game, waaaaay up.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2017
    Pearl and Diamond did feel painfully slow at times when revisiting the games from Soul Silver. I don't know what it is, but battles and their effects seem to take longer to 'activate'. If you're just leveling up, and don't care about special effects, just turn the effects off. It speeds the game, waaaaay up.

I've tried doing this on other games too but it just feels weird... I wish at times that the games would be longer but the cinematics and animations would be clipped just a little, so that they still take the same amount of time to play but individual tasks feel quicker.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Diamond and Pearl in general had super slow battle animations. They did fix this in Platinum though!

Years
  • Diamond and Pearl in general had super slow battle animations. They did fix this in Platinum though!

I remember hearing about this. In the games the animations were all like "The Spirit bomb isn't ready yet!" and I just wanted it to be:

7d97e292a9da26054da950457a0817dd.503x352x1.jpg

Back