• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worlds with(out) characters

Years
So when imagining a new world do you tend to populate it with more than just generic people, by which I mean with specific characters who are important to that world and the events that transpire, or do you make sandboxes that don't have a specific purpose or direction and whose people are just along for the ride?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I build sandboxes. I like to have a world that works without depending on characters, because that's how our world works. It feels more real for a world to function without direct input from a specific person or group. Yes, they can impact the world and change its direction and influence its development, but the world does not depend on them to exists. I like it that way.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
Years
I like my worlds to have characters in it, just because it gives it more depth to the world. Don't get me wrong, there is this special characteristic about a world that gives off its unique flair, but without any characters in it, then whats the point of all of it.

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
I think I tend to have major characters that influence the entire world. I like to have it start out with no major influence, but I tend to look at my world as a collection of stories that shape the world. I enjoy great heroes and villains who nearly destroyed the world.

One example of mine is the large after effects of a nearly global empire spawned from the ambition of one man. Lorithane's population of Eshira can be linked to the actions of one commander. Perhaps the most notable, at least on an ecological scale, the entire island of the Violet Echos is the result of a Sommersti goddess backed into the corner.

Years
Since a lot of my worldbuilding is done primarily for the sake of RPing these days, I will usually build sandboxes. As time goes on I'll then gradually fill that world with both important figures through lore and storytelling as well as millions of generic people. Due to the nature of RPs, a lot of my worlds also get populated by the creations of others as well.

Back