• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • I noticed the download comes with a rtc.asm file. I assume this is for the real time clock, but I have no idea what to do with the file.

Also, the hotfix for me still shows the glitched trainer entry. :/ Doesn't affect gameplay though, just a visual annoyance it seems.
    That file isn't for people to use. It's for Shiny Quagsire. He licensed the updated RTC function under GPLv2. I have to release the alterations to the source code that I made on my end for legal reasons.

As for the hotfix, are you applying it to a clean ROM? The hotfix is the whole hack, and I have no problems with it now.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Is this just an issue with carts w/o RTC or does it not work with the EDGBA or an M3 that do?
    Is the ASM Read-Only for RTC, or is it pulled from R/S/E because those mess with the internal clock?
    I think you quoted the wrong person...

I'm not an authority when it comes to playing GBA hacks on actual hardware, as I currently don't have the means to do so. If the flashcart or hardware setup you use supports RTC, it should work fine. As for the ASM file, read my response to the previous person. It's there for legal reasons.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    I think you quoted the wrong person...

I'm not an authority when it comes to playing GBA hacks on actual hardware, as I currently don't have the means to do so. If the flashcart or hardware setup you use supports RTC, it should work fine. As for the ASM file, read my response to the previous person. It's there for legal reasons.
    I did, it's getting kind of late here lmao.
    Understood, I know you don't do day/night cycle so I guess the only way to check is to wait and see trying to get an espeon/umbreon, manually toggled RTC with the EDGBA.

I think the ones that use the FR RTC like liquid crystal are read-only, but I wanted to double check.

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    That file isn't for people to use. It's for Shiny Quagsire. He licensed the updated RTC function under GPLv2. I have to release the alterations to the source code that I made on my end for legal reasons.

As for the hotfix, are you applying it to a clean ROM? The hotfix is the whole hack, and I have no problems with it now.

I tried it both ways, first applying it to a previously patched rom, then to a clean one and had the same issue both times.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • I tried it both ways, first applying it to a previously patched rom, then to a clean one and had the same issue both times.
    Are you sure you're patching the hotfix file in the post I made above? If you patch just the hotfix (the filename is "Pokemon Throwback v161104 Hotfix.ips") to a clean ROM and no other patches, there shouldn't be any problems.

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    Are you sure you're patching the hotfix file in the post I made above? If you patch just the hotfix (the filename is "Pokemon Throwback v161104 Hotfix.ips") to a clean ROM and no other patches, there shouldn't be any problems.

Yes I'm sure. I think the issue may be that it isn't a BRPE base file. It's "1635 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)".

Like I said. doesn't affect the gameplay so far in any way. I can confirm that it only affects the sprite if you choose the male character. The female character doesn't have that issue.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Yes I'm sure. I think the issue may be that it isn't a BRPE base file. It's "1635 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)".

Like I said. doesn't affect the gameplay so far in any way. I can confirm that it only affects the sprite if you choose the male character. The female character doesn't have that issue.
    I don't know what to tell you, then. That's really odd.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    I don't know what to tell you, then. That's really odd.
    Hate to say it, but I'm also having the same issue. Tried the hotfix with both the full patch and individually patching.

edit: Testing with the individual patches, it seems to be a problem with the extras patch.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    Hate to say it, but I'm also having the same issue. Tried the hotfix with both the full patch and individually patching.

edit: for the individual patching, I get the issue as soon as I apply the customized Extra patch.
    1Lj4zZw.png

Hotfix works for my rom fine. No-Intro unpatched. CRC32 pre-patch: DD88761C CRC Post-patch: B8C46637

using mGBA 0.5.1 and also real hardware.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • To the site team: I hope you know that I only have the best intentions in mind for this site. I might not be an active member on it in the conventional sense, but I do sense that most of the people here are welcoming and kind. This is the kind of site where people are typically able to get comfortable and share, in one way or another, the similarity in appreciating one of the most interesting and fun video game and entertainment franchises in the world. I want people to feel safe here, that they don't have to be repeatedly pushed around by people with ill-intent.

To the Throwback players: I'm stumped now. People saying it fixes it and others saying it doesn't. Tell you what: I'll triple-check the patch when I put out the update tomorrow to make sure there aren't any issues whatsoever on my end.

For now, I need to rest. These past few hours have been really rough on my psyche.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    To the site team: I hope you know that I only have the best intentions in mind for this site. I might not be an active member on it in the conventional sense, but I do sense that most of the people here are welcoming and kind. This is the kind of site where people are typically able to get comfortable and share, in one way or another, the similarity in appreciating one of the most interesting and fun video game and entertainment franchises in the world. I want people to feel safe here, that they don't have to be repeatedly pushed around by people with ill-intent.

To the Throwback players: I'm stumped now. People saying it fixes it and others saying it doesn't. Tell you what: I'll triple-check the patch when I put out the update tomorrow to make sure there aren't any issues whatsoever on my end.

For now, I need to rest. These past few hours have been really rough on my psyche.
    I found 1636 - Fire Red Squirrels and it seems to match the rom I used. Someone else reported 1635 so maybe it's a bad dump but I can't seem to find info on that, #1635 seems to be "Crushed Baseball" from VENOM so I'm not 100% sure.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    I found something. The SNES acts as GB Sounds when interacted with. Unless it's intentional, don't let it keep you up at night!

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • I found 1636 - Fire Red Squirrels and it seems to match the rom I used. Someone else reported 1635 so maybe it's a bad dump but I can't seem to find info on that, #1635 seems to be "Crushed Baseball" from VENOM so I'm not 100% sure.
    Just to be clear, I don't use "scene" releases. The ROM I use to hack off of is a No-Intro-verified ROM. Saying the names of the ROMs themselves is just asking for people to Google them and do illegal stuff with it.

I think I have one more idea as to what may be going on: Are people renaming the ROM files to the same thing as the Throwback patch in the main download? If they are, emulators will auto-apply that patch and continue to cause the problem.
    I found something. The SNES acts as GB Sounds when interacted with. Unless it's intentional, don't let it keep you up at night!
    I'm guessing you mean the NES? That's... what. That shouldn't be happening. I don't ever recall changing that event to be that.

I might have jumped the gun on this release. I'll get out a proper fix tomorrow.

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    Just to be clear, I don't use "scene" releases. The ROM I use to hack off of is a No-Intro-verified ROM. Saying the names of the ROMs themselves is just asking for people to Google them and do illegal stuff with it.

I think I have one more idea as to what may be going on: Are people renaming the ROM files to the same thing as the Throwback patch in the main download? If they are, emulators will auto-apply that .

Just tried that because yes I did rename it to the main file. renamed it to the hotfix one and the issue was fixed. Thank you for dealing with my retardation patiently.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • v161105 now up!

I don't mean to go all AAA-dev on you all, but I need to pump out a day-one patch to fix some dumb issues with the game. It fixes both the graphics corruption at the beginning of the game and the NES acting like the GB Sounds item. One was an oversight, the other an unbelievable gaff. Get the download from the OP!

Changelog
    Just tried that because yes I did rename it to the main file. renamed it to the hotfix one and the issue was fixed. Thank you for dealing with my retardation patiently.

Don't worry about it! I'm just happy things are working fine for you now.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017

I think I have one more idea as to what may be going on: Are people renaming the ROM files to the same thing as the Throwback patch in the main download? If they are, emulators will auto-apply that patch and continue to cause the problem.

I'm guessing you mean the NES? That's... what. That shouldn't be happening. I don't ever recall changing that event to be that.

I might have jumped the gun on this release. I'll get out a proper fix tomorrow.
    I just checked because the other people were mentioning they were using scene releases and compared it against my rom. I was trying to say it isn't a rom issue because it matches, they must have mixed up patches.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • I just checked because the other people were mentioning they were using scene releases and compared it against my rom. I was trying to say it isn't a rom issue because it matches, they must have mixed up patches.
    It looks like they cleared up their problems now, which is all good. Also, I wasn't trying to jump on you in any way. You seem to think that often, but I promise you I'm never directing anything negative at you. It's all just honest responses. :)

FWIW, I checked the MD5 hash of that scene ROM. It's the same as the one in the No-Intro database.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Edit: So, my thread's open again.

For those of you who didn't know, I had it locked earlier to stem the tide of aggressive trolling that took place earlier in the thread. Most of those posts have been fully deleted, but a few remain.

Me unlocking my thread again is me putting my trust in you - the community - and the mods to keep things civil in this thread. If you see someone post something that is inappropriate, aggressive, vulgar, or otherwise awfully disruptive, please click the button on the right that says "Report Post". In the current default forum theme, it's the exclamation point in a hexagon in the top right of a post. Type a brief description as to why the post is offending, and send it.

Also, please do not let any troll dissuade you from your views on or enjoyment of Pokémon Throwback. Or anything, for that matter.

Thank you all, and have a nice day. The original post is below.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • v161113 now up!

I never said I was done, did I?

This new update brings fixes to some bugs that me and others ran into. It also brings something nice to players starting a new game: You now start the game with the Running Shoes!

To avoid extra confusion, I've separated the save compatibility patch to its own download. Only download and use that if you need it. I've also changed the way it functions. You no longer interact with the NES in your room if you need to use it. If you've applied the save compatibility patch and need to use it, speak to the attendant behind the left-hand booth on the second floor of any Pokémon Center. This is so that you can access the fix at almost any point in the game; Pallet Town becomes locked off for awhile once you enter Cerulean City.

If you plan on using the update, please apply the patches in the new download to a clean ROM.

Remember, if you have any questions or comments about Throwback, please PM them to me. Thanks, and enjoy!

Changelog

Back